Tips For A Great Buff & Wax

Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
We also are getting ready to re-letter the transom on our new to us Catalina 27. We can still see the previous names (2) still ghosting in the gelcoat.

I have a borrowed buffer, a half gallon of Finesse it, 3M 600-2000 grit and a bottle of "Insulator Wax"

Also the boat is in the water. We only 'need' to do the transom before new lettering.

I think it should be okay, 1984 boat, doubt it was ever properly cleaned and waxed in the last 15+ years.

Thoughts on the "Insulator Wax"? We have been using with WONDERFUL success on the airplanes.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
We also are getting ready to re-letter the transom on our new to us Catalina 27. We can still see the previous names (2) still ghosting in the gelcoat.

I have a borrowed buffer, a half gallon of Finesse it, 3M 600-2000 grit and a bottle of "Insulator Wax"

Also the boat is in the water. We only 'need' to do the transom before new lettering.

I think it should be okay, 1984 boat, doubt it was ever properly cleaned and waxed in the last 15+ years.

Thoughts on the "Insulator Wax"? We have been using with WONDERFUL success on the airplanes.
Insulator is ok stuff but #885 paste is better. As for the ghosting there is one way to fix this........ Time & UV.....

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz

Doing the transom on our 1982 Catalina 27 in the water wasn't bad. Knee pads or a cushion to kneel on are nice to have. I used the #885; it was pretty easy to work with but got coated with soot quickly.

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 424 East Hampton,NY
Combo tape and plastic worked great!

Looks very cool and a lot less labor intensive. Please let us know how it holds up, I've not used it.....
I used this product over this past Saturday, and want to report to the group that it worked flawlessly! It was a very windy day, and the tape held beautifully, despite the wind. All you have to do is undwind the tape and plastic together in a convenient dispenser. After you finish the area you want to tape, you use the built-in cutting edge and cut cleanly. The tape then unfolds down about a foot from the tape and makes a perfect skirt for draining the on/off from the topsides.

I can highly recommend this product-- and it's a great value!

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Nu-Finish question

Debating whether to try Nu-Finish this year but I'm wondering if I will need to do anything different next spring before I polish and wax? Normally I wash then wipe with Toluene prior to polishing - is the Nu-Finish more difficult to remove?

Thanks,
Scott

Sep 6, 2011
We followed MaineSail's how to last year with great results. This year after a coat of Presta Chroma and Fleetwax looks just as good or better.

image-3698488782.jpg

A few people watched our progress and are planning to follow it too after watching our 30+ year old girl go from semi-chalky to sparkling.
SC

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
I've read through this thread carefully a couple of times and I tried it on my transom last year but didn't get the results I expected. Is it possible that the gelcoat on my '81 C22 is simply too badly weathered? The PO didn't take particularly good care of it.

After wet sanding by hand twice with 500 grit, then 1000, then 3M Rubbing Compound on a slow DA w/foam pad, then 3M Color/Gloss Restorer (like FinesseIt) on the DA, then two coats of Collinite 885, it's semi-glossy at best. If I look at the suface closely with a magnifying glass, there are lots of tiny pits/scratches still. I'm reluctant to sand any deeper for fear of going through the gelcoat.

Before I take on the rest of the hull this Spring, how do you know when you've cut enough? I'd hate to cut completely through the gelcoat?

Sep 6, 2011
I'm not sure how to answer on the sanding but was curious what type of buffer you were using? I started out with my existing but didn't see decent results so decided to try the Makita MS suggested since I originally had an inexpensive knockoff solution.

That made a huge difference for me. Does anyone have a good variable speed buffer you can borrow?

SC

Jul 23, 2013
I bought the Harbor Freight DA that most everybody likes and that MS says is acceptable. Ran it on the 4 setting or less. Worked great on my wife's car. Don't know any friends with anything better.

Thinking that I might not have sanded enough or that my low-end sandpaper was wearing out prematurely, I got a Hookit interface pad and some good sandpaper discs from the local NAPA auto body supplier to try with the DA, very carefully. I've used a RO on woodworking projects for years, so I think I can control the DA on gelcoat, especially considering the hours I've spent already on just the transom and I have the rest of the hull to go.

But if it's possible that the gel coat has chalked all the way through, I'll lower my expectations.

Feb 6, 1998
I've read through this thread carefully a couple of times and I tried it on my transom last year but didn't get the results I expected. Is it possible that the gelcoat on my '81 C22 is simply too badly weathered? The PO didn't take particularly good care of it.

After wet sanding by hand twice with 500 grit, then 1000, then 3M Rubbing Compound on a slow DA w/foam pad, then 3M Color/Gloss Restorer (like FinesseIt) on the DA, then two coats of Collinite 885, it's semi-glossy at best. If I look at the suface closely with a magnifying glass, there are lots of tiny pits/scratches still. I'm reluctant to sand any deeper for fear of going through the gelcoat.

Before I take on the rest of the hull this Spring, how do you know when you've cut enough? I'd hate to cut completely through the gelcoat?
The problem is that you are trying to use a DA to do a job that really requires a rotary buffer. DA's are also a lot different when it comes to performance and I can't imagine an HFT version would do much of anything. I own one of the best performing DA's you can buy and gelcoat just laughs at it... Also 3M color restorer is nowhere near Finesse It, it is an novice level product loaded with cheater oils and is a fairly heavy cut..

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sorry, but I once was banned from this forum for using the shorthand RTFM - now standas for FUNNY.

How hard is it for FOLLOW everything in MS's description of How To Do It?

Geez....

