New to me Hunter 26 clean/refit

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
Hello All, thank you for the comments and tips. Definitely will incorporate all that I can.

My cockpit back rests consist of smallish pieces of a foamish material. They are held in place with about 6 pieces of velcro. I wouldn't think velcro would work very well but it seems to hold up nicely in 120 degree summers.
Velcro is what was used mostly attaching those backseat cushions.
Is it 6 pieces of velcro per side? Is the velcro screwed to the boat or just glued on?

Update on progress.
Monday night we started the motor in the garage. Had it in a tub of water but it wasn't putting out water through the overboard tube. Shut it down after a few seconds and checked it all over. No faults found and most diagnostics say replace the water pump, and I did that already. Started it again and it was still no go. Was becoming worried my water pump repair was a bust. Then I took the overboard hose off and checked it seperately and it that little hose was clogged, easy fix. With the motor now pumping water we got to run the engine quite awhile and splash water all over the floor (my tub was a little on the short and small side.) Was good to verify the engine works. I'm still thinking of opening up the carburetor. The idea of it sucking up some dirt and conking out when I need it most is a bit worrisome.

I'm starting to look at the weather and hoping for a reasonable day to launch it in the local lake. Bit scary to think about :)

Also replaced the ladder rubber bumpers. White chair ends were a near perfect match. New on the right. Decaying old nasty one on the left.
1AABBA66-CF9A-48E2-A4B2-E9BD8D1F7399.jpeg

Thaniel

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Not sure what motor you have. But if any of the jets can be removed without taking the whole carb off, I'd do that and make sure the orifice is clean. My 8hp Honda has an idle jet on the top that simply screws out. It gets dirty easily causing the motor to die when throttle is applied. By cleaning it kind of often it's much more reliable.

Dec 20, 2020
Not sure what motor you have. But if any of the jets can be removed without taking the whole carb off, I'd do that and make sure the orifice is clean. My 8hp Honda has an idle jet on the top that simply screws out. It gets dirty easily causing the motor to die when throttle is applied. By cleaning it kind of often it's much more reliable.
Sounds like a nice feature to be able to clean it without taking everything apart. On mine I cannot even get the bowl off without removing the carb from the engine. So I did. Feel better having cleaned out the little bit of goo in the bottom.

And tonight I took it out of the garage and ran it some more. Seems to run pretty good.
9216360E-EEBE-4674-BCB3-4C8CA57AB630.jpeg

Dec 20, 2020
This Saturday we thought we might take the boat to the local lake and see if it floats. Honestly we would prefer better weather. 38 degrees and sunny isn't a great sailing day to me. But maybe just launch it, motor around the docs, fix some things on the trailer and then put it back on. But first we had a list of things to do and I started early Saturday morning working on them.

Here is what we did:
  • Installed two new tires (they are all new now)
  • Tightened the RH fender. Well broke the bolt off trying and replaced it.
  • Checked the torque on the motor flywheel and installed the motor cover.
  • Installed the motor. This time tightening the claps and installing the bolts. Scary we drove home with neither of these inplace.
  • Installed the new (well slightly used) Trailer winch.
  • Installed the new LH centerboard bunk.
  • Made a mast bridal out of a couple of "s" hooks and a couple straps we had.
  • Lowered the mast - The bridals worked great and it went right into the mast crutch with no assistance.
  • Installed the battery
  • Installed a yach battery charger (well I strapped it to the battery box, chincy but it'll work)
  • Reinstalled the bulkhead aft of the bed.
  • Coupled the truck to the trailer and found the saftey chains and light wires didn't reach the truck. What the? Then it hit me the new coupler is longer than the old one. Oh. Well that has to be sorted out before we do anywhere.

If you didn't guess already we didn't make it to the lake. But the weather forcast is predicting in the 60's here on tuesday. Might be worth a half day off of work to go out in that :)

Thaniel

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Tie down winch handle on trailer stand as I have seen locking mechanism come loose. The one on trailer winch stand. Tie off rudder in up position to port stern rail. Learned hard way when a new rudder came down in transport on I-64. Advise if transporting motor on transom. Is antenna being laid down during transporting? Which lake are you going to. Weather will be windy as same system will hit here first

Dec 20, 2020
Tie down winch handle on trailer stand as I have seen locking mechanism come loose. The one on trailer winch stand. Tie off rudder in up position to port stern rail. Learned hard way when a new rudder came down in transport on I-64. Advise if transporting motor on transom. Is antenna being laid down during transporting? Which lake are you going to. Weather will be windy as same system will hit here first
Thanks for the tips. I'm very surprised the boat trailer doesn't come with a safety strap for the front. I thought that was common. For the original trip home and for this as well I added a strap. Though when we got the boat there was also a bolted cable, kind of like a bike lock on the front.

For the test float we are going to Claytor Lake state park which is only a 15 min drive from my house. The boat will be secured better than it was for the original 5 hour trip home. So no worries there.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
We live very close. Do I know Claytor Lake?
By the back of my hand. Sent you a private message. Be glad to help you with your boat. A cup of coffee and a handshake only. Actually you can learn slot from me and I would enjoy assisting you
Dave Condon

Dec 20, 2020
Well the boat floats :) Tried it out and we didn't sink. Didn't do a lot as we didn't have much time. But we did take it out on the water.
IMG_2321.JPG

Heading back to the boat launch. Katherine on the tiller.

IMG_2323.JPG

Docked and removing the sails while waiting for the launch to clear. Oddly a bunch of folks were launching when we were ready to pull out. For my first time loading the boat. I thought it'd be best to have fewer things to hit.

IMG_2325.JPG

Successfully on the trailer. That actually went really well.

One of the most striking things about the test was how difficult it was to see to steer/drive while underway using the motor. We have a tiller steering motor and to reach the throttle and FWD/REV lever I basically have to sit on the floor. In that position it's impossible to see where we were going. I've motor boated a lot and never expected the driving under motor power to be so hard. To get on the trailer Katherine sat on the bow and pointed right and left to guide me. We've got to come up with something a bit easier.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
One of the most striking things about the test was how difficult it was to see to steer/drive while underway using the motor. We have a tiller steering motor and to reach the throttle and FWD/REV lever I basically have to sit on the floor. In that position it's impossible to see where we were going. I've motor boated a lot and never expected the driving under motor power to be so hard. To get on the trailer Katherine sat on the bow and pointed right and left to guide me. We've got to come up with something a bit easier.
My boat is set up with a wheel and the transmission and throttle are remote via cable (like a bicycle brake cable). I have the original Honda 9.9 so it can be set up for remote control. If you would like pictures, let me know.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
Well the boat floats :) Tried it out and we didn't sink. Didn't do a lot as we didn't have much time. But we did take it out on the water.
View attachment 189641
Heading back to the boat launch. Katherine on the tiller.

View attachment 189642
Docked and removing the sails while waiting for the launch to clear. Oddly a bunch of folks were launching when we were ready to pull out. For my first time loading the boat. I thought it'd be best to have fewer things to hit.

View attachment 189643
Successfully on the trailer. That actually went really well.

I always just walk it on to the trailer from the dock works well if you have the space

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thaniel,

Do you have a rod connecting the rudder to the motor ?
Do you have an auxiliary motor control bracket for the throttle and gear shifter in the cockpit?

I noted Lake is up but in the future you need to check water levels as generally the lake is lowered during the winter. Also from experience arrive back with boat out of water 1 hour before sundown as most everyone is closed down during the winter

BrianJ

Dec 29, 2020
Hunter 26 Lewis and Clark Lake
Congrats Thaniel! Once again, I'm jealous of your progress. Four inches of snow yesterday... :( I followed your lead and ordered 300hr kit for my outboard. New impeller, thermostat, oil, lube, plugs, gaskets, etc. I started to take apart the cushions so I could wash them but decided to save it for a warmer day. One thing at a time. Keep the posts coming as it's quickly becoming my spring playbook.

Dec 20, 2020
My boat is set up with a wheel and the transmission and throttle are remote via cable (like a bicycle brake cable). I have the original Honda 9.9 so it can be set up for remote control. If you would like pictures, let me know.
Yes pictures please. I need to come up with some remote controls before we go again.

I always just walk it on to the trailer from the dock works well if you have the space
I would have loved to do that. Where we had docked was just a bit away from the launch and if I could have would have walked it over from there I would have. I had no desire to try driving blind again :)

Do you have a rod connecting the rudder to the motor ?
Do you have an auxiliary motor control bracket for the throttle and gear shifter in the cockpit?
No and no. Don't know how the previous owner could stand it. I'll be looking into remote controls for the motor and connecting the motor to the tiller.

Congrats Thaniel! Once again, I'm jealous of your progress. Four inches of snow yesterday... :( I followed your lead and ordered 300hr kit for my outboard. New impeller, thermostat, oil, lube, plugs, gaskets, etc. I started to take apart the cushions so I could wash them but decided to save it for a warmer day. One thing at a time. Keep the posts coming as it's quickly becoming my spring playbook.
The weather shows we are supposed to get 3" of snow here tomorrow! Another reason I had to get in the water while we could. Hope your weather improves and you can get more done.

Sep 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Mead
Others that have posted here have used Panther Marine 55-2600 Auxiliary Motor Steering Kit - Stainless Steel

It is available on amazon.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I no longer have my notes on H 26 wheel steering plus special parts needed for wheel steering. H260 is more straight forward due to design but deck would have to be strengthed if you do not have the specific deck plate

Dec 20, 2020
Others that have posted here have used Panther Marine 55-2600 Auxiliary Motor Steering Kit - Stainless Steel
Thanks. Thinking something like this is part of the solution.

I have also ordered an remote engine controls box. Would like to start mocking up mounting locations but our weather machine brought us this.
333B60B8-E233-4226-9641-745F08B1A8CD.jpeg