Peak Sails "Generator" Kite for 23.5

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Looks cool. I have a symmetrical kite, but with the prevailing winds at my lake this would be nice. Please post if you get one or any more info.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
We need something like this as well. It has been a horrible summer as far as wind goes, haven't reefed yet this year .

Sam

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I've looked at this also but haven't found much first hand experience. If you get one I'd love to here about it.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
We just sent off for a quote for a Generator sail for our H20. We're tired of bobbing in the water while the sails flop around like limp noodles. If we're going to continue to try and sail in the threshold of Hell were going to have to do something different!

Sam

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I've talked to the designer of this sail for quite some time. The thing ends up being a cross between a code 0 and a free-flying genoa. I think the concept is pretty solid for off-the-wind sailing.

Because of its girth measurements it rates as a head-sail. If you get the 150% version it is likely that you can use it in PHRF racing without a change to your rating. I'm also guessing that most JAM fleets would have to allow it for downwind use (because its not a spinnaker), until the following year where they would close that loophole! ;^)

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Since we aren't racers I am not very concerned about our rating. Racing on our lake is like watching two turtles sitting on a log in the sun. The winner is the one who stays dry the longest.
If it doesn't allow us to go to Windward we might wind up just sailing back and forth across the lake but even that would be better than just sitting there like we do now. I really love to sail, but absolutely hate to just sit on a boat and bob up and down in power boat wakes.

Sam

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Would you consider one if you had a budget and since it looks like it is half the price of a spinnaker? I like the idea of it for our terrible light wind days, been playing with the hanked on reacher I have with the boat but this might be more fun and obviously better shape then a 30+ year old sail.

I've talked to the designer of this sail for quite some time. The thing ends up being a cross between a code 0 and a free-flying genoa. I think the concept is pretty solid for off-the-wind sailing.

Because of its girth measurements it rates as a head-sail. If you get the 150% version it is likely that you can use it in PHRF racing without a change to your rating. I'm also guessing that most JAM fleets would have to allow it for downwind use (because its not a spinnaker), until the following year where they would close that loophole! ;^)

Nov 8, 2010
Would you consider one if you had a budget and since it looks like it is half the price of a spinnaker? I like the idea of it for our terrible light wind days, been playing with the hanked on reacher I have with the boat but this might be more fun and obviously better shape then a 30+ year old sail.
Sure. Some days you just want to move. In any direction. And being free flying, you can ease the halyard a foot or so to help the sail rotate to windward. Due to the straight luff it will not do that as well as an asym, but enough to be effective when sailing deep.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
@Jackdaw
Excellent you may have just ruined my winter budget if we decide to keep the O'Day 25 another season. I struggled with the sail's promises and lack of feedback I could find. At $525 it seems like a nice deal and given the lack of serious wind this year could be put to good use even if we only keep the O'Day 25 another year or so.

Jul 26, 2010
Hunter 23 South Haven, MI
So, when this sail was talked about back in July, I decided to buy one to check it out. Just a heads up. I paid for it on July 16th, the website said 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. I still haven't received it yet as of September 21st. I've emailed them three times, they never reply. I have read that they are terrible with communications, it's true. I'll let you know if/when I ever receive this sail (hopefully before I pull the boat for the winter in a few more weeks) if it's any good. It sounded like fun, I'd really like to try it out before I pull the boat for the winter.

Nov 8, 2010
@John Tubb , no worries. The concept is pretty straightforward. The only issue that might arise is a decent place to trim it, but twings might help that.

N.B. - I've only talked to them, never dealt commercially with them. As @Paladin27 points out, caveat emptor.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jackdaw
Thank you for advising as you are making it better to understand. Code0 and now this came later after retirement so I best say nothing here. Thank you.
Hopefully the sail will come but failed return calls from a business should be an indicator with a strong delay of product would wave a red flag in my books.
@Paladin27 Hopefully yopaid by credit card. Give it one more month and no response, suggest you call the state consumer affairs division in the state where any company is located. Funny how things start to occur. If paid by credit card you could advise for a refund

Dfed

Jul 19, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Augusta
@Paladin27 thanks for the warning. What a shame, I didn't know of their reputation. I hope you get your sail and you can give us a report soon.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'm still hopeful also. My observations with all offshore sail manufacturing is that the promised delivery time is always too optimistic. I just assume they are going to be late.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Just got our quote back, 295 for a 150, 340 for a 165. Surely if I ordered it now we would get it by next season.
If I have this right I would just need turning blocks on the gunwales forward of the stern then cleats forward of that. We have a unused jib halyard to hoist it with and the bow eye forward of the furler attachment point.

Sam

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I also received a quote for my H23.5. How does one choose between a 150 over a 165? $329 and $356 respectively. I think Ive got all the rigging I need using my spinnaker sheets and turning blocks, which saves quite a bit in total cost.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Been flying a drifter on my 23.5 for years.Was hanked on sail,removed hangs added grommets ran 3/16 cable t at head and foot works great.Tack run as any headsail
boat1.jpg

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
What was the rational or advantage of removing the hangs? I have a very old drifter also full hanked on. This weekend we ran it a lot and punched 2 holes in it including a tear at the leech. I've taped it with sail repair tape already a few times, not sure how much more life is left in it.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I am trying to decide the same thing Granger. Maybe Clay will chime in if he sees this. He will probably have an idea on what the advantages would be of each. I am waffling back and forth. We need all the help we can get to make our boat move most summer days on our home lake. Part of me says go big but another part thinks the 150 might have a wider range of use.

Sam