rOnDAYvous 2008 *bzz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Catalina C-27 Providence, RI
A rOnDAYvous sounds interesting...

My wife and I purchased an Oday23 last year and fell in love with sailing Narragansett bay together. We love it so much that we plan to sail the 23 for this season and upgrade to a 27-30 footer so we can enjoy some cruising. (We both are retiring this summer). A rOnDAYvous sounds like a great way to meet some like-minded people, have some fun and enjoy some real time at the tiller. My only concern is my experience and the size of my boat. When I was a kid I sailed the bay daily and even crewed on my stepfather's J24 during his Ida Lewis Y.C. regottas. But that was thirty years ago and I rearly sailed out of the bay. That's why I'm sailing the 23 this season, to brush-up on my sailing before I invest in a larger boat. My boat is old, but in great shape, she's fully equiped with up-to-date safety and navigation systems and I'm willing to try anything. So I'm asking for your experienced opinions, Do you think a rusty old sailer with his little Oday-23 make the trip to the Big Apple?

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
BaySailerBill

Welcome to the ODay family, After you make it to the Big Apple then there's the trip up the Hudson. You could always trailer it to the Hudson and launch it and that will make the sailing trip a lot easier.

RobG

Jun 2, 2004
Ericson 28 Noank, Ct
BaySailerBill

Don't feel bad about driving there (boat-less) either. We did last year and will again this year. We got to crew on Bill and Patty's beautiful Kukulcán and had a great time at the party after. But do come and meet lots of great folks! In regards to your question IMHO I wouldn't try that trip in a 23 (I have a 222). I would think it would be 3 long days each way and Block Island Sound as well as LIS can kick up pretty good. Just ask those who embarked into LIS last year on Sunday. Rob

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
Not a problem (necessarily)

BaySailerBill: Granted, Chelsea is a helluva long trip by boat from Narragansett, but if you've got the time and the skill, there's nothing that says a 23-footer couldn't make it. In 2003, for the inaugural rOnDAYvous, Mike C sailed his O-22 from Chelsea to City Island. So trailer your boat, sail your boat, or drive (if you must) to Chelsea, but be there. You'll have a grand ol' time. Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

Jun 2, 2004
Newsletter oops

Ahoy, mates! Pardon the delay in sending out the first issuse of the e-newsletter "The rOnDAYvous Report." It's all done, but for some stupid reason, every time I try to convert the working file to an Acrobat PDF, the software crashes. I'm working on the problem and should have the newsletter on its way to you in a day or two. See you in Chelsea! Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

Z

zeiger

swob

I just bought a 19' o'day and I don't have the original mount for the mast and I was wondering what it is thanks.

Jun 2, 2004
The newsletter is on its way

The computer issues have been fixed -- well, more like circumvented -- and the first issue of The rOnDAYvous Report has been sent out. If you'd like to be on the email list for this and other rOnDAYvous-related information, let me know on- or off-list. Obviously, I'll need your full email address to add you the the routing list. See you in Chelsea. Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

Jul 8, 2004
S2 9.1 chelsea ny
looks good Pete

I got my first issue and love it.....FYI everyone, the photo of my YC...that's just our storage/summer parking lot. You can't see the Clubhouse or rst of the property (unless you google map Chelsea Yacht Club) HOWEVER, I you can see my boat !!!

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
Please resend

Good Morning Pete We did not get the E-mail don't know why. Could you please resend it. Our E-mail is sddaj at embarqmail dot com. Thanks again. Scott

Jun 2, 2004
Oops

Sorry, Scott. Apparently I had your email address listed as ... at earthlink dot net. I've updated it in my contact list, so everything should be cool for future issues and other updates. See you in Chelsea. Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

J

Jim

Recently enlightened

Just recently heard about ROnDayvous and would like to be added to your mailing list. Thanks twohuns@aol.com

Jun 2, 2004
Stay tuned

Jim, Stay tuned to your inbox. I'll add you to the mailing list shortly and get the first issue of the e-newsletter on its way to you. I hope we'll see you in Chelsea. FYI, a flotilla will probably form up at Newport Marina in Jersey City for the trip up the Hudson. Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 40 New Bern
Stay tuned 2

We just had an email from the Meisters' and they are hoping to hit the rOnDAYvous this year. We may end up sailing in company with them on our way up to CT this Spring. Still need to check out the link to Newport (don't want to end up in California, either, at least not on this trip) and check out Eldridge's here. Right now the boat is torn apart, what with overhauling the speedometer paddle-wheel (remember, Pete?), fine-tuning the shaft gland, replacing the after starboard line chock which is involving some major epoxy work-they really did install all the deck hardware, then land the deck on the hull-and investigate a haul-out before we come North. We have moved to a new slip from the one behind the club house where we were, but which posed such a problem in getting in and out of. The new one offers straight in-and-out access, a longer finger pier, and MANY fewer birds to do their dastardly deeds. We are excited about the rOnDAYvous, and I guess that is the only way to get Dennis G. to attend, isn't it? Regards from the not-so-deep. yet MUCH warmer South, Patty and Bill, O40 Kukulcán, New Bern, NC

Jun 2, 2004
Absolu-tively!

Hey Bob, Good to hear from you! As I recall, you were on an earlier rOnDAYvous email list. But if my memory is faulty, no worries, mate -- I'll add you to the list, and send along the newsletter. Hopefully, we'll see you in Chelsea! Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

RobG

Jun 2, 2004
Ericson 28 Noank, Ct
Hey Mike C

Have you collected hotel info yet? There doesn't seem to be much of anything close by when checking Google Earth, Maps ect...By the way the YC is nicely represented on Marinas.com and has a nice web site too.

Status
Not open for further replies.