Jul 23, 2013
Maine Sail,
Thanks for the constructive, non-condescending advice.

[EDITED 6/26/14]
I bought a used Dewalt 849, the 3M compounding and polishing pads, and some Presta Ultra Cutting Crème. The results really are very different as can be seen in the attached photos. Notice the reflection of the fender strips and logo.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Polishing after using Nu-Finish?

Last year I put two coats of Nu-Finish on after polishing the hull. I did not apply anything prior to storage last fall, and I am wondering if I need to do anything to remove any remaining Nu-Finish prior to polishing this spring, or if I can go right to the Presta Ultra step? (I compounded in years prior and have nice shiny gelcoat at this point that just needs a light touch up.)

Thanks,
Scott

PKFK

Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 36 Ottawa
Presto chroma polish question -

I have been using both presto ultra cutting cream and then the presto chroma polish - with a Dewalt speed controlled rotary buffer and 3m pads.

The cutting cream is super easy to work with - but I find the chroma polish to be a bit of a bear.

The chroma seems to end up being very hard to remove with a microfibrer rag after using the machine - is seems to end up with an almost clay like consistency on the hull and needs lots of elbow grease to remove.

I have tried misting the pad with a spray bottle - but too wet results in lots of sling.

I start polishing at 600 rpm, and then go up to 1400 - but at that point the pad seems to start depositing move and thicker amounts of polish. And removal as I said needs lots of elbow grease with a micro fiber rag.

I have tried both the 3m yellow wool pad as well as the 3m white foam pads.

Suggestions are welcome !!!

Thanks,

Paul

PKFK

Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 36 Ottawa
Correction to the spell fixer errors in my previous post -

I was using PRESTA products - despite the incorrect wording helpfully added by the damm spell checker in my previous post !!

Paul

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Presto chroma polish question -

I have been using both presto ultra cutting cream and then the presto chroma polish - with a Dewalt speed controlled rotary buffer and 3m pads.

The cutting cream is super easy to work with - but I find the chroma polish to be a bit of a bear.

The chroma seems to end up being very hard to remove with a microfibrer rag after using the machine - is seems to end up with an almost clay like consistency on the hull and needs lots of elbow grease to remove.

I have tried misting the pad with a spray bottle - but too wet results in lots of sling.

I start polishing at 600 rpm, and then go up to 1400 - but at that point the pad seems to start depositing move and thicker amounts of polish. And removal as I said needs lots of elbow grease with a micro fiber rag.

I have tried both the 3m yellow wool pad as well as the 3m white foam pads.

Suggestions are welcome !!!

Thanks,

Paul
My guess is you're using too much product. There shouldn't be much left to remove by hand. The Chroma is only for a final polish after using something like cutting cream first, so you don't have to use much (a silver dollar sized blob on the pad at most). Not sure if it makes much difference, but I use the green Presta pads with Chroma.

PKFK

Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 36 Ottawa
Exactly !

I figured that out today finally. Vey small amounts of PRESTA chroma polish.

I was previously working based on Maine's photos - which showed a generous amount of product on the pad - basically an X and a + on the pad. - that is fine for the ultra cutting cream - but it is deadly when using the chroma polish - that seems to be waaaaay to much polish, and a recipe for a mess.

Maine - maybe you might want to edit your excellent instructions to advise folks to use a lot less chroma polish than the cutting cream.

Overall the look was superb - I had people coming up to the boat remarking on how fantastic the shine was !!

I used a Dewalt speed controlled buffer, plus The 3m pads, and PRESTA cutting cream lite and PRESTA chroma polish. Finished with the fleetwax 885. Extremely nice result !

HOWEVER - still looking for tips on the PRESTA polish to make it easier to handle !

Paul

Feb 6, 1998
Exactly !

I figured that out today finally. Vey small amounts of PRESTA chroma polish.

I was previously working based on Maine's photos - which showed a generous amount of product on the pad - basically an X and a + on the pad. - that is fine for the ultra cutting cream - but it is deadly when using the chroma polish - that seems to be waaaaay to much polish, and a recipe for a mess.

Maine - maybe you might want to edit your excellent instructions to advise folks to use a lot less chroma polish than the cutting cream.

Overall the look was superb - I had people coming up to the boat remarking on how fantastic the shine was !!

I used a Dewalt speed controlled buffer, plus The 3m pads, and PRESTA cutting cream lite and PRESTA chroma polish. Finished with the fleetwax 885. Extremely nice result !

HOWEVER - still looking for tips on the PRESTA polish to make it easier to handle !

Paul
Too much product and too low of a speed. Chroma likes to be brought up in steps and then "dry buffed" at the end. You can wet finish it but if you use too much it gets gummy... I need to update that for the Chroma...

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Got to start working on the boat, THanks Maine for the article. Great look, the gel coat compound was too agressive and after one full day, cutting creme and wax will be all for this year. Next year polish and wax again, but the boat looks GREAT.

Fortunately a neighbor helped coach: and we started ?dry polishing? with the creme. Made all the difference and very little wiping at the end. I did spritz some water and go over again for the stubborn spots.

Feb 6, 1998
Got to start working on the boat, THanks Maine for the article. Great look, the gel coat compound was too agressive and after one full day, cutting creme and wax will be all for this year. Next year polish and wax again, but the boat looks GREAT.

Fortunately a neighbor helped coach: and we started ?dry polishing? with the creme. Made all the difference and very little wiping at the end. I did spritz some water and go over again for the stubborn spots.
Eventually folks learn the art of dry buffing but I hate to suggest it in an article geared for folks who have never buffed..