Repairing boat after Hurricane Zeta

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My boat floated ashore after a 14 foot surge snapped 2 Hurricane lines and un-spooled 2 others from their bollard tie off.

My boat is fully insured, by Progressive, and their contact from claim was within 4 hours from the adjuster.
After a few questions, they eliminated collision, was I on board, fire, etc.

Moving it a Named Storm incident.

I up loaded pictures, location, videos, etc to Progressive's easy to upload data spot.
_____
In less that one day, I was called by SeaTow of Coastal Mississippi to get pictures and location.

I also made reservations at a full service Dry Docks about 5 miles, by crow flight, away from my marina.
______
SeaTow worry was if the hull was water tight.
I just finished the very valuable telephone call from...

Hunter boats "1-One service" available thru SBO. [Joe Kerr was the consult]

Joe was prepared for my questions in advance.

I was worried about my Rudder being "pushed up" and if that Rudder Tube movement would leak inside the cabin.
Answer: No way to leak in cabin.:biggrin:

We both had the shop drawings of the Rudder bearings and a picture of my steering Quadrant, which was the key to understand how the rudder is installed and secured to the boat. Very enlightening discussion, and Joe clarified my rudder situation.
They are sending me a quote for a new rudder too.:biggrin:
______

Saba is my boat name, by first owner.

The Zeta surge wave [not rising tides] set Saba down gently as shown in picture. Note the mast is vertical.

SabaonLandsmall.jpg

Rudder damage, but hull intact. As the surge fell back, she settled gently to this spot.

CanalTieUpSmall.jpeg

I will continue to update this thread with progress.

We are very upbeat in our feelings and got great service from all, so far.
Jim and Sue....

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Best of luck going forward. It sounds like you have a head start!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great to hear the SBO support program is going strong.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
It's tough to see your baby like that but it seems your on the path to recovery - glad to hear Progressive was so responsive as they're my insurer too :) Saba is a word that appears in many different languages with different meanings - any idea how the PO chose it?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Rudder damage, but hull intact. As the surge fell back, she settled gently to this spot.
Perhaps too early for humour but

DAMMIT JIM! :)

Looks like a paved road in the background. After the ground drys out and stabilizes, big truck crane could pick her up, place her gently on trailer and you are on your way back to “deep” water!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
any idea how the PO chose it? [ boat name]
Yes I do know how PO picked the name.
All of the boat info was aboard when we bought it. [first in water 4/14/1999]
He and his wife did a Vacation through various Islands in the Caribbean.

Saba is an island. [click on blue link for info]

The boat came with customs "Saba" mats, glasses, etc.
Also decals on the boat were there.;)

We voted [15 votes] on a Name change and Saba was the unanimous choice.
Alway fun to hear radio responses to s/v Saba call.

Jim and Sue...

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The RUDDER...
This is the obvious damage to the boat.
When we first tested the boat, I did a hard over, turn and the 43' boat made a ≈55' foot circle and very responsive.:)
Opinion: Hunter design team did a great job.

Here is picture on the Hard in Tampa Bay for general work in Jan 2014, when we bought her.
RedRudderSmall.jpeg

As she sat down, the keel and Rudder bore the weight first, but as water receded, the keel slipped on the wet ground, driving the Rudder upwards till it bore maximum weight.
Rudderdamage2.jpg
Shown at ≈90° versus rudder limits of ±24°. To do that turn, the "Rudder Tube" that is Fiberglassed to the Hull via a passage hole in the stern. That passage hole is isolated from the interior, thus preventing the boat sinking from rudder damage:cool:

The Rudder Tube contains the Rudder bearing that are also in a "precision cut tube".
That tube is made of this material

UHMW

They reason Hunter used it... Precision cutting and very strong material for stresses.
The top part of that UHMW tube is the white circle on the Quadrant in this picture [Fig #1].
Steering.png
[Fig #1]
That Steering Quadrant use is where I was "enlightened" on its multiple functions, by Joe Kerr [ see post 1]
If I remove the Quadrant, the Rudder will drop freely.:eek:
The Rudder Bearing Tube is bolted to the Quadrant, not seen.
That whole area of the boat has many factors in its design.
Well done Hunter Design team!!
_____
How the Rudder turned 90° and the Damage.

oopsFiberglassPushedup.jpeg

If you look closely you can see the Rudder Tube and a "spiral" on outside. That spiral is the "glue" that affixed that Tube to the hull.
Hopefully that Rudder Tube is ok.
____
The good news is my hull it water tight!!
_____
Boat Towing Services & On-Water Assistance | Sea Tow
Has many services. The have barge cranes and land cranes that can lift my boat and put on trailers or in the water.
I voted back in the water since the hull is good and no mast to step.

