Restoration of 1981 C-22 swing keel #10580

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
So now I'm at a bit of a fork in the road about what to do next... I can continue sanding and prepping the rub rails and into the cockpit so I can prime all of it. I can also finish sand the primer on the cabin top and topcoat it with Brightsides, the advantage to that is that I can install the windows I just made and bed the mast step. In any case I have two big things working against me. First, its pretty cool in my garage, about 60 degrees. I was thinking about getting a space heater that fits on a standard 20lb propane bottle. The paint won't do well under 70 degrees and neither would the window adhesive. The bigger issue is Grad School... I'm basically buried in Homework and group projects until the 22nd of Jan, I really can't afford to not be studying every single day.
Darn it, just when I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
Take care trying to heat garage with any heater that uses fuel/gas. Another mechanic on our airport painted an airplane with kerosene heaters running. Some byproduct of the combustion caused the paint to peel off in sheets a few days later. It was like the metal had been greased!

Lane

Sep 8, 2014
Lane, thanks for the heads up. When I was a kid we had various heaters that used kerosene, one was called a Salamander and was like a small jet engine. It was a forced air heater and it was LOUD. Anyway, these days I'd never use such a thing in my shop, I'd only use something that runs off propane.
With all the homework I have to do, I think I'll just skip buying a heater anyway and hopefully it will warm up by the time I get to the paint.

Take care trying to heat garage with any heater that uses fuel/gas. Another mechanic on our airport painted an airplane with kerosene heaters running. Some byproduct of the combustion caused the paint to peel off in sheets a few days later. It was like the metal had been greased!

Lane

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
It could be worse: 18 degrees and snowing and I'm moving my keel around! Jealous of the San Diego weather.image.jpg

Sep 8, 2014
My Christmas present from my sister arrived a little late... Not sure what was going on at Atlantic Rigging Supply, but these winches were ordered in November and finally arrived on Jan 14th. No worries, they are finally here and they look great. I think the Andersen winches are a best buy, a stainless steel drum which won't fade like anodized aluminum will and won't eventually corrode and flake like chromed bronze. At $159 each I think they are a great deal, pretty much exactly the same size and mounting bolt pattern as the stock ARCO 6's that were on my boat.
FYI, I noticed Atlantic Rigging Supply raised their price to $189, but West Marine now has them for $159. I was going to move my ARCO 6's up to the cabin top as Halyard winches, but I like these Andersen 10's so much I just might buy a second pair... boat jewelry!

Sep 8, 2014
Too bad you weren't a better brother or she would have got you the self tailers ;)
Funny you mention that.... I like these so much that I might get a second set for the cabin top -OR- I might use this set for the cabin top and get the self-railers for the primary sheet winches...
At the painfully slow rate I am getting my resto done (because I have no time with all my grad school work), I guess I have plenty of time to save up for the self-railers if I really wanted them.

Sep 8, 2014
I shouldn't sound surprised, but I looked up the price for the smallest self tailer that Andersen makes which would also be the correct size for the C22 anyway (the 12 ST)... Just under $500 each. So $1000 to have self-tailers? I dunno... Its kinda like doing crazy DIY upgrades to my house. I live in a newer construction home (2004) and its fairly nice, but there are a few things that I would like to upgrade like the unremarkable tile floors in the kitchen and bathrooms. I'd like something nice like travertine but at the end of the day the tile works just fine and there is nothing wrong with it. I live in a really blu-collar neighborhood, nothing fancy... so upgrading my floors to travertine would be really expensive and probably 'too much for the neighborhood' as they saying goes in terms or ROI in real estate.
Funny you mention that.... I like these so much that I might get a second set for the cabin top -OR- I might use this set for the cabin top and get the self-railers for the primary sheet winches...
At the painfully slow rate I am getting my resto done (because I have no time with all my grad school work), I guess I have plenty of time to save up for the self-railers if I really wanted them.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Self tailers are wonderful, but not as desperately needed on your boat as on the new design. At least on your boat you trim the sheet by pulling it INBOARD, not dead AFT like you're forced to do on new design boats. It's an unforgivably stupid flaw, given that Catalina had SIXTEEN YEARS to think about it.

Jun 23, 2015
Catalina 22 Vashon
I'm glad you are back at it. Better than new! Do you have a ladder on the transom?

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
I'm glad to be getting back to this forum and see that you haven't quit on your restoration! Keep up the good work, it's looking good!

Sep 8, 2014
I'm glad you are back at it. Better than new! Do you have a ladder on the transom?
Yes I do, I just won't be installing anything that requires bedding until I decide if I will wet-sand and do one last coat of topsides paint or just stick with what I have. I might have the chance to spray it in a real booth, time will tell...

Jun 23, 2015
Catalina 22 Vashon
Safe to say you won't sell the ladder? Any pics of it installed or of the ladder itself? I want to get one and I wonder what the options are. What will your graduate degree be in?

Sep 8, 2014
Some more post Christmas goodies... Inboard track and new genoa cars. The Ronstan cars have push-button locks and come equipped with 40mm orbit blocks. The blocks take a max line size of 5/16, which is probably why they have been on sale... I've been watching the sale price steadily drop until they reached $39 each, at that price it is worth it just for the cars and I can swap out the blocks later. My sheets are 3/8, I already test fit my lines. 8mm still works well but thats what I got for halyards, the 3/8 for the sheets is for sure too big. Worst case, I can switch down to 8 mm or 5/16 sheets.
The tracks are only 3 foot 3 inches (39") vs the OEM 48" outboard tracks. As you can see in the pic I'm going to mount them with a stand-off from the cockpit combing to the rear of the track. That way I can still slide the cars off the track from the back, but the leading end will have the tapered tip on it. I figure my most extreme lead angle won't have me running the car that far back anyway, and I'm only 3 or 4 inches shy of the original track footprint on the front end. I won't permanently mount the track until I pretty much have all the rigging set up as well as my bimini top, just in case there might be mounting hardware conflicts.

The whole deal with 2 39 inch tracks and 2 genoa cars came in at $215 with free shipping;

Sep 30, 2013
Luke, can you tell me what the original measurement was between the bow fitting and the forward end of the genny track?

Maybe it's just me, but it always seems like the genny tracks on my boat are way further aft than they should be.

Sep 8, 2014
Luke, can you tell me what the original measurement was between the bow fitting and the forward end of the genny track?

Maybe it's just me, but it always seems like the genny tracks on my boat are way further aft than they should be.
Well Gene, by the way the crow flies (which is a tape measure roughly straight from the end of the outboard track to the bow/stem fitting its about 12 feet 3 inches. If I curve the tape along the inside edge of the toe rail I get about 12 feet and 6 inches.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Winches that pretty could make a man want to upgrade his boat in order to keep up......

Sep 30, 2013
Well Gene, by the way the crow flies (which is a tape measure roughly straight from the end of the outboard track to the bow/stem fitting its about 12 feet 3 inches. If I curve the tape along the inside edge of the toe rail I get about 12 feet and 6 inches.
Thanks, man. My straight-line measurement is only slightly longer, at 12' 8".