RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
OK now that we got the hint

See reply # 8 and part of # 7

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
Wind? I'll give you wind!

RAD, When I went up the Hudson (as far as Tarrytown) after last year's rOnDAYvous, I timed the currents just fine. Only problem was, a 30- to 35-knot headwind turned the river into "chop and slop," and made for a very interesting ride. Motorsailing, for sure. Still, what the heck. I was on vacation, on my boat, and it wasn't raining. See you in July. And stay tuned for the year's first issue of "The rOnDAYvous Report." Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

Jun 2, 2004
Wind? I'll give you wind!

RAD, When I went up the Hudson (as far as Tarrytown) after last year's rOnDAYvous, I timed the currents just fine. Only problem was, a 30- to 35-knot headwind turned the river into "chop and slop," and made for a very interesting ride. Motorsailing, for sure. Still, what the heck. I was on vacation, on my boat, and it wasn't raining. See you in July. And stay tuned for the year's first issue of "The rOnDAYvous Report." Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Pete,

Where did you get the current info? Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book? While I wait for the OFFICIAL info I'll start planning.

Jul 8, 2004
S2 9.1 chelsea ny
Official Announcement.............

alright already.......... The 6th Annual (YES YOU HEARD CORRECT....6th Annual) O'Day Owner's "rOnDAYvous" will be held at Chelsea Yacht Club, Chelsea NY ***Hudson River*** July 11-13 2008 As I gather various (and important) pieces of information I will pass it along to all of you. (I am putting together a Travel Ittinarary (sp??) for you all as well as stopping points along the way if you do not want to hump it all in a day (Yes you can get from The Battery to CYC in a day...albeit a LONG day. Chelsea is approx. 60 mi. North of the GW Bridge. Chelsea Yacht Club is approx. 3 Miles North of the Newburgh/Beacon Bridge (google earth the entire trip to see the route) I have made this trip more times than I can count (which is too bad becasue I take for granted all the wonderful sights and places along the river) The quickest it has taken me to get from the Battery to Chelsea in 1 day was 10 hrs. (I timed the currents perfectly!!! and had a 15 kt. Southwesterly helping me along) and the longest was 14hrs. (against current/wind/95 degrees/singlehanding/tired) I usually break the trip up the river into 2 short days with the first day (5 hours) going from the Battery to either Nyack (Nyack Boat Club) or anchoring off of Croton point, and then the rest of the way the next morning. (This is what I will suggest to all of you, as there are so many things to see along the river and you really want to observe these without feeling rushed)

Jul 8, 2004
S2 9.1 chelsea ny
Official Announcement.............

alright already.......... The 6th Annual (YES YOU HEARD CORRECT....6th Annual) O'Day Owner's "rOnDAYvous" will be held at Chelsea Yacht Club, Chelsea NY ***Hudson River*** July 11-13 2008 As I gather various (and important) pieces of information I will pass it along to all of you. (I am putting together a Travel Ittinarary (sp??) for you all as well as stopping points along the way if you do not want to hump it all in a day (Yes you can get from The Battery to CYC in a day...albeit a LONG day. Chelsea is approx. 60 mi. North of the GW Bridge. Chelsea Yacht Club is approx. 3 Miles North of the Newburgh/Beacon Bridge (google earth the entire trip to see the route) I have made this trip more times than I can count (which is too bad becasue I take for granted all the wonderful sights and places along the river) The quickest it has taken me to get from the Battery to Chelsea in 1 day was 10 hrs. (I timed the currents perfectly!!! and had a 15 kt. Southwesterly helping me along) and the longest was 14hrs. (against current/wind/95 degrees/singlehanding/tired) I usually break the trip up the river into 2 short days with the first day (5 hours) going from the Battery to either Nyack (Nyack Boat Club) or anchoring off of Croton point, and then the rest of the way the next morning. (This is what I will suggest to all of you, as there are so many things to see along the river and you really want to observe these without feeling rushed)

Jun 2, 2004
Eldridge

I almost always rely on Eldridge's for tide and current info (with a little help from the BoatersBox.com website). As Mike C will no doubt confirm, you get about 6 hours and change of favorable current on the Hudson. (Its lower stretch is technically considered a tidal estuary rather than a river, for whatever the hell that's worth.) Following current and favorable wind are golden on the Hudson. And yes, the scenery along the way rocks. For what it's worth, I'm planning to change my home base this year from Fair Haven to the Newport Marina in Jersey City,a couple miles north of Liberty Landing (see the link below). It'll dramatically cut down my travel time to Chelsea, and for once I won't have to deal with drawbridges to get to open water. Yay!!! For those coming from the South Shore, it's as good a transient stop as Liberty Landing. About $1.50 a foot cheaper than LL, and you're not in the middle of nowhere as far as land-based needs (like provisioning, etc.) are concerned. If anyone wants to pre-rOnDAYvous there, let me know. See you in Chelsea! Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

