Ranger 12'

Waco

Feb 8, 2020
Ranger 12 Portland
I finally went! The first trip went much like yours. The forward thwart split at the joint. The tiller, which had been previously repaired, left out in the elements, and then re-repaired by me broke when my buddy leaned on it. The wind was light and shifty and we were surrounded by wakeboarders. Nevertheless we lashed the tiller back together, had a few good reaches and only quit after a wakeboarder wake took out what was left of the tiller. While on the water I created a list of things to fix and we will be out again this weekend or early next week. Hopefully it will go smooth enough so photos can be taken. BTW if you have a chance to measure, what is the distance from the top or your oars to the oar lock stops?

Dec 12, 2019
Ranger 12 The Puget Sound - North
I finally went! The first trip went much like yours. The forward thwart split at the joint. ... BTW if you have a chance to measure, what is the distance from the top or your oars to the oar lock stops?
Hey Waco! That's surprising to hear about the thwart and a bummer! Did the mast step come loose? Mine is really solid now... 2 layers of Okume 1/4" lathered in Tight Bond III. It's in this thread.

Yeah, definitely post some photos when you get a chance. The oars stops are 21.5" from the handle ends on 8' oars. They work out fine for me. You can also sit in the boat and use masking tape on the oars to make sure that's the right length for you.

Keep me posted!

Dec 12, 2019
Umka has been out of the water for a month getting repaired. There was an existing crack on the starboard aft corner where the side bench meets the deck.

D984E23D-54CC-48AC-BBB1-97B573F6FAF9.jpeg

The crack went through the hull and gel coat.

It had to be ground out from underneath and fiberglass the top and bottom to reinforce the corner of the bench. Painted the fiberglass patch in the cockpit and there’s new gel coat on the patched hull.

Afterwards, I got motivated to do the bright work on the boat. What a difference that made! The teak has two coats of sealer to start.

7FE18818-AFBC-4805-B71A-B23577305ED9.jpeg

So long to the aged grey wood. Hopefully she’ll be back in the water this weekend for a sail.

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021
Ranger R-12 Everett
Pictures of my hull and the orginal sail bag. Mine is number 118 made in 1979 - does anyone have a higher numbered hull? I wonder how many years they made these.
I just purchased the same one as you have with the light blue color a few days ago. I'm very excited!

Aug 1, 2021
Ranger R-12 Everett
My hull is serialized as 01417.

According to one HIN decoder, "This MIC (RFB) stands for the company name Fluid Motion Llc which is currently Out of Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (RFB sometimes goes by these name(s) Platinum Marine, Ranger Boat Co, Ranger Fiberglass Boats, or ). This company (Fluid Motion Llc) is owned by John Livingston and is located at 25802 Pacific Hwy S in Kent state of Wa. I... Fluid Motion Llc has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of 6/26/1972 and went out of business on (3/27/2001) in the following country: USA. ... The US Coast guard provides this comment about this watercraft manufacturer: 123085 Chg From Type 14 To 11 Name Chg. 990304 Ranger Purchased By Fluid Motion; Old Poc Was Howard Smith. (owner). Tonyford-rni-email-010227-canoe Mfg Pkg Mailed-010302. 03/27/01 Howard Smith Sold Company To John Livingston."

Here's an aerial photo of the company from 2002. There appears to be several 18' hulls to the North part of the yard and two 9' hulls (maybe Minto's) to the East highlighted in yellow.
That's pretty awesome, you really did some digging here. My hull serial is: 022028 (I hope I am reading it right since mine has one more digit than yours).

Aug 1, 2021
Ranger R-12 Everett
The first test of the reinforced thwart and mast step was successful this past weekend. I sailed her twice in the Puget Sound and once on the lake. The first day on the Sound was steady wind about 10 mph gusting to 15+ and the tides were strong. The second day was pretty calm (2-5 mph) and the tides were ripping through the channel making it nearly impossible to sail or row. The lake had a steady breeze around 8 mph, which allowed for some onboard adjustments. The boat sails true without any weather or lee on the tiller.

I realized that the spiral lacing works the best on this rig. It keeps the luff on the mains'l straight and flush with the mast from the throat to the tack. I adjusted the traveler here and there and will need to work on that some more to keep the sail full when sailing loose footed (I haven't used the boom that I made yet).

Sailing the Sprit-rig definitely requires a brailing line. I think I mentioned that it saved my fiberglASS once before. It's easier than dropping halyard and having the mains'l all fouled up and in the way in a gust and getting clocked in the noggin with the block.

View attachment 178955
Ready to launch

View attachment 178956
Spiral Lacing

View attachment 178957
Brailed and returned to dock
I recognize the area in your photos, I live just a few minutes away. I'm hoping to run into you and Umka one of these days so that you can give me a few tips before I take my girl out on our maiden voyage together.

Aug 1, 2021
Ranger R-12 Everett
This thread is so cool!
Questions, does anyone know how many R12s were made?
Does anyone have an video of the R12 sailing? Curious who ended up landing this package from Bellingham:
Besides my R-12, this is the first one I have seen with an aluminum mast. All the other ones that I have seen have been wooden masts.

Dec 12, 2019
Besides my R-12, this is the first one I have seen with an aluminum mast. All the other ones that I have seen have been wooden masts.
Mine came with an aluminum mast.. I have it stored in the garage with the original sails too. Haven't ever used them yet.. Don't know that I will since I removed the plates for the standing rigging and won't be putting them back in any time soon.

I was out on Jetty Island over the Halloween weekend. Wow what a super nice day that was!! Sunny with a mild breeze. First sunny day, I'll be back out there.

May 5, 2022
Ranger 12 Port Townsend
I just picked up one of these in great shape last summer, she's been a joy to cut my teeth on on breezy days. I'm wondering if anyone can tell of the recoverability with the standard centerboard trunk? There seems to be decent floatation with the benches so I'm hopeful. Rough conditions are the norm around here and while I gain confidence in more wind, I'd like to not find out the hard way in the middle of the bay! Thanks for sharing such great information.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO forum. You should be good with the boat floating, perhaps at the water level while full. But still floating. You can add more floatation if you are still concerned. Best suggestion is to take the boat to the beach. Empty the boat of all things, and tip it over.

Testing small boats is a normal right of passage. I’d likely wait till the water gets a bit warmer and do it in the shallows. Since the boat is good on a trailer you might find a fresh water lake easier and warmer than the bay.

Feb 10, 2021
Ranger 11 Vancouver
I've been cleaning up the rigging diagram from here to make it more readable. I'm still learning to sail and want to know the parts of my boat. There are a few words I can't quite make out. I've underlined them in red. Would anyone be so kind as to help me clarify? Thank you.
Ranger 12 Diagram Problem Labels.png

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
I understand that it is a Mast Thwart.
Here is an image of a Penobscot 13 Dinghy that identifies the same part as a Mast Thwart.
GEDC1025-Bow-buoyancy-mast-thwart-beams-bulkhead-rowlocks-and-centreboard-fitted.jpeg
Bow buoyancy, mast thwart, beams and bulkhead, rowlocks and centreboard

Feb 10, 2021
Ranger 11 Vancouver
Yeah I thought "Thwart" as well. And I'm sure it could be called that but if you zoom in the letters don't match up to "Thwart" at all.

Oct 22, 2014
I agree. Zooming in did not agree with any of the terms used or I understand.

The mast thwart can also be termed the Mast Partner. That also did not seem to match the term in your image.