Morgan 323 Rebuild

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
Progress today:

Not the prettiest job ever but should keep the water out. Still debating on weather I should fiberglass the entire thing.

I went to the boat today. Charged the batteries and took another quick look around. Found the hinges that go to the forward hatch. Finding the fasteners is another story. The old holes have been filled with epoxy already so I'm just going to drill and tap for new fasteners and call it a day.

Possible in the coming weeks I may be launching a boat at Watauga.
Cool. Let me know, maybe we can grab a bit or something.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Not the prettiest job ever but should keep the water out. Still debating on weather I should fiberglass the entire thing.
Caulking is an acquired skill. I've been acquiring it for 30 or so years. Hope to master it one day.

At some point you will want the hatch to be both strong and attractive. That may not be today given the amount of work left to do. Do, however, paint or gelcoat the fresh epoxy and glass. UV will degrade the epoxy and you'll be doing the work over again.

BTW, be sure to check out Boat Works Today and MarineHowTo.com

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
Do, however, paint or gelcoat the fresh epoxy and glass. UV will degrade the epoxy and you'll be doing the work over again.

BTW, be sure to check out Boat Works Today and MarineHowTo.com
I will definitely give it a coat of paint before I put it on. And I will check those both out once I get caught up on my schoolwork. I'm behind on all of my reading for class (and its starting to be a problem).

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
On Saturday, I got the repaired hatch installed. Its not pretty but it keeps the rain out and looks a lot better than that tarp.

It was a tight fit with the added material, but it will be fine for now.
I also gave her a quick rinse. Still needs a good scrubbing, but looks a lot better regardless.

I didn't take any pictures of it but around the bottom of the mast there were some tears in the material. I think it was just the boot cover and not the actual boot. We wrapped the tarp around it just to be sure. I didn't see anything that would indicate leaks, but better safe than sorry.

Other than that, I think that's everything needed to get her buttoned up. I'll give her a good scrub soon. I have got to get caught up on school work. I haven't had a whole lot of motivation for anything lately. Guess that's to be expected.

I think my next step is to inventory all the hardware and other bits, so I can start to get an idea of what he was doing with the boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It's good to see the progress. The hatch looks fine and if it does it's job, then it is perfect.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
You are going to learn so much cool stuff on this project. It will be a wonderful tribute to life.

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
Had a little motivation today. Got some shelving assembled and started moving stuff from the drop point inside the garage door. Anything that's new and has a label I've been recording in a spreadsheet. Everything else (like boxes of misc fasteners or loose hardware) I've just been snapping a picture of the contents. Then I label the box with the contents and a number and put it in the spreadsheet with a note to sort through it later.

I was moving some of the cabinets, when this caught my eye. Its on the inside of a piece. Fairly certain it was from next to the nav station.

Thought that was interesting.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I put some boot tape on the mast. Didn't do a great job, but should keep water out until I get around to it.

I also modeled some vent covers for the pipes where the Dorade boxes go. I know the heat is finally breaking here, but I still want some airflow in the cabin. I'm gonna 3D print them at the university. Not ideal, but they'll work for now. Should drop over the pipe and attach with a hose clamp.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
I'll be interested to see how that prints out.
I did a similar design for a housing for humidity and temperature sensors when I built a weather station a year or so ago. There are two tricks to it. The first is to print it upside down. The second, you should notice if you look closely at the picture. The inside is not round, it's octagon. This gives it a base to build on, since you can't really bridge in anything but a straight line. Once a few layers of bridges are established, I've had no problems with the transition. The printer will just be a Monoprice Maker Select V2, nothing fancy.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
You know, I think you are going about this in too orderly a fashion! At this rate, you will be able to find all your parts and hardware for installation! Why not make it more interesting by not organizing so much! :laugh:
Seriously, it sounds like you are having a lot of fun. I always keep things tidy til the last week when I get the fever to be done, in the water, and sailing!
I am keen on that 3d printing! I want a 3d metal laser printer, a 3d plastic printer, a laser cutter, oh just one of everything, please.

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
I would just dive in if I knew what I was doing. But since Im jumping in part way with most of the parts already ordered and no idea what the plan was its harder. Im hoping that an inventory will give me a better idea of what Sam had planned and I can go from there. Although the priority for now will be to get her useable, even if its just under motor. So that means servicing the inboard (which is probably about due anyway). I have the service manual and a friend thats good at that sort of thing.

Speaking of the inboard, what is the best place to order a spare ignition key for a Yanmar inboard? I think they are all the same. I just don’t like only having one key.

Tomorrow Im going to stop at harbor freight and pick up some tools to keep on the boat. Ones I wont mind losing if they go overboard.

Metal printers are pretty neat. My cousin got to work with one that did titanium on his internship. They only let him babysit it though, much too expensive to let him play with. Laser cutters are cool, but if you want to do metal your better off with something like a waterjet. We have one of those at the university. I will probably be making some parts with it before this refit is over. Theres a really cool desktop one I wouldnt mind having.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Tomorrow Im going to stop at harbor freight and pick up some tools to keep on the boat.
Metal printers are pretty neat.
Laser cutters are cool, but if you want to do metal your better off with something like a waterjet.
Theres a really cool desktop one I wouldnt mind having.
Sounds like you are going to have a well equipped boat that will be the envy of everyone on SBO ;).

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Why not take the key to your local hardware store to see if they can duplicate it?
You may have better luck finding a blank at a locksmith shop. I tried a couple of hardware stores and they didn't have a blank. A locksmith did. No real cost difference between the hardware store and locksmith.

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
You may have better luck finding a blank at a locksmith shop. I tried a couple of hardware stores and they didn't have a blank. A locksmith did. No real cost difference between the hardware store and locksmith.
Tried that. My usual locksmith didnt have any blanks that were that size. I thought about just doing it myself, but thats too much work.

I didnt think the hardware store would do it. I havent had much luck with them, thats why I go to the real locksmith. Might give it a shot anyway.

Didnt make it to the store today. Sick again. Trying to rest up for work tomorrow. Prints should be done tonight, will pick them up after class tomorrow. Hopefully have them installed this weekend.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Chris, sorry to hear of your recent and ongoing crisis. You said that she was pretty much gutted. If this includes interior bulkheads, floor stringers and or any other stiffening/ structural pieces, you should seriously consider a surveyor give her the once over to insure she is stable enough to be transported. Otherwise she could fold up like an old taco.

Rick

Sep 14, 2018
Morgan 323 TN
Chris, sorry to hear of your recent and ongoing crisis. You said that she was pretty much gutted. If this includes interior bulkheads, floor stringers and or any other stiffening/ structural pieces, you should seriously consider a surveyor give her the once over to insure she is stable enough to be transported. Otherwise she could fold up like an old taco.

Rick
Bulkheads and stringers are still in place. I would definitely have been scrambling to deal with that, if it were the case. The cabin sole has been removed and some temporary flooring (plywood sheathing) has been installed. Most everything else has been either completely removed or is in a partial state of dissassembly. I am currently planning to leave her in the water, at least through winter. I will re-evaluate the decision at that time based on what work needs done and whether I am making progress traveling to and from the boat.