Warped Rudder

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
It would be a lot easier to use 1" plywood, and possibly cheaper. Plywood is a laminate by definition. Why go wild on your own building something that already exists? A layer of epoxy on the outside will keep water out better than varnish. It can be painted if you don't like the wood grain to show. Marine ply should not have voids, which standard plywood will likely have.

Attachments

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I have not found 1 inch marine plywood locally. I have found 1 inch cedar. For a 14 foot boat, I think using a cedar board (epoxy coated) would work.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Fiberglass on wood would make sense to me. Any reason you haven't mentioned that. Even fiberglass over foam. Make it easier to handle too.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think you should use marine ply which will be more stable in shape than a board. I made a traditional barn door rudder for a dory I built using rods to connect several white oak boards. I trashed that design and made a blade from marine ply scrap I had. I had to laminate several layers together to get enough thickness to create a foil. It was far better than the barn door. It was shaped like an Spitfire airplane wing and was also a foil. Don't be constrained by what you think the design is. Fabricate a rudder that will be the best for sailing your boat.
To get marine ply you could nose around some cabinet making shops who might have some scrap. It is expensive to buy a whole sheet. But you can buy a thinner dimension and laminate it up to the 1". You also have an upcoming centerboard project.
You'll want the rudder to kick up in shallow water. And after trying to sail off a beach you'll know why.
People sail for different reason. But I can tell you the satisfaction I got from that dory riding on foils instead of boards was well worth the effort.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I appreciate the counsel! I've looked at a couple of ways to form a foil, regardless of which wood I use.

The rudder functions as a kick-up and I see no problem keeping that, considering the simplicity of the hardware and the solid top end of the rudder - useful for location of holes.

I will see about plywood and carefully consider what y'all have said.

Do not like working with fiberglass. At all. But I may end up working with it on this boat. There is a boat works shop an hour away from me that shows a mahogany daggerboard for my boat for $210. If that is still available (won't know for a few days), I would buy that instead of making one.

I've sailed quite a bit - long time ago - on dingy sailboats. Looking forward to some serious fun!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You'll spend at least $210 making a rudder if you have to buy marine ply.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
You'll spend at least $210 making a rudder if you have to buy marine ply.
I can buy a piece of red cedar for $35 and have more than enough wood to make the rudder as a simple board or as a built-up laminated stick board. Epoxy and glass tape won't add up to $200. I would like to keep the material cost of the rudder below $100.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I plan on going to town tomorrow for a couple of chores. Will pick up a cedar board and some epoxy to make a rudder. The boat shop that has a daggerboard for my boat is out of stock but plans on making more. In no hurry so this is good news.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I ripped up enough strips from the cedar board to make a 1 inch thick laminated rudder. Looks like this stuff is the best for bonding the pieces together; looks to be fine for coating as well. https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/product/product-detail/336142
Please post pics of your build. That approach works well for tillers as well. Here are some pics of one I made years ago
tiller3.jpg
tiller4.jpg

The plastic was to ensure I did not glue the strips to the floor.

... and here is a clearer shot of the stips in the jig

tiller2.jpg

... and clamped for sanding etc.

tiller5.jpg

Seven coats of varnish

Tiller1.jpg

Installed...
1669649402253.jpeg
1669649506218.jpeg

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
The folks at Jamestown said FlexEpox is not good for coating, but is excellent for bonding the wood strips together. I failed to asked what the coverage rate it. I have 11 sticks 3/4 x 1 inch and 34 inches long. Can't imagine the 8 oz package being enough but not I need the 32 oz package.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I ordered the FlexEpox - it should be here Tues next week. I've already made a tiller - have not finished it yet. Waiting until I determine what material to use to coat the rudder.

Jan 19, 2010
I ordered the FlexEpox - it should be here Tues next week. I've already made a tiller - have not finished it yet. Waiting until I determine what material to use to coat the rudder.
I have not used FlexEpox before but I have had good results with JamesTown's recommendations in the past. Those folks have good customer support. Let us know how it holds up.

I used Gorilla glue for my rudder and tiller repairs. I've read good things about Titebond III but I don't have first hand knowledge.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Please post pics of your build. That approach works well for tillers as well. Here are some pics of one I made years ago
View attachment 211212View attachment 211213

The plastic was to ensure I did not glue the strips to the floor.

... and here is a clearer shot of the stips in the jig

View attachment 211211

... and clamped for sanding etc.

View attachment 211214

Seven coats of varnish

View attachment 211210

Installed...
View attachment 211216 View attachment 211219
What would you coat the rudder with, if you were building one? Varnish, as with your tiller?

Jan 19, 2010
Glass would protect it. Especially if you put an epoxy barrier coat and then painted, but where I sailed with the rudder in the pics above was very rocky. I was always repairing a ding or gouge. It didn’t make sense for me to cover the rudder.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Do you think a rudder made of alternating pieces of wood bonded together needs a layer of fiberglass? This for a 12 ft boat.
No, it'll be just fine. Your not going to leave it in the water except when sailing. Besides, you said you don't like glass work. Several coats of varnish or paint will be fine. Best of all, you built it so you you can fix it or build another one.

• Helpful
Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
No, it'll be just fine. Your not going to leave it in the water except when sailing. Besides, you said you don't like glass work. Several coats of varnish or paint will be fine. Best of all, you built it so you you can fix it or build another one.
THANK YOU!