Peak Sails "Generator" Kite for 23.5

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Well I really like my Precision head sail but it was a month late. I still recommend them, but they do not have a generator style sail.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Granger,
Other lofts make similar sails, you might get a quote from a loft with a better history of delivering on time. Precision delivered our new sails 2 months early.
Wouldn't hurt to check around.

Sam

Good idea. Ill check on it.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The G******** is NOT a kite (spinnaker). It's a drifter, which is a genoa made of very lightweight material. The design is the same as a light air genoa.

It's a light weight, deep draft, free flying genoa with a low stretch line in the luff. It's made of spinnaker nylon, for use in light wind. Any loft can make one for you.

A drifter is less expensive than a cruising code zero or cruising asymm because it's a lot smaller. Cruising Code Zero is 140% as big as a drifter and a Cruising Asymms is 170% as big.

Very Approximate areas:
170 sf - 150% Genoa/Drifter
186 sf - 165% Genoa/Drifter
235 sf - Cruising Code Zero
290 sf - Cruising Asymm

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The G******** is NOT a kite (spinnaker). It's a drifter, which is a genoa made of very lightweight material. The design is the same as a light are genoa.

It's a light weight, deep draft, free flying genoa with a low stretch line in the luff. It's made of spinnaker nylon, for use in light wind. Any loft can make one for you.

A drifter is less expensive than a cruising code zero or cruising asymm because it's a lot smaller. Cruising Code Zero is 140% as big as a drifter and a Cruising Asymms is 170% as big.

Very Approximate areas:
170 sf - 150% Genoa/Drifter
186 sf - 165% Genoa/Drifter
235 sf - Cruising Code Zero
290 sf - Cruising Asymm
Absolutely correct @DrJudyB ! But you have to take into account their so-called 'Linear Luff' technology! Funny that, I'd guarantee that it is a length of dyneema sewn into the luff and secured at the tack and head eyes. I've personally added that to a sail in the past as I'm sure you have, someone needs to let them know about 'prior art' with respect to their patent!

Sep 30, 2016
Absolutely correct @DrJudyB ! But you have to take into account their so-called 'Linear Luff' technology! Funny that, I'd guarantee that it is a length of dyneema sewn into the luff and secured at the tack and head eyes.
What does that do, prevent the luff from curling?

Jun 25, 2004
What does that do, prevent the luff from curling?
It's low stretch line (Dyneema or Vectran) to the head and tack. It is needed to keep the luff from stretching when it's loaded up while reaching.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Absolutely correct @DrJudyB ! But you have to take into account their so-called 'Linear Luff' technology! Funny that, I'd guarantee that it is a length of dyneema sewn into the luff and secured at the tack and head eyes. I've personally added that to a sail in the past as I'm sure you have, someone needs to let them know about 'prior art' with respect to their patent!
@Jackdaw

You got that right, Clay

Judy :laugh:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Tight reaching is VERY HARD on the luff of an unstayed sail. I added a 'Linear Luff' to this asym to keep it from blowing up on days like this.

BJreach.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I asked a loft about this sail, if they could make it and they said a code zero would be better. It is .75 oz Challenge Fibermax Spinnaker Nylon, 322.92 sq ft and about $75 more then the Peak Sail Generator. I'm told I can fly this with my jib hardware and can carry this sail up to 45 degree TWA.

Thoughts? I'm happy with our boat but like the idea of a bigger light wind day sail.

Jul 26, 2010
Hunter 23 South Haven, MI
@John Tubb I would steer clear of Peak Sail. I'm going on 5 months since I ordered and haven't heard a thing from them. I've left several voicemails and emails. Disappointing as I really liked the idea of that sail, but as others have said, another loft can probably figure out their "linear luff" technology. :/ I've actually sold my Hunter 23 and have a new boat as of a couple months ago, so if that sail ever shows up, I'll give it to the new owner, but otherwise, lesson learned, go with a local or trustworthy loft.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Wow @Paladin27 that is just stupid! I'll be writing them off for sure, they tempted me last night with an additional sale discount so I started considering it again. In reality my drifter is probably all I need and since it is full hank on the race committee has said it is a 150 headsail so good for non-spin class.

Sep 30, 2016
Yeah, Im glad I didnt plunk the bucks down for a Generator. No reason for shitty service like that.

Sep 30, 2016
So, when this sail was talked about back in July, I decided to buy one to check it out. Just a heads up. I paid for it on July 16th, the website said 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. I still haven't received it yet as of September 21st. I've emailed them three times, they never reply. I have read that they are terrible with communications, it's true. I'll let you know if/when I ever receive this sail (hopefully before I pull the boat for the winter in a few more weeks) if it's any good. It sounded like fun, I'd really like to try it out before I pull the boat for the winter.
Any update on this? Did anyone order one of these Generators over the winter? My boat is going back in the water very soon and was thinking about this. I still want a drifter type sail for my boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I never head back from the OP. Precision gave me a good price on a code 0 for my O'day 25 that was bigger in area and only a few hundred more. I didn't buy because we decided to move to a bigger boat.

Sep 28, 2019
Catalina 22 Outer Banks
I am a new poster to this forum but have been a reader for many years.

My brother in law and I both own Catalina 22's. We have been "match racing" our boats weekly for about five years now.

He usually wins most of the races but they are close at times. He has a nice set of tri-radial sails which I believe gives him an advantage as mine are older cross-cuts.

I stumbled on Peak Sails website this spring and read about their Generator sail. I am 62 and frequently sail solo or short handed. The Generator seemed like a great choice for me as a Code 0 normally requires the use of a furling system plus the cost of the sail alone was well out of my budget.

After a few calls to Peak, I decided to order one. I chose my colors and about three weeks later the sail arrived. I also purchased a spinnaker sock so I could deploy and douse it in a hurry.

I didn't tell my brother in law about the purchase as I wanted to surprise him on our first race of the season. I won the first six races by a wide margin and he was not a happy camper. I finally told him where I got the sail and he had his a month later. Racing is a lot of fun now as this sail provides all the power I need and the races are usually decided by ability.

I think many on the posts here are over analyzing this sail. Will you see it on Grand Prix and America's Cup boats? No. But for most guys who just want to get out and have some fun and add a little excitement to their day, you really can't beat it.

They gave me a 7% discount which made the decision that much easier.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Sounds cool, glad you all both got a great sail and deal. I passed for the bad rumors of customer service and the fact that this would count as a spin in the one race I do. Since it is less area then a code 0 I'm planning for that instead next year.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I think many on the posts here are over analyzing this sail.
Yes, but only in a broader sense, consider the cost of a decent sail. You should do your homework. There have been plenty of horror stories of a sail that’s a foot short someplace, and a foot too long isn’t necessarily easy to modify.

Sep 28, 2019
Catalina 22 Outer Banks
Yes, but only in a broader sense, consider the cost of a decent sail. You should do your homework. There have been plenty of horror stories of a sail that’s a foot short someplace, and a foot too long isn’t necessarily easy to modify.
Meriachee-
I have read and re-read your post and I still do not understand what what your point is.