Megayacht Bayesian sank

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
60 tons may seem like a lot, however it has to be put in context of the boat's total weight/displacement. Bayesian's displacement was 534 tons, thus the ballast represents only about 11% of the boat's total displacement. By comparison my Sabre 362 has 5,520 lbs of ballast and a designed displacement of 13,800, the ballast is 40% of the boat's total displacement.

Hull stability is a function of more than just ballast weight, it also includes where the weight is located, where the center of gravity is located, the shape of the hull, and more.

In a year or so there will be a final report by the Italian Coast Guard on the cause of the sinking. We're just going to have to wait while the investigation is conducted and be wary of the armchair Naval Architects and their opinions.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I read this statement this AM. Perini Navi was the company that built the Bayesian in 2008.

Giovanni Costantino, CEO of Perini Navi’s parent company, The Italian Sea Group, said: “The boat suffered a series of indescribable, unreasonable errors.”​
“The impossible happened on that boat ... but it went down because it took on water. From where, the investigators will tell,” he added.​
Costantino blamed the crew for the “incredible mistake” of not being prepared for the storm.​
He said passengers should have been brought up on deck, with their lifebelts on, while the crew pulled up the anchor, closed all doors and hatches, and lowered the keel to its full extent.​
He said that had the crew done so, the boat would have weathered the storm, “and the next morning they would have happily resumed their wonderful cruise.”​

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I read this statement this AM. Perini Navi was the company that built the Bayesian in 2008.

Giovanni Costantino, CEO of Perini Navi’s parent company, The Italian Sea Group, said: “The boat suffered a series of indescribable, unreasonable errors.”​
“The impossible happened on that boat ... but it went down because it took on water. From where, the investigators will tell,” he added.​
Costantino blamed the crew for the “incredible mistake” of not being prepared for the storm.​
He said passengers should have been brought up on deck, with their lifebelts on, while the crew pulled up the anchor, closed all doors and hatches, and lowered the keel to its full extent.​
He said that had the crew done so, the boat would have weathered the storm, “and the next morning they would have happily resumed their wonderful cruise.”​
That sounds like some next level CYA to me. I wonder how many super yacht crews drag all their billionaire guests out on deck in life jackets every time a thunderstorm is approaching. Watch
and
for some rebuttals to the CEO’s points, especially when it comes to the weather forecast and hull/keel configuration standards.

I’m curious to see what the full investigation finds, but I’d be surprised if it ends up as open and shut as the CEO’s claims of “it’s all the crew’s fault”, or others’ claims that “the design was entirely flawed”. Like many tragedies I expect to read it was a chain of failures.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If I were the Captain I’d have clam lips too! What good to him could occur by speaking up. Expect everyone to lawyer up ‘cause there’s going to be criminal and civil litigation. I’d predict the outcome will not resemble the truth. There’s a lot of money on the table and money and the truth are like protons and electrons.

• Ha
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Maybe I need to review High School chemistry. Protons and electrons attract. I think I could have said Protons and protons which would repel one another as in Newtonian physics.

• Ha