Jun 2, 2004
Eldridge

I almost always rely on Eldridge's for tide and current info (with a little help from the BoatersBox.com website). As Mike C will no doubt confirm, you get about 6 hours and change of favorable current on the Hudson. (Its lower stretch is technically considered a tidal estuary rather than a river, for whatever the hell that's worth.) Following current and favorable wind are golden on the Hudson. And yes, the scenery along the way rocks. For what it's worth, I'm planning to change my home base this year from Fair Haven to the Newport Marina in Jersey City,a couple miles north of Liberty Landing (see the link below). It'll dramatically cut down my travel time to Chelsea, and for once I won't have to deal with drawbridges to get to open water. Yay!!! For those coming from the South Shore, it's as good a transient stop as Liberty Landing. About $1.50 a foot cheaper than LL, and you're not in the middle of nowhere as far as land-based needs (like provisioning, etc.) are concerned. If anyone wants to pre-rOnDAYvous there, let me know. See you in Chelsea! Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Chuck,

You wouldn't be near the city at all,Chelsea is just north of interstate 84 on the eastern side of the Hudson River and getting to 84 from the NYS Thruway is a breeze. In fact most of the road trip would be major highways.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 40 New Bern
rOnDAYvous, Whee!

Thank you for the info! I recognized the place from the picture before I opened the link. I'm still not on the Sailnet stuff so keep it coming here, thank you-No offense to our SailboatOwners site. We also just moved Kukulcán from BridgePointe Marina to Fairfield Harbor, and she is looking good and we can see her from the house now. Who woudda thought? About the only tip I could give about going up the Hudson is don't do it at night single-handed, and there is a very sharp left at West Point. As far as other O'DAYers, the Meisters appear to be in and around Key West and having a wonderful time. Just saw our first temps at less than 30F, but we'll be back in the 50s tomorrow. Pete, congrats on your move-I can see how it helps boat travel, but how about travel from home? Good to have something to look forward to-and it will be one guitar, space is limited. Someone else will have to try to dig something out of Defender this year. Have a warm winter and safe sailing, Patty and Bill, O40 Kukulcán, New Bern, NC

Jul 8, 2004
S2 9.1 chelsea ny
the short keelers........

yeah, look at all those boats with the stubby (ooops, I mean "shoal draft" ) keels. Us "deep" keeled boats were over on the other side of the dock......... here's a link to one the 2nd annual at Liberty Landing Marina.......

Jul 8, 2004
S2 9.1 chelsea ny
more info next week......

ladies and Gents, I will be putting together some early info regarding this year's rOnDAYvous over the weekend and sending it out to those who are on the mailing list that Pete has. If you are interested in getting this info and are NOT already on the email list, please let us know so that we can put you on it!!!! Damn it's cold today.......BUT spring is right around the corner.

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
we are interested

sddaj at embarqmail dot com Please include us with the mailing. Thanks Scott "On Eagles Wings"

Jun 2, 2004
Done deal

Scott, You're on the mailing list. Great to hear of your interest -- another Jersey sailor in the group! (Why not think about splashing your boat at someplace like the Englewood Boat Basin and sail upriver?) See you in Chelsea. Stay tuned for the newsletter. Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
Sounds good

Do you know of a place that can launch my 23 from my trailer via a lift to the water? I don't want to dip my trailer into salt water. I have been having enough problems with the brakes hanging up. Would very much like to travel the river and explore once we splash. My dad lives in Hackensack so he could very eaisly drive my car and trailer to his house for a week or so to give us time to explore. We were planning to attend last years but had to bail for an unanticipated health situation. That is thankfully behind us now. Tonight I leave with our scout troop for the winter Klondike. Lots of fun. Thanks Pete we are looking forward to it. Scott "On Eagles Wings"

Jul 8, 2004
S2 9.1 chelsea ny
what you could do is.....

Scott, you could start your vacation sail at Chelsea (we have a 2 ton lift), leave the car right there for a week (no problem) travel either north or south from Chelsea and back then return home. (probably head south with the other O'Day's heading home, get as far as Nyack, turn around head back to Chelsea, maybe go north to Kingston (lovely place to stay overnight) and then back to Chelsea before heading home)

Jul 8, 2004
S2 9.1 chelsea ny
I have answers!!!

AmTrack stops in Poughkeepsie...about 10 miles north, but you can use my car to pick them up). As far as beer........I can't remember what flavor you made last year (it was good nonetheless) but middle summer.how about a wheat beer?? I'll bring the lemons.

Jul 8, 2004
S2 9.1 chelsea ny
I have NO pics form the weekend

my camera got trashed with any pics I did have, although any picture I took that weekend probably ended up real blurry.

Jun 2, 2004
You want pictures?!?

I can help to an extent. I have (on my PC hard drive) all the photos that I or my wife and daughter took, plus Eric's and a bunch taken by Pete English. You want photos that have you, your family or boat? Let me know and I'll ship what I have of them off to you. Pete s/v EmmieLou (O-322) Little Silver, NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.