Rabbit hole

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Hi All,

bought our new to us 2004 210 3 months back..And so i've now started down the old rabbit hole..

so far, here's the winter list..

New engine mounts - shaft was log knocking at certain rpms.. (the price!!!! outch! but ordered the OEM's anyway for ease of install.)
new fuel lines and remove the magic magnet fuel conditioner to simplify the fuel line supply to the engine. (anyone want it?)
pulled the trans while doing the mounts and discovered the splines on the damper plate have about 10% of their teeth left.. so new damper plate on order
pulled the shaft while the engine was up, it is scored from years of spinning - new shaft needed
noticed oil leak from the pump out hose on the oil pan.. need to drop the pan to repair or replace
prop pulled and shipped to a prop shop to get tuned up and a tiny bit of cupping added
ordering a PSS while everything is out for dry bilge
new cutlass to be installed
replace broken bilge pump and float switch - i do not like the way this is setup.. so i will be moving things around in the bilge including the AC pump..
replace all fuel filters
rewire engine pod at helm.. has a ground issue and not getting good values on the meters..
alarm buzzer needs replacing
replaced engine key since the switch was free spinning in full circles
just dropped the dodger off at the canvas shop, it's beyond repair, new dodger now being made
bimini windex peep window to be replaced at canvas shop, bimini is good condition otherwise
while at the canvas shop also dropped off the aft birth cushions.. they stink and are vintage patterned.. and not the good kind of vintage.
ordered folding wheel for the helm
new companion way doors on order.. no more boards, yay....
new battery charger needed.. original with the boat still installed
ipad mount ordered for the helm
house and starter battery... need to figure out how to test their useful life left and replace if necessary with 4 smaller group sized batteries so i can actually move them over the 4D's that are in there now. damn they are heavy and i dont know how i'm going to even remove them.
leak in the forward main hatch.. need to remove hatch completely and reinstall with butyl.
LiFeP04 Battery system to be built and installed.. targeting 400AH over and above the deep cycle led acid bank.
install inverter to run things like the microwave away from the dock 2000 watt sine-wave type
Get a dingy and a torqueedo outboard

My goal is to get the boat to be travel ready by July for a trip down the chesapeake with the family.. and possibly a trip to ocean city MD.. or up north to NYC. our home port is Ocean City NJ.

and thats it for now... i'm sure the list will continue to grow as i pull things apart to clean/repair/replace.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
BillyK
I have had to make all these repairs my self over the years and the funnest repair was the ignition key going 360 degrees at Comox BC Canada dock and they had a replacement at the shop :dancing:.

And the dingy with a torqueedo outboard .....it would start every time.

paulj
:hook2:

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
You must have long winters BillyK. I could never get that much done!:thumbup:
winters are too long everywhere.. priority work is on the driveline for obvious reasons... then just working off the list as the professionals get the stuff back to me.. the one job i'm not looking forward to the most is dropping that oil pan.. oh, and also figuring out how to remove the 2 4D batteries.. i literally have no idea on how i'm going to do that.. they must be 100+lbs each and i have a bad back.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
the one job i'm not looking forward to the most is dropping that oil pan.. oh, and also figuring out how to remove the 2 4D batteries.. i literally have no idea on how i'm going to do that.. they must be 100+lbs each and i have a bad back.
Beer is a great tool. Find help before you hurt yourself.
I had to dig a hole to drop my rudder to get my shaft out. My tranny came out pretty easy. They are tiny.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Pulling the batteries out wasn’t all that bad. Do it in small steps. Watch for acid on the sides-it will leave holes in your clothes when you wash them. Wrapping in plastic can help. Lift with your legs...