Here is what i think will happen on the lift and once no supporting weight on the Rudder.
1) We can "tap" the rudder back to proper spot.
2) The rudder tube will drop back into the hull spot.
3) Wild Azz hope, I will still have rudder control.:pray:

If I still have Rudder control, I can motor to the Dry Docks!!!
_____
As actionable events occur, I will update this thread.
Jim...

PS: I am an Engineer and am trying to do this an easy way to have references as I continue this thread.:thumbup:

Last edited:
May 26, 2020
Beneteau First 405 Dexter NY
Sounds like you have a plan. Hard to believe she sat down like a lady. It could have been ugly. Following ...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Well the Admiral and I decided to take a Sunday mid-Afternoon ride down to the boat.
When we rounded the bend to see our boat...
Admiral screamed....

The Boat Has Moved!

SeaTow did not call me
and lifted the boat back into the water.
I guess they did NOT want the owners around.

WorryPatch.jpeg

There was a Hairline crack below water line and they put a patch on it.

The good news is she is afloat again!!!:biggrin:

More pictures soon...
Jim...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Jim,
Glad you got her back in the water so quickly. When you get her hauled out and the rudder removed, hopefully the damage can be easily repaired with minor glass work. Have any ideas of where you're going to procure a new rudder? Your previous description sounds that the original is beyond repair. My understanding is that there is an outfit in FL that makes rudders for most manufacturers.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
@JamesG161 I have been very pleased with the responsiveness and the repairs Progressive authorized. I have had three claims, 1 lightning strike, one Named Storm, and another fluke when the mooring shackle came loose at the mooring anchor. In all cases the service and payment was quick and more than fair. After a big storm they sometimes bring in adjusters that may not be all that familiar with boat repairs. That's where its important to make sure you and your repair yard work in concert with the adjuster on presenting necessary repairs, especially if its one of the adjusters brought in just for the storm. I'm sure you already know that but others reading might not be aware of that. With all that being said, I think Progressive was very easy to work with once we cleared the hurtles of making sure the temporary adjuster turned it over to the adjuster that was used to working with our boatyard.

Best of luck with your repairs and keep us all posted. I may be shopping for a new rudder at Foss Foam sometime in future.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
where you're going to procure a new rudder?
Yes the rudder broke off on the lift, and Joe Kerr on post #1 is sending me a quote on the exact match.

BrokenRudder.jpeg

Fearful of a lot of water in the bilge, SeaTow clipped off my cabin way lock and put on their own bilge pump.
You can see the SeaTow yellow bucket and battery in this picture.
Battey.jpeg

SeaTow came prepared for sure. You can see their portable generator in the cabin way.

SeaTowGen 2.jpeg

Also our brand new CO detector was screaming bloody murder. I did a video and the noise will wake everyone.
I was not too happy with how they left the boat tied up.

The Admiral said keep you cool, as I did when I called SeaTow.:cool:

It is a good thing I did, they had planned to tow the keel into the mud in the wrong direction.
So I am meeting them in morning to help tow the boat to a reservations in the Dry Dock tomorrow

Whew...
What a day!
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Wow what a morning....
All I can say is....

SeaTow knows what they are doing!!

They had to use their towing boat and winch off a truck to drag the keel off the mud.
Luckily we have tide 1.7 feet higher that normal.

Since no rudder, guess what they did to help steer our boat?

Sea Anchor or drone.

They tossed over a 55 gallon garbage can, to act like one, but they tied off the stern rail , not my best spot to tow, but is their show to tow. Believe it or not, I just shut up, smiled, gave them the thumbs up.:thumbup:

I am taking a short break to find the next spot I can continue my video recording of the trip to Dry Docks today.:dancing:

All dry on interior and all stuff stored below.

Onward we go...
Jim...

PS: What a story to be told!!!:cool:
PSS: They did decide not to take the short cut, and they took long way around to the Dry Docks.