Switching my 1976, Hunter 30 diesel to electric

Nov 27, 2020
hunter 32ft Rochester, NY
Blessingz has anyone swapped out their diesel yanmar engine out for an electric engine? If so where did you order it and what size does a Hunter 30 boat use. I’m doing some preliminary research online and asking experienced sailors what they would suggest. Thanks so much for your input.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The first question to ask is why? There are advantages to electric and also some significant disadvantages.

I assume you are sailing on Lake Ontario since you are in Rochester. Do you plan to cruise on the Lake? Daysail, or wander further afield?

On the Lake there are many days with little or no wind, a real problem when attempting a crossing. It seems when there is wind, it is in exactly the wrong direction.

There are 2 commercial systems available, OceanVolt and Torqeedo. They are not cheap, a Torqeedo system will run well north of $20K to install, especially if an additional battery is installed.

Have you followed Dan and Kika on Sailing Uma? They have a Pearson 36 that has been converted to electric propulsion. It started as a homebuilt system that has now evolved into a pretty functional system based on the Oceanvolt drive.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Club mates converted their Newport 28 to electric. Total failure...Solar and wind power were not enough to charge the batteries. A small Honda generator could make up the shortfall, but extended causing was not possible. Lastly it changed the sailing characteristics of the boat.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Cool project, range is the is the main issue, a secondary issue is range and once you have those two solved there is the range to worry about. Otherwise it is a fantastic idea I saw I think a Newport 28 or something with an E-drive in the wild sounded like the Jetsons car but much much quieter than a diesel, should be less smelly.

I do fear the suppliers fudge a little about the range, somehow claiming an electric HP is going to get you further or faster than a diesel HP, I am suspicious to say the least. Talk to those who have actually done it.

On the internet there is "Sailing UMA" a couple of architecture students that have now sailed all over the world and chronicled it. They went to E-Drive at some point then I think they went back but I think there is some honesty there.

Jan 11, 2014
On the internet there is "Sailing UMA" a couple of architecture students that have now sailed all over the world and chronicled it. They went to E-Drive at some point then I think they went back but I think there is some honesty there.
Uma is still has an electric motor, it is a Oceanvolt with the latest regeneration. Last winter they did buy a small Honda generator because they spent the winter and past summer above the arctic circle. Their solar would be much less effective and marinas and shore power were less available. Which gets to your point about range.

@Misfits repowered his Sabre 28 with electric. Not sure of the details. I believe he mostly daysails and uses the motor to enter and exit the harbor. For his application electric is fine.

Uma's electric also works for them. But they sail very slowly sometimes and have been marina dependent over the past year or so.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You state... "Little sailing experience"
A sail boat is primarily powered by sail. If I was powering a Sail Boat, it would be to spend money on sails.

Auxiliary power is not about the engine but the storage of power within the boat so you have this power source when you need it.

The best value and green responsible auxiliary power source for a Sail Boat is a diesel engine.

Now if this is about a film project and you have unlimited funds to expend on this project, then seek a Victron LiFePO battery package and power system or a TESLA Power package and an electric motor that will couple to your present shaft system.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
To me, this is a very interesting topic. I worked on electrical propulsion systems for 28 years before I retired, and I always thought an electric drive for a sailboat would be the way to go. I have followed the threads on the forum here, and watched the Uma series, and have come to realize that there are some caveats to installing the electric system. Number one is the expense of the components, and number two would be the cost of installing the system. A good, reliable system must be designed and installed by a professional. If you are capable, you could do it yourself, but the tradeoff will be the time spent designing and installing the system.
The intended use of the sailboat is another consideration. As mentioned here already on this thread, a daysailer would be a good application of the electric drive. As far as cruising goes, I think it could work if you sail or motor to an anchorage and hang around long enough to charge the batteries with solar and wind.
As an aside, I have switched my dingy to a Torqeedo outboard, and I have been very impressed with it's performance. I can go for days on a single charge, and can recharge it from the solar panels on my sailboat. It has as much power as my old 3hp Mercury, and is silent as I motor around the anchorage.
Good luck with your project, and let us know how it goes.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
There has been two 28/30 ft boats of great condition for sale in my area that have been converted to electrical listed for about two years now. Same or a little lower than their diesel counterparts. Converting seems to really impact resale. Given my experience with my 30’ over the past 5 years, I would not consider this unless the boat was a strict daysailer with every night coming back to 120volt power. I would highly recommend sailing it for a year or so prior if you haven’t already To get a good understanding of needs.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
A Diva 39 across the way from my boat was converted to electric several years ago and the owner says it was a big improvement. He mostly just day sails and really just uses the motor to get in and out of the harbour. That boat sails very well in the slightest of breezes so really doesn't need much of an engine. Unfortunately I don't know what system he put in.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
To try to summarize some of what I’m hearing here:
  • You cannot financially justify replacing a functioning diesel with electric, it must be for fun or to make a statement
  • You can likely use an all electric system if you only use it for docking/mooring and have shore power every night or don’t go out very often
  • It will be challenging to get by with an all-electric system for long range cruising unless you already have a very strong mindset to motor only as a very last resort, not just because you are becalmed

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don’t agree. An electric system that includes the capture of free energy is the future. If you want to really research an electric system start with a researching solar and wind generated electric systems. Ask. “How much kWh of electricity per day do I need to generate and how would I store it… then What would I be able to do to generate (x) kWh of electricity a day”. Once you have that figured out put in an appropriate electric drive

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
What happens if you go out for the day and an unexpected storm comes up and there is not enough battery left to get you back to the dock?
Fire up the gas powered generator? Call the gas powered Tow Boat? Just wondering.

Jan 11, 2014
What happens if you go out for the day and an unexpected storm comes up and there is not enough battery left to get you back to the dock?
Fire up the gas powered generator? Call the gas powered Tow Boat? Just wondering.
You sail through the storm.

The little Honda generators do not provide enough power to run the electric motor, only about 1800 watts (15amps @ 120v). They will charge a modest battery bank over a long period of time, say 5 hours. So, in the above scenario, fire up the generator and wait until the batteries are charged.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Heard years ago that the Russians were marketing a small nuclear reactor power plant for small marine applications. It required to be refueled every 15 years at the manufacturing plant. Don't recall hearing anything further about these so I guess it didn't take off and have not seen any glow in the dark sailors.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think that a small reactor would be both fascinating, and a long life power "solar similar" source of energy.