• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Repair and replacement of cockpit drains on a Hunter 34

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White Portland, OR
Discovered this weekend that one of my cockpit drains froze and split last weekend during the big snow here in Portland. Looking for advice how to repair or replace what is installed. It looks like the original fittings from 1984. Or maybe someone here on the forum knows of the source for the elbow that connects the scupper to the original drain hose. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Hopefully it was only hoses that split. If they look anything like the ones in the picture they are standard, rated for underwater use. Just get the right size and length and buy at any chandlery.

c.JPG

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White Portland, OR
Sorry if I was unclear. The hoses seem in tack. Its the elbow that leads from the underside of the cockpit floor to the hose. I'll be down at the boat tomorrow and post a couple of photos.

SAM

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Since it's above the waterline you might try just a repair like tape or glue. If I remember correctly the drain is all one piece. I'll wait for the pictures. I would look at mine but it's under a snow bank at the moment:biggrin:

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Red Bank NJ
mine are original, gray threaded 90 with barbed end. Had a spare that I gave to hunter 31 owner
I believe that I got my spare at ace hardware or plumbing supply house. Fitting is made by lasso fittings inc
Common adapter. If you can't find it locally try there website.

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
Not a hijack, but gotta ask: I’ve seen this on many H34’s and H31’s: 1 cockpit drain sits flush (has a thin rim) and the other sits up about 3/8” from the deck. The latter causes 3/8” water to pool and not drain.

Anyone know why this is??

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Red Bank NJ
that has been on my mind for the past 38 years! The only logical reason I could come up with is the designing engineer setting in his/her cubical one day wanted to mess we my mind for the past 38 years. Guess it has worked. Still to this day drives me crazy ‼
Starboard side drains and the port side doesn't !

Maybe someone read to blueprint wrong and the port side raised scupper was supposed to be put on the starboard side to help with the starboard list issue and aid in equal drainage.

No, I still think they have just been missing with my mind.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have a picture of the ell for the port side drain.. note that mine is a "threaded on one end hose nipple on the other end" fitting.. I suspect Shannon's link for the 90 deg drains may be a better solution than this... I don't have a picture of the stbd side drain, but I think it is a fiberglassed piece that is built onto the cockpit floor (I don't thing there is a removable fitting on starboard side.
PC030478.JPG