i went with 4 GC-6 batteries (Costco), plus a group 24 for starting. Rewired all of the primary cabling, adding bus bars, ACR, and some switching to add flexibility.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
We got a Torqeedo for our dingy. Love it! Also got a dingy sling to pull the dingy up behind the boat. It’s not as convenient as davits, but much cheaper.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Your to do list sounds like a lot like my maintenance log over the last 13 years of ownership of hull 218 (circa 2003). These are great boats, I think you will love her.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Good list! What about the cooling hoses? My 2003 had some replaced but still had 4 original painted ones.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Welcome aboard, BillyK. That's an impressive list of projects, and I'm sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of your C310.
I replaced the 4D's last spring. What worked for me, and I'm old with a bad back, was to lift the aft end of the outboard battery up and slide the battery out of the hole and onto the side of the battery compartment. I then carefully lifted it onto some scrap wood on the sole and slid it over to the companionway. Then I slid it up the companionway on a plank lightly lubed with silicon spray. I carefully lifted it from the companionway sill to the cockpit seat, from the seat to the coaming, then the side deck, and onto the dock. On my boat, it helped to move the inboard battery to the outboard position before lifting it out of the hole. I replaced the 4D's with 4 GC batts.
I have a Walker Bay 8 dinghy, with a Torqeedo outboard. They are a great combination, and a good fit for the C310.
One thing I didn't see on your list is solar power. Something to consider down the road to really extend your time out on the water. I have two 160W panels mounted on the davits.
Good luck, and keep in touch!

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
We got a Torqeedo for our dingy. Love it! Also got a dingy sling to pull the dingy up behind the boat. It’s not as convenient as davits, but much cheaper.
Thats what i was thinking... using a sling.. since there were be many day sails where a dingy wouldnt be necessary.. only a couple long trips a year really..

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Good list! What about the cooling hoses? My 2003 had some replaced but still had 4 original painted ones.
i've replaced a couple already.. the rest seem to be in good condition. What I've done is ordered a replacement set and have it on board if they ever fail or show signs of age..

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Welcome aboard, BillyK. That's an impressive list of projects, and I'm sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of your C310.
I replaced the 4D's last spring. What worked for me, and I'm old with a bad back, was to lift the aft end of the outboard battery up and slide the battery out of the hole and onto the side of the battery compartment. I then carefully lifted it onto some scrap wood on the sole and slid it over to the companionway. Then I slid it up the companionway on a plank lightly lubed with silicon spray. I carefully lifted it from the companionway sill to the cockpit seat, from the seat to the coaming, then the side deck, and onto the dock. On my boat, it helped to move the inboard battery to the outboard position before lifting it out of the hole. I replaced the 4D's with 4 GC batts.
I have a Walker Bay 8 dinghy, with a Torqeedo outboard. They are a great combination, and a good fit for the C310.
One thing I didn't see on your list is solar power. Something to consider down the road to really extend your time out on the water. I have two 160W panels mounted on the davits.
Good luck, and keep in touch!
Now that was a well planned battery removal! i may be using your procedure when the time comes.. was thinking if i could get it over to the engine i could use a lift from the boom to get it up on deck and then onto the dock.

funny you mentioned solar.. i was just watching a youtuber cruser last night install a pair of flex panels on top of his bimini... seems like a good solution that can be removed when not on a trip.. i might be doing the same one day.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Now that was a well planned battery removal! i may be using your procedure when the time comes.. was thinking if i could get it over to the engine i could use a lift from the boom to get it up on deck and then onto the dock.

funny you mentioned solar.. i was just watching a youtuber cruser last night install a pair of flex panels on top of his bimini... seems like a good solution that can be removed when not on a trip.. i might be doing the same one day.
You could try an alternative procedure for replacing the 4D's that worked well when my 4D's failed the first time at Cape May, NJ. The dockmaster at Utches Marina had a young fellow pick up a 4D and carry it up to the shop, and bring back a new one, then did the same with the other 4D, no charge. Great service!
The flex panels are a good option. I installed one on top of my RV and it works very well. I think you will want to keep them in place, though. The controller that you will install for solar power will be a smart device, and will charge the batts through all the proper stages of charging, and maintain a proper float charge. The old charger on the boat is a dumb charger and will not do a good job of charging and maintaining the batteries. I usually leave the boat charger off when I am on shore power, and let the solar controller do it's thing.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
How is your rigging and your furler? Should be okay but they are 15 years old and in a saltwater environment right? Do you have a windlass that needs attention? Sounds like some fun cruises ahead!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@BillyK. This is the thread for the previous owner of my 310 that did a very nice battery and charger upgrade.

He also took care of replacing most of the hoses, changed to a Smartplug shore power cable and connector, led lighting, and stayed on top of the preventative maintenance. He was the second owner and the first owner was also very good at keeping up maintenance and was very active in the 310 forum and owners group.