Repair and replacement of cockpit drains on a Hunter 34

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
Discovered this weekend that one of my cockpit drains froze and split last weekend during the big snow here in Portland. Looking for advice how to repair or replace what is installed. It looks like the original fittings from 1984. Or maybe someone here on the forum knows of the source for the elbow that connects the scupper to the original drain hose. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Hopefully it was only hoses that split. If they look anything like the ones in the picture they are standard, rated for underwater use. Just get the right size and length and buy at any chandlery.

c.JPG

Jun 8, 2020
Sorry if I was unclear. The hoses seem in tack. Its the elbow that leads from the underside of the cockpit floor to the hose. I'll be down at the boat tomorrow and post a couple of photos.

SAM

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
I have an h34. Been saving this site in case I ever had to change mine. Not 100% sure about same size???

Click here: Drain

• Helpful
Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Since it's above the waterline you might try just a repair like tape or glue. If I remember correctly the drain is all one piece. I'll wait for the pictures. I would look at mine but it's under a snow bank at the moment:biggrin:

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
mine are original, gray threaded 90 with barbed end. Had a spare that I gave to hunter 31 owner
I believe that I got my spare at ace hardware or plumbing supply house. Fitting is made by lasso fittings inc
Common adapter. If you can't find it locally try there website.

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
Not a hijack, but gotta ask: I’ve seen this on many H34’s and H31’s: 1 cockpit drain sits flush (has a thin rim) and the other sits up about 3/8” from the deck. The latter causes 3/8” water to pool and not drain.

Anyone know why this is??

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
that has been on my mind for the past 38 years! The only logical reason I could come up with is the designing engineer setting in his/her cubical one day wanted to mess we my mind for the past 38 years. Guess it has worked. Still to this day drives me crazy ‼
Starboard side drains and the port side doesn't !

Maybe someone read to blueprint wrong and the port side raised scupper was supposed to be put on the starboard side to help with the starboard list issue and aid in equal drainage.

No, I still think they have just been missing with my mind.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have a picture of the ell for the port side drain.. note that mine is a "threaded on one end hose nipple on the other end" fitting.. I suspect Shannon's link for the 90 deg drains may be a better solution than this... I don't have a picture of the stbd side drain, but I think it is a fiberglassed piece that is built onto the cockpit floor (I don't thing there is a removable fitting on starboard side.
PC030478.JPG

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
I can verify on my 1984 H34 there is only a built in fiberglass elbow on the starboard side and a plastic thru hull type 90 fitting on the port side

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Not a hijack, but gotta ask: I’ve seen this on many H34’s and H31’s: 1 cockpit drain sits flush (has a thin rim) and the other sits up about 3/8” from the deck. The latter causes 3/8” water to pool and not drain.

It sounds like it might be a mushroom style thru hull fitting. I'm sure this is not an original thought but could you change it to a flush type thru hull fitting?

Nov 26, 2014
HUNTER h31 Northport L.I.
The problem with the port side is it go's thru the inner liner whereas the starboard side does not I wound up epoxying a thru hull to port side then ground it down to lower water level in cockpit.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth

I had the same question, and consider that if the boat is untended for a long time one may clog but the other will allow drainage to keep from sinking

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Good theory,
but if one got clogged the what ever clogged the flush drain would eventually clog the raised drain.
I still believe it has to do with the hull liner in the aft cabin. My belief is that it is just poorly designed and the port scupper should have been a molded drain just like the port side into the locker. Unfortunately I think this would have made fusing the decking to the cabin liner more difficult. However simply drilling it out being easier escapes me.
Drilling a hole to fit a flange seems more involved and more prone to a leek then a molded drain tube.
Still think hunter engineers 35 plus years ago had a Monday morning hangover of possibly a long liquid lunch the day they thought this up

Jun 8, 2020
Here are the long-overdue photos - the split is in the gray elbow.
The boat sat as a liveaboard for quite a while and we are still trying to get it cleaned up and sorted out 8 months after purchase...erg.

I think I will at the solution suggested by @mnmpizza above and grind the cockpit hole open a bit so the fitting can fit flush.

20210223_151429.jpg
20210223_151436.jpg
20210223_151450.jpg

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
@swshogren,

it looks like the hose goes up from the elbow...meaning it will trap water in the elbow fitting, which can freeze and crack. I think the hose needs to be run so it drains down from the elbow.

Greg

Jun 8, 2020
@Tally Ho Agreed - I have already removed the first couple of hangers to try and straighten it more. I also think the fitting is too long thru the deck so the hose does not run correctly. Time to take it all out and make it right.