Megayacht Bayesian sank

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
... Wife & I were having an early dinner at a water front restaurant in Key West several years ago & spotted 3 spouts at same point in time! Scary!!
So did people seek shelter? I'm not sure what constitutes shelter on Key West. But if they were land tornados people would generally be going to strongest part of a building.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
There have been a few You-Tube videos that speculate the design of the boat may have contributed to this tragedy. The Bayesian apparently had a retractable keel. With such a tall mast, if the keel was up, the boat’s center of gravity would have been relatively high, and a knock down may have been exacerbated by other unique design features. All speculation at this point. We’ll see what the investigation determines.

Nov 11, 2021
Lancer 30-2 Marina Del Rey
Wow! After surviving incidents in the surf, I never turn my back or take the ocean for granted. We sail out of Marina Del Rey, so generally there are no weather surprises. We do occasionally get possible water spout warnings, which keeps us from sailing.

Our dockmaster, a native of Italy, said something was screwy with this boat sinking, because of the tech billionaire who was recently acquitted of fraud, and his attorney both being among the missing. I scoffed and said we are nothing compared to the ocean. Then I read about the co-defendent, Stephan Chamberlain, who was killed while jogging in England on Saturday. Then on Monday the Bayesian is sunk by a waterspout. Sounds like of like a Stephen King Movie! The defendant, and then the co-defendant and the attorney killed in separate freak accidents within days of each other!!! What are the chances?

• Wow