Megayacht Bayesian sank

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
... Wife & I were having an early dinner at a water front restaurant in Key West several years ago & spotted 3 spouts at same point in time! Scary!!
So did people seek shelter? I'm not sure what constitutes shelter on Key West. But if they were land tornados people would generally be going to strongest part of a building.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
So did people seek shelter? I'm not sure what constitutes shelter on Key West.
Surprisingly, no one seemed concerned…must be routine down there. They weren’t close; however, I did keep a close watch until they dissipated!

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
There have been a few You-Tube videos that speculate the design of the boat may have contributed to this tragedy. The Bayesian apparently had a retractable keel. With such a tall mast, if the keel was up, the boat’s center of gravity would have been relatively high, and a knock down may have been exacerbated by other unique design features. All speculation at this point. We’ll see what the investigation determines.

Nov 11, 2021
Lancer 30-2 Marina Del Rey
Wow! After surviving incidents in the surf, I never turn my back or take the ocean for granted. We sail out of Marina Del Rey, so generally there are no weather surprises. We do occasionally get possible water spout warnings, which keeps us from sailing.

Our dockmaster, a native of Italy, said something was screwy with this boat sinking, because of the tech billionaire who was recently acquitted of fraud, and his attorney both being among the missing. I scoffed and said we are nothing compared to the ocean. Then I read about the co-defendent, Stephan Chamberlain, who was killed while jogging in England on Saturday. Then on Monday the Bayesian is sunk by a waterspout. Sounds like of like a Stephen King Movie! The defendant, and then the co-defendant and the attorney killed in separate freak accidents within days of each other!!! What are the chances?

• Wow
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The sinking is a real tragedy.. the downflooding must have been terrifying with the speed of the sinking..

Good info.. Roger Long used to be a frequent poster on this forum .. he's since gone over to a trawler..
Roger is a great guy.. My wife and I were visiting Portland Maine a few years ago and Roger took us day sailing all around Casco bay..

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I agree that the likely cause of the sinking was down-flooding. I know of a Capris 25 and sunk in the PNW in 18-seconds when it broached in a big breeze with the spinnaker set. They were sailing in sporty conditions with the companionway hatch open.
If the crew would have closed the big openings as the storm approached, this would likely have just been a great "Sea Story" instead of a tragedy.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You live as a passenger on a great big yacht; closing hatches and maintaining watertight integrity is a pain for others, not for you.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If the crew would have closed the big openings as the storm approached, this would likely have just been a great "Sea Story" instead of a tragedy.
As with many tragedies of this sort, there are multiple causes. The consensus among the NAs is the stability curves would have predicted this kind of scenario. A boat designed with a safer stability curve would not have heeled over as far reducing the chance of down flooding. At least one report indicated the crew was on deck preparing the boat for the forecast wind. So, it was a combination of poor designed stability and a freak weather occurrence.

If you want to know more about stability and capsizing, the Loose Cannon Substack has a series by Roger Long, an SBO member and NA, about the sinking of Pride of Baltimore I and the stability issues. An interesting and informative read.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I was also thinking the hull got punctured, but first I asked myself how much anchor rode they had out. Do the math on 7 or better for a storm 10+ to one at that depth. If they dragged anchor, got broadside to a big wave and the mast broke at the deck level tearing a lot of deck and she went over, she would not come back up most likely. When they get her up I suspect they will see very quickly what happened and why. My guess is some of the divers already saw some likely stuff and were told to zip it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I was also thinking the hull got punctured, but first I asked myself how much anchor rode they had out. Do the math on 7 or better for a storm 10+ to one at that depth. If they dragged anchor, got broadside to a big wave and the mast broke at the deck level tearing a lot of deck and she went over, she would not come back up most likely. When they get her up I suspect they will see very quickly what happened and why. My guess is some of the divers already saw some likely stuff and were told to zip it.
The BBC has reported the Bayesian is lying on its side and is largely intact.

In an earlier post I shared a link to a report strongly suggesting the where issues with vessel stability and it was not capable of righting itself in the conditions it faced, in part due to the lifting keel, which was lifted. The commenters in the article were all Naval Architects and familiar with super yacht design.

The proximal cause was likely a waterspout, followed by a yacht design based on the owner's ego and need to have the largest sailing vessel with the tallest mast and the compromises that come with such a design.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
If my physics is not failing me, you can only gain roll stability by lowering a centerboard or lowering a lifting keel. Why in the world would they have had it raised? Hardly a shallow water issue in that bay.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If my physics is not failing me, you can only gain roll stability by lowering a centerboard or lowering a lifting keel. Why in the world would they have had it raised? Hardly a shallow water issue in that bay.
Apparently when raised the keel rattled in the trunk and kept passengers awake. Sounds like it was common practice to keep it up at anchor for that reason.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
According to a previous capt. of that vessel they were doing everything "by-the-book". The book being a "Stability Information Book" delivered with the vessel.
So, it was mandatory he swing keel be deployed when using sails or more than 60 miles offshore but not required when at anchor as the internal ballast was deemed adequate.
Apparently the yacht had large sliding doors that would slide open when boat was heeled if not dogged (ie locked) by pins, which were never dogged at anchor as that complicated egress and ingress for the guests.
So if it went far enough over and those slid open, plus open vent ducts for h/vac and generators etc....

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The reports I have seen say that the rig is intact. The reported loss of the mast was contradicted by the divers.
In the stability report I read today, there is very little change in the righting moment with the keel down. It has minimal weight in the keel and is primarily for preventing leeway.