Restoration of 1981 C-22 swing keel #10580

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Wouldn't polycarbonate or original glass be better than plain acrylic/plexiglass ?
I've been reading several articles and write ups from industry and it seems that Acrylic is better, below are a few quotes from another post, but the big thing for me is that you can't find U/V & Scratch resist coated polycarbonate is small quantities (less than 4x8 sheets).

"All major hatch, portlight and window manufacturers use Acrylic in offshore / bluewater marine products.

Acrylic is more scratch resistant than standard (9034) polycarbonate.

Acrylic is significantly more durable when exposed to Ultra Violet radiation (sunlight).

Acrylic is less expensive than Polycarbonate.

Don't misunderstand my preference for acrylic. I buy, use and sell a significant amount of both products and each has its application. In my humble opinion Acrylic is more durable, versatile and cost effective in the hands of a skilled craftsman than polycarbonate.
"

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I've been following that thread also, as my windows are showing their age a little.

So your windows will be frameless, like the new design?? That'll be sexy!

For whatever it might be worth, Catalina did use screws in the new design boat windows (I assume, since my windows have screws). I do have a non-critical crack at one screw though.

I am also unsure whether the factory used lexan or plexi on the new design. Maybe someone can educate me.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
not positive but I'd say 98% sure it's lexan. for one plexi would be scratched up from hell. Lexan is way way more scratch resistant and my boat has no scratches in the windows so I'm going to say lexan.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Interesting. I didn't realize that polycarbonate had UV problems.
I wonder what they use for windows ? Just polycarbonate with that coating you mention ?
Makes me wonder which type I got from the local glass shop, when they cut a couple replacement foredeck deadlights for my New Style.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
What is a foredeck deadlight? I must know it by some other name, and/or it must be something my boat doesn't have.

Allen, I'm guessing the side windows are Lexan also, since they're crazed in the exact same manner as the forward hatch, which (I'm told) is Lexan. The CD replacement lens is definitely Lexan; it's in my "wish list". :D

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
What is a foredeck deadlight?
I've always known the term deadlight to mean a port that won't open but allows light in.

So in this case I mean the plastic lensed, non-opening port, on the deck in front of the forward hatch. It's a bad attempt at letting light into the v-berth, before they started putting the "real" hatches above the v-berth.

EDIT: I just updated my thread with photos of the deadlight modifications I made.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
I like those replacements I've seen that are a crystal. Seen those? they let light in and the angle stuff makes the light shine in all directions instead of just down.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I like those replacements I've seen that are a crystal. Seen those? they let light in and the angle stuff makes the light shine in all directions instead of just down.
I've seen the triangle type ones on older boats, but I've never seen a kit or something for the C22.

Gene: I looked for a wide shot photo of the deadlight but can't find one. CD has a kit and says it was used on a bunch of Catalina boats. If the I remember, I'll take a photo when i'm on the boat. I could have sworn I posted info and photos in my refit thread, but I can't find it. CD's replacement kit uses polycarbonate, which make sense since you end up standing on the thing when on the foredeck.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Luke and Gene: SBO sells a kit that replaces the plexiglass/or glass in both versions, and they also have a opening screened port kit for $195 :)
Anyone know what the opening port kit looks like ?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
don't know off the top of my head but this one is 9" by 3" seems pretty close to ours.

Also costs 193 bucks. :puke::yikes::wow3:

http://www.sailboatstuff.com/images/DC-2414LG.jpg
Yeah not surprised if the bronze frame comes with the glass section. One issue I thought of last night was it sticking down into the v-berth where someone would mash their head on the corner of it. Might be ok though. The deck in that area is pretty thick.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
hehe I mash my head on the t-bolt ends for the forward hatch every time I stay on the boat. Oh and usually my back as well. Oh and the same ones for the pop top cant forget those.

Lets just say I have an ice pack on hand along with a Band-Aid hehe :banghead:

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
hehe I mash my head on the t-bolt ends for the forward hatch every time I stay on the boat. Oh and usually my back as well. Oh and the same ones for the pop top cant forget those.

Lets just say I have an ice pack on hand along with a Band-Aid hehe :banghead:
I'm sure many others out there feel your pain, I certainly do!! I gashed my head on a valve stem at work last year, then went on board my boat and hit my head on a pop top bolt and knocked the same cut open all over again. Since then, I've taken some small pieces of plastic pipe and threaded them on to the pop top and fwd hatch bolts so that the knob covers up all the formerly exposed bolt. I still hit my head or back but it's not nearly as bad now....

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
I've seen someone else use little tiney tennis balls like we have bought for our little dog. You can buy them at the pet store. like a 1/10th version of a tennis ball but made of the exact same stuff and it sticks on there after you cut a small slit in it.

My issue is that I cut mine off a year ago to stop from knocking into them so hard so the balls wont stay on cause I cut them short.

Anyway if you have them long still those tennis balls are like 2 bucks for 6 of them.

Oct 31, 2015
Catalina 22 Ithaca NY
Wow, spent the morning going through 26 pages of your thread. I had no idea that West Marine has payroll direct deposit ;o) Impressive work and diligence, that Catalina is getting some serious love! I'll stay tuned...

Best regards,

M

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I've seen someone else use little tiney tennis balls like we have bought for our little dog. You can buy them at the pet store. like a 1/10th version of a tennis ball but made of the exact same stuff and it sticks on there after you cut a small slit in it.

My issue is that I cut mine off a year ago to stop from knocking into them so hard so the balls wont stay on cause I cut them short.

Anyway if you have them long still those tennis balls are like 2 bucks for 6 of them.

Of all the dog toys my neighbors have showered on my little Skwerrel Terrorist, I haven't seen anything like those in his collection but you can bet I'll be buying some now and seeing how they work. Thanks for the tip.