Warped Rudder

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I just picked up a 1982 Vagabond 14. The wood parts need attention. The rudder is warped - here's a shot of the end. Can this be salvaged; if so, how? If a new rudder is warranted, what's the right wood to use?

Many thanks!

Attachments

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
If it's warped because it was exposed to rain and sun on only one side, you might be able to fix it by adding moisture (hot sponges perhaps) to the concave side. If that works, you would want to clamp it straight with cauls and let it dry, then refinish it.
If you are not concerned with preserving the look, you could flatten the sides with that router table and add fiberglass to build it back up.
If you are making a new one, mahogany would be standard but expensive. Waterproof plywood would work, but not look as nice.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
If it's warped because it was exposed to rain and sun on only one side, you might be able to fix it by adding moisture (hot sponges perhaps) to the concave side. If that works, you would want to clamp it straight with cauls and let it dry, then refinish it.
If you are not concerned with preserving the look, you could flatten the sides with that router table and add fiberglass to build it back up.
If you are making a new one, mahogany would be standard but expensive. Waterproof plywood would work, but not look as nice.
Thanks! Not too concerned with appearance. It was exposed to sun and rain by previous owner. I will protect the wood parts and sails from this point forward.

What sealant/paint is recommended?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
What sealant/paint is recommended?
If you are vanishing, get a good brand like Epifanes or Mccloskey, the less expensive Minwax spar doesn't really do very well for such high exposure purposes. I've lately tried the Rust-oleum spar based on some others advice but haven't had it long enough to decide how well it lasts.
As for paint, I'm not sure. I expect the normal two part paint that is great on fiberglass might be too brittle on a solid wood rudder, you need something that going to flex with the wood. Check out what Jamestown Distributors recommends, they have a lot of products intended for wood.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
If you are vanishing, get a good brand like Epifanes or Mccloskey, the less expensive Minwax spar doesn't really do very well for such high exposure purposes. I've lately tried the Rust-oleum spar based on some others advice but haven't had it long enough to decide how well it lasts.
As for paint, I'm not sure. I expect the normal two part paint that is great on fiberglass might be too brittle on a solid wood rudder, you need something that going to flex with the wood. Check out what Jamestown Distributors recommends, they have a lot of products intended for wood.
THANK YOU! I have yet to closely examine the daggerboard. Had to make a new tiller, so the rudder was first.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Just shopping for wood in case I need to make a rudder. Cannot find anything suitable that is 1 inch thick, actual. Everything is 1 inch dimensional = 3/4 inch. What I have is actual 1 inch - that is the space available in the bracket that holds the top of the rudder.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
1) You could, of course, fudge it. Make it out of 3/4 (actual) plus some thin straps or veneer or whatever to build out where the tiller is.
2) You could also find a lumber yard or wood working store that sells "four quarter" aka 4/4 (1 inch actual). You can find it online as well. This will normally be rough cut, so you will lose some to finishing.
3) You can rip up the planks and build a strip laminate. That would look beautiful and would be better at resisting warping.

Depends on how much work you want to put in to it.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
1) You could, of course, fudge it. Make it out of 3/4 (actual) plus some thin straps or veneer or whatever to build out where the tiller is.
2) You could also find a lumber yard or wood working store that sells "four quarter" aka 4/4 (1 inch actual). You can find it online as well. This will normally be rough cut, so you will lose some to finishing.
3) You can rip up the planks and build a strip laminate. That would look beautiful and would be better at resisting warping.

Depends on how much work you want to put in to it.
I found a nice article showing how to do option 3. If I keep the wood parts protected while the boat is on the trailer, warpage should not be a problem, should it?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Yes, warping should not be a problem if you do a laminate. You alternate the strips so that each strip warps in the opposite direction, canceling each other out. They also look great, especially if you use two different types of wood. Mahogany or teak paired with holly, maple, or cedar are traditional, but for your rudder pretty much any wood that appeals to you will be fine. If you can only go to a big box store, they will have red oak and maple boards which would look great together.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
The article I mentioned that explains how to make a laminated rudder says NOT to use oak; cedar and/or redwood. I have found a 1" thick cedar board.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Yea, it's difficult if you have to buy wood at the big box store. You can use red oak, but you have to seal it really well.
Glad you found a board. Post a picture when you finish it.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I am going to try and unwarp the old rudder. If that doesn't work, I'll build one. Many thanks for your help!

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
My carpenter friend said he sees no way to correct the warpage on the rudder. So I will plan on building one. Will keep y'all up on how it goes. I appreciate your help!