P 36-2 cb keel bolts.

Dec 11, 2017
Kells Coaster Bar Harbor
I'm in the process of buying a 1986 P36-2 cb and just had the land portion of the survey done. The surveyor said no major issues but did note a small separation between the keel and hull, and suspects should only need to have the bolts re-torqued. (I didn't realize the stub was bolted on, thought it was molded in. Always learning.) He said this is fairly common and during the sea trial we'll be able to tell if there is any leakage. Any input on how concerned I should be or easy it is to address would be appreciated.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Could that have been the result of a grounding? Is there water in the bilge? Probably not a big issue but get an independent opinion, recommendation and cost estimate for re-torquing (and re-bedding, if necessary) from a qualified boat yard or boat contractor BEFORE you agree to purchase based on survey contingency AND BEFORE you buy the boat. Be sure to tighten them to the correct torque. If you don't have torque values for your boat the attached table is probably pretty close. You also might find these related threads and article helpful.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017
Kells Coaster Bar Harbor
Thank you SailSF for the links, some very good reading there, and I will give this more consideration than just having the bolts re-torqued. The surveyor said there is no indication of a grounding or impact, but my concern from the reading goes to the unanswered questions of bolt corrosion and how big does the opening become when the boat is lifted in the sling allowing the keel to hand free? I'll get an answer to the 2nd question in a few weeks but short of loosening the bolts enough to allow visual inspection of the bolts in the space created, it may remain as one of those things that will wake me up in the middle of the night when my brain slips into gear. :eek:

Dec 11, 2017
Kells Coaster Bar Harbor
After a long conversation with the yard where the boat is sitting, I began to wonder if in fact the stub on these 36-2's with a cb is lead. Since it serves as the cb trunk as well as a keel, I'm wondering if it isn't iron? Can anyone say with certainty what it actually is?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
It’s a lead keel. I had hull 101. Great boats. When I got mine I cleaned the hull keel joint..... there was a small gap, maybe 1/8 inch at most. I had a tool to scrape as much out as I could then filled with 5200. Never had any water in bilge. Bolts were tight.

check the deck inboard of the jib tracks..... they are suspect and need to be rebed at a minimum. I had my decks recorded from cockpit to foredeck due to water damage.

Greg
Former owner of hull 101