Warped Rudder

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I started work on the rudder today - epoxied two strip together for the leading edge of the rudder. Also a pic of the rudder in the raw - plan to epoxy it tomorrow after the leading edge has cured. Lastly a pic of the old tiller and the one I made. Will finish it in conjunction with finishing the rudder. To the right of the tiller is the daggerboard - waiting for a new one from a local supplier.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a power planer that I have used when shaping the rudder and tiller I made. If you don't have one yet, try looking at a pawn shop or CL for one. A project is always a good time to get a new toy. Power planers are great for this sort of job. I have this one

1670366221036.png

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I have a power planer that I have used when shaping the rudder and tiller I made. If you don't have one yet, try looking at a pawn shop or CL for one. A project is always a good time to get a new toy. Power planers are great for this sort of job. I have this one

View attachment 211407
I found a Makita KP0810 for sale for $100. Looks to be a good one.

Jan 19, 2010
NICE! That looks like it will be strong and should resist future warping.
I traced the foil on the bottom end (edge) with a sharpie... and as I planed to the line, I would "eye" it up the plank until it "looked" right-ish and then I finished shaping it with 60 grit paper and an orbital sander. Once it looked right, I then sanded it smooth with 120 grit. That went fairly quick and took a few hours. BUT! Save yourself a lot of work...you only need to get the foil shape on the part that will be in the water. I didn't figure that out until I had shaped the entire board...:facepalm:

1670425770129.png

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Thanks! I traced the foil shape on the bottom edge and have made note of the area that needs to stay flat, which fits inside the metal bracket.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
One way to make shaping easier is to make a template of your profile out of a scrap of plywood and then plan several grooves across the blank to that profile along the height of the blade. Then plane the rest down to those grooves.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I have made a template from a plywood scrap and traced that on the bottom edge. Interesting idea re; the grooves. I will noodle on that a bit.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have made a template from a plywood scrap and traced that on the bottom edge. Interesting idea re; the grooves. I will noodle on that a bit.
It is like "connect the dots". Your power planer does a good job of planing a straight line and the grooves give you a start and finish point.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Very nice. Go easy on the power planer, they can remove a lot of wood fast. If you are doing the "grooves", aka kerfs, do not go down to your finished size, leave it a bit large because you will have to smooth it out some more when you get down to your kerfs. It might be simpler just to use the template.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Very nice. Go easy on the power planer, they can remove a lot of wood fast. If you are doing the "grooves", aka kerfs, do not go down to your finished size, leave it a bit large because you will have to smooth it out some more when you get down to your kerfs. It might be simpler just to use the template.
Thanks - I will be careful with the planer.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I sanded the flat part so it fits inside the bracket and drilled the holes for the pivot point and for the bracket that attaches to the tiller.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
A local boat works shop makes mahogany daggerboards for this boat, very reasonable price. He told me he will get the wood next week and build one for me.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Looking good...... You might have established a side gig..:biggrin:

It looks like the tip of the blade is rather sharp. I suspect that will get banged up fairly quick if (when) you kiss the bottom. But that can be sanded out later when needed. :beer:

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Looking good...... You might have established a side gig..:biggrin:

It looks like the tip of the blade is rather sharp. I suspect that will get banged up fairly quick if (when) you kiss the bottom. But that can be sanded out later when needed. :beer:
It will be quoted with a penetrating epoxy sealer from Jamestown. Not too difficult to make. Lots of good advice from this forum.

Last edited: