Morgan 323 Rebuild

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
I have used the terms interchangeably too. And always used zincs even in fresh water. But now I know that Magnesium works best in my waters (and aluminum is OK), that is what I use and try to be specific that they are anodes and not necessarily “zinc”.

Keep working on the boat, as you said, you will get there.

Do you have any boat friends to lean on? Or handy friends who would like to learn about working on boats? That could shorten the refit time substantially.

If you stick with it, you will learn a ton, and know your boat very well.

Prioritize the issues and that can help you figure out what needs to be done before you can start sailing…then work on the less serious stuff as time permits (while you can still get a sail or 2 in each week). If you can’t make it fun, you won’t stick with it.

I am jealous that you can keep the boat in the water all winter. I had to pull Tally Ho out a few weeks ago…and she is winterized and covered for the winter. I did go out this week and remove the prop so I can measure for a new Max Prop feathering prop.

Always something to tinker with on a Good Old Boat :beer:

Greg
Thanks! We haven't had a good winter here in ages. Keeping her in the water all winter is nice. But trying to get work done in the cold isn't. lol. I've got a running list of fiberglass projects that will likely have to wait until spring.

I am pretty handy, just don't know a lot about boats. And I tend to get stuck in a loop of trying to figure out the best way to do things.
"Better is the enemy of good enough". I've been trying to hang out with the sailing club more, life tends to happen.

I set the new years deadline for myself before the car broke down. I had hoped to spend two days a week for the last two months working on the boat. But with the car out of commission that hasn't been possible. I've got her fixed up, just need to get new tires (hopefully) this week. I'm not going to rush the boat, but I feel like keeping my soft deadline is important.

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
Fuel Tank Compartment (Circa 2020)

Before reinstalling the shiny refurbished tank I needed to take care of the old compartment. There were a few minor issues with it.
1. The wood the tank rests on was unsealed.
2. There was a crack along the bottom that allowed bilge water into the compartment when the boat heels.
3. I was not happy with how the tank was secured.

First I gave the compartment a good clean. Then I sealed all bare wood surfaces with epoxy. I ground back the bad/de-laminating fiberglass where the crack was and laid down some new glass. Then I prepped the compartment for paint. I used an epoxy bilge paint so any future leaks will be obvious and easier to clean. I still haven't decided how I want to secure the tank down. It was originally just held by the lid of the settee. I may add some hold down straps.

The tank was just resting on bare the bare wood, which is now sealed. However I know that corrosion is likely to happen anywhere that moisture gets trapped against the aluminum. From what I could find best-practice is that anything touching the tank needs to be resistant to fuel, non-absorbent, and adhered to the tank. I decided to adhere some rubber strips to the tank for it to rest on. When I ordered the gasket material, I ordered some extra for the purpose. The strips are angled so that any condensation formed on the tank can drain between them into the bottom of the compartment. The tank is only sitting ~1/8th" higher than before so it still fits under the settee.

125086394_10224136618060359_4568715349386195753_n.jpg 143859434_10224764809764759_4673077369971473495_n.jpg 231072252_10226141018329113_2990914543222301936_n.jpg 231231459_10226141018929128_1304212244372613205_n.jpg

Now I still have one issue to address before I finish the plumbing for the tank. I sealed the crack that was allowing bilge water into the compartment. However that means the compartment is sealed from the bilge. This is good because any leaks that develop won't enter the bilge. But I'm concerned that the tank will form condensation that will build up in the bottom of the compartment and cause corrosion.

They way I see it I have two options. Drill a hole into the bilge, or figure out a way to plumb/pump the condensation out...
Thoughts and opinions appreciated.