Tips For A Great Buff & Wax

PKFK

Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 36 Ottawa
OK Maine - i will bite.

Do you have any info on how to do dry buffing ?

// Paul

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
OK Maine - i will bite.

Do you have any info on how to do dry buffing ?

// Paul
You keep buffing while slowly increasing the speed and reducing any pressure on the pad at the same time. The compound will be dry buffed away. It leaves a great shine but for a novice can be a tad risky if you don't do it right and keep the pad moving at all times....

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Wax On !!!

Used the Presta Cutting Cream on the buffer and experimented a bit with dry buffing followed by 3M paste wax by hand.

Oct 8, 2012
Hobie 16, Daysailer II, 22 Lake Winnisquam NH
My father and I purchased a 1986 C22 over the winter. During the course of our off season I patiently collected all the recommended Presta Products, 3M pads and sandpaper, On & Off hull cleaner, some beautiful microfiber towels, a used Makita Polisher and some 885 wax. It cost me a fair amount of skeesh. We started one Saturday about 9 am or so. By 8pm that night I had absolutely the best finish to a hull you could have. What an amazing tutorial. I didn't skip a step or miss a hint. I have been going over these few pages in preparation since we bought the boat.

The icing on the cake was during our 1st launch. While we waited our turn at the ramp a fellow C22 owner approached me and asked if I had it painted locally or back down in Massachusetts. Hearing this was worth every penny, hour and hand cramp we endured.

Lastly I did not have any previous experience at all when it came to running the polisher. This fall I will attack the smooth areas on the deck. I honestly can't wait!

Feb 6, 1998
Lastly I did not have any previous experience at all when it came to running the polisher. This fall I will attack the smooth areas on the deck. I honestly can't wait!
Excellent! This tutorial was written for someone with no experience and I am always glad when it works for folks.... As you learned, the key is all the little details and the proper tools.....

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Main Sail,

I've searched through your tutorial and related posts but not found the answer to this question.

What masking tape should I use besides blue or green painter's tape on surfaces next to where I'll be compounding?

I've been using those at the waterline and rub rail, but they don't stay in place for long if they get any pad action. In one of the pics in your tutorial, you have what looks like a wide, black tape over the windows. I'll be doing my cabin top and sides soon and would like to be able to get as close to the frames and non-skid as possible without fouling the pads from the aluminum or making a shiny edge on the non-skid.

Is there a better product out there? Seems like something similar to packing tape would work best.

Thanks,
$tingy

Feb 6, 1998
Main Sail,

I've searched through your tutorial and related posts but not found the answer to this question.

What masking tape should I use besides blue or green painter's tape on surfaces next to where I'll be compounding?

I've been using those at the waterline and rub rail, but they don't stay in place for long if they get any pad action. In one of the pics in your tutorial, you have what looks like a wide, black tape over the windows. I'll be doing my cabin top and sides soon and would like to be able to get as close to the frames and non-skid as possible without fouling the pads from the aluminum or making a shiny edge on the non-skid.

Is there a better product out there? Seems like something similar to packing tape would work best.

Thanks,
$tingy
That was duct tape only to keep rain out because the ports had been removed. You avoid hitting the tape with the pad spinning towards the edge only away... This will require "edging" the wheel near tape.. Makes all the difference.. I generally use Frog tape these days...

nias

Aug 22, 2014
CS 36 San Francisco
Thanks for the wonderful write-up. I've started doing by boat and I've noticed that there are 2 main systems for grit levels for sandpaper. There is CAMI (North American system) and FEPA (European system that has P designation before grit). The 2 are in sync up till about 240 grit and then are very different. 600 CAMI is the same as P1200.

Maine, when you are suggesting to use 600 as the lowest grit to start removing oxidization do you mean P600 as that would mean 440 CAMI?

thanks.

Feb 6, 1998
Thanks for the wonderful write-up. I've started doing by boat and I've noticed that there are 2 main systems for grit levels for sandpaper. There is CAMI (North American system) and FEPA (European system that has P designation before grit). The 2 are in sync up till about 240 grit and then are very different. 600 CAMI is the same as P1200.

Maine, when you are suggesting to use 600 as the lowest grit to start removing oxidization do you mean P600 as that would mean 440 CAMI?

thanks.
P600. I only use "P" paper...

Sep 28, 2013
C&C 34 Traverse City
Following Main Sail's tips on a great buff job on my 1990 C&C 34+. Bootstripe still not looking great. I started wet sanding with 1000 grit. Then I tried 600 grit. Should all the oxidation come out with the wet sand? I'm scared to damage the gel coat but I think i need to sand more. Any ideas?

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Here's my effort...

Heavily oxidized blue hard dodger (600 grit sand on left, heavily oxidized "before" on right):
[/URL][/IMG]

Sanding & compounding (after 800 & 1000 grit wet sand on left, after compound on right):

After polish (both sides):

After wax (both sides):

After wax (alternate angle):

Sorry some of the photos are crappy, they were taken with wet hands in a hurry!

Oct 26, 2012
morgan 384 Tarpon springs
I just know all you guys are not going to believe me. Talk to the guy at Island Girl .com he is a chem eng in Hawaii . He sells a product called Island girl.
First you wipe on the purple excelsior war 10 min rise with water all your old gel coat now is shiney than wipe on clear Island girl liquid. No rubbing no rinceing and it shines like it was buffed.. Now its very pricey But i sware i have used it for 5 years now and hands down i have the shiniest boat on the dock ! morgan 384 lee

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Chemical engineers don't know that much. I am one!

This is an old product with lots of discussions you can find in the archives here.

Suffice it to say it's a last resort with old porous poorly maintained gelcoat which is easier than trying to restore the gelcoat shine if you want short term gratification. There are other similar acrylic finishing coatings which do the same thing which have been around for decades.

Sep 28, 2013
C&C 34 Traverse City
Don, Followed Mainesails buffing and the hull on my 1990 C&C34+ came out good except for spots along the blue and red bootstripe. Do you think Island Girl would help?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Don, Followed Mainesails buffing and the hull on my 1990 C&C34+ came out good except for spots along the blue and red bootstripe. Do you think Island Girl would help?
Depends on why polishing didn't work on those areas. In the short term, it would help but would require constant maintenance as the acrylic wears.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
+1 for the 3M wheels. They make removing decals almost trivial and there is no worries about damaging the gelcoat.

Cheers,
Brad
I have vinyl top stripes, and want to remove them and possibly replace. How much vinyl can you remove with one of these?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Another option for removing the stripes would be a wall paper steamer. We did this on our HV'36 and it worked great. I think it was the quickest way that I have tried (hair dryer/heat gun; Eraser & wall paper steamer).

Mcgray

Dec 24, 2014
pacific seacraft 31 cape canaveral
Question regarding the size of the compounding and buffing pads: the ones recommended are 9" yet the Makita polishers is 7 inch. Must one buy an adapter for the polisher to accommodate the 9 inch. Bet'cha can tell I haven't done this before

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
The 9" pad will fit on the 7" wheel. It just extends out an inch on each side and is designed to do so. Make sure you use a centering tube when you install it.