Peak Sails "Generator" Kite for 23.5

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I THINK that Generator sail has a mid-girth less than 50%. It has a big hollow in the leech, designed to keep it from flapping. If you got the 150% it would qualify as an un-penalized headsail. If you non-spin rules were JAM, you probably would be OK, at least for the first year! ;^)
That be about a +9 hit for me for a sail I couldn't use upwind. (I'm rated for a 110%) I'll pass. ;)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That be about a +9 hit for me for a sail I couldn't use upwind. (I'm rated for a 110%) I'll pass. ;)
Me too, and I’ve got 3 spins I get to choose from for downwind.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
That makes sense, but it implies that the headstay and shrouds are at different heights? That seems weird.
Yes, its a fractional rig. So they're giving an acceptable range of above the fore-stay ( at least 150mm ) but below the cap-shrouds. ( at least 600mm )
Dennis

Nov 8, 2010
Yes, its a fractional rig. So they're giving an acceptable range of above the fore-stay ( at least 150mm ) but below the cap-shrouds. ( at least 600mm )
Dennis
I understand its fractional. But looking at the picture, and like most fractional boats this point (cap shrouds/forestay) is the SAME PLACE. I'm wondering why they didn't just use one as the point of reference. I think you meant ABOVE the cap shrouds.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Don’t know about the 23.5, but on my 336 the cap shrouds are 6” above the forestay. Is there a reason for wanting them at the same point?

Nov 8, 2010
Don’t know about the 23.5, but on my 336 the cap shrouds are 6” above the forestay. Is there a reason for wanting them at the same point?
On bigger boats they start to get separated by a couple of inches. The reason they’re in the same general area is because it puts the support where the load is, and also effectively allows the mass to bend around that pivot point.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
The H23.5 manual states that the forestay is 27' 4.5". I inquired about the luff measurement that they would use and they said 26' 3". That sounds right from what Ive seen in pics of both their sails and other light air sails. Any one that knows sails, like Jackdaw, care to comment on that measurement. I think Im going to get one.

Nov 8, 2010
The H23.5 manual states that the forestay is 27' 4.5". I inquired about the luff measurement that they would use and they said 26' 3". That sounds right from what Ive seen in pics of both their sails and other light air sails. Any one that knows sails, like Jackdaw, care to comment on that measurement. I think Im going to get one.
That sounds about right. You for sure don't want it longer. You can ease your halyard a bit to make create the right amount of curl in the luff.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
That sounds about right. You for sure don't want it longer. You can ease your halyard a bit to make create the right amount of curl in the luff.
I was under the impression that the “generator” has a straight or slightly hollowed luff and a hollow leech. It’s essentially a big Genoa made of nylon that’s free flying. It’s the same general type of design as a Genoa or a drifter.

If I’m correct, I don’t think easing the halyard will get it to rotate to windward like a sail that has a positive curve in the luff.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@DrJudyB I'd like to hear more about what hollowed luff and hollow leech mean for sail performance and shape. I'm almost certain that if I got one of these sails it would not be considered a Genoa because of the free flying aspect with our club races. I'm not sure I would let that influence me but is a consideration.

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 30T Grand Lake, OK
I thought this would be a good option, however when I ordered and paid back in April and it never came by late September and I had sent many request for updates on progress and shipping with no reply I finally cancelled my order. Sorry because I thought it would be the right sail for me. You may want to check out their on line reviews. Good Luck

Nov 8, 2010
I was under the impression that the “generator” has a straight or slightly hollowed luff and a hollow leech. It’s essentially a big Genoa made of nylon that’s free flying. It’s the same general type of design as a Genoa or a drifter.

If I’m correct, I don’t think easing the halyard will get it to rotate to windward like a sail that has a positive curve in the luff.
You're right it wont, but the one mistake I've always found people make with Code 0s or reaching flying sails like this is to pull the luff too tight. You have to have some sag in it for the sail to work well.

Nov 8, 2010
@DrJudyB I'd like to hear more about what hollowed luff and hollow leech mean for sail performance and shape. I'm almost certain that if I got one of these sails it would not be considered a Genoa because of the free flying aspect with our club races. I'm not sure I would let that influence me but is a consideration.
In the vast majority of cases/places a headsail is any sail where the mid-girth is less than 1/2 the foot. That holds true for this sail, so it IS a headsail even though it is a flying sail. Its just not a spinnaker.

For non-spin fleets, in some clubs you can use this sail as a headsail. This would be a JAM (Jib And Main) fleet. If you fleet rules are NFS (No Flying Sails) you are probably out of luck.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
You're right it wont, but the one mistake I've always found people make with Code 0s or reaching flying sails like this is to pull the luff too tight. You have to have some sag in it for the sail to work well.
The top down furlers with torsion control lines build into the luff don't furl well without enough tension. Could end up twisting the system while trying to jibe. Plus, slacking the halyard just doesn't 'look' right either for lack of a better work. I've played with the halyard tension on mine on downwind reaches ...there's no payoff. A twing is the only real control that pays dividends.

I can't speak for these sails without furlers though.

Nov 8, 2010
The top down furlers with torsion control lines build into the luff don't furl well without enough tension. Could end up twisting the system while trying to jibe. Plus, slacking the halyard just doesn't 'look' right either for lack of a better work. I've played with the halyard tension on mine on downwind reaches ...there's no payoff. A twing is the only real control that pays dividends.

I can't speak for these sails without furlers though.
Oh that's a totally different thing. Your halyard controls the furling line tension. That's different than sail luff tension. Does your TD furler allow you to ease the tack without slacking the halyard; the newer/better ones do. That's a big deal. The vast majority of asyms respond well to easing the tack up when sailing deeper; ease the sheet and half the sail rotates to windward of the boats centerline and is much more effective.

Nov 8, 2010
Plus, slacking the halyard just doesn't 'look' right either for lack of a better work. I've played with the halyard tension on mine on downwind reaches ...there's no payoff.
N.B. that I'm talking about the wind being way forward, and easing the halyard and inch or two.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Oh that's a totally different thing. Your halyard controls the furling line tension. That's different than sail luff tension. Does your TD furler allow you to ease the tack without slacking the halyard; the newer/better ones do. That's a big deal. The vast majority of asyms respond well to easing the tack up when sailing deeper; ease the sheet and half the sail rotates to windward of the boats centerline and is much more effective.
I was torn about going that way for my asym, but it was a big step up in price and complication. I think my sailmaker made good compromise in luff curve for an all around cruising chute but no, it doesn't rotate out in front downwind as much as i would like it to at times.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
So, when this sail was talked about back in July, I decided to buy one to check it out. Just a heads up. I paid for it on July 16th, the website said 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. I still haven't received it yet as of September 21st. I've emailed them three times, they never reply. I have read that they are terrible with communications, it's true. I'll let you know if/when I ever receive this sail (hopefully before I pull the boat for the winter in a few more weeks) if it's any good. It sounded like fun, I'd really like to try it out before I pull the boat for the winter.
Any updates on this order? I was about to pull the trigger on a Generator and then had to replace the fiddle blocks setup for my main sheet. There went that money for the sail. Im still interested tho. But may not if they dont ever deliver.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Granger,
Other lofts make similar sails, you might get a quote from a loft with a better history of delivering on time. Precision delivered our new sails 2 months early.
Wouldn't hurt to check around.

Sam