is the boat worth the money?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
A 19' West Wight is like heaven inside compared to most other boats of its size! If you can afford it, get it. You guys will live comfortably in it! Chief

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
With the luger, i was thinking $5-600 to get it sea worthy and up to par. (assuming there's no real damage so just finish the cabin, replace some of the hardware, re wire. I already have all the tools, most of the wood and wire i can get cheap). I know you haven't looked at it, but does that sound reasonable? (I'm unsure how spendy rigging hardware is). Or do you think i would be better off spending another 1,000 and getting something that's ready to sail? I know it's hard to say without looking at the boats, but any insight i could get would be awesome.
The main issue I see with the lugar is a lack of an outboard in the deal. I have purchased two used outboards in my days. The first I paid $300 for. It ran great at home in a trash can full of water but the first time I took it out... the gears in the lower unit disintegrated when I was two miles from port, cold and with children on board. No wind and I paddled (for hours) to get the boat home.

The next used outboard I purchased I still have. It runs great now but only after I sunk $600 into a new carburetor and fuel system rebuild.

You are going to NEED a dependable outboard. You don't want to be pulling frantically on the start line while a barge is coming down on you. Electric start is not essential but it is nice. Especially when you need to get the O.B. started in a hurry.

This would be an ideal outboard for you

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu-6-hp-MFS6CSPROUL.html

It is light, has a decent alternator and it has the long shaft so you can keep the prop in the water when motor sailing with the boat heeled.

But it is $1529... easily twice your current budget. So shopping for a boat that already has decent sails, a dependable outboard and a good trailer will save you a lot of money in the end.

With this boat, you have the trailer and he claims the sails are good so..
if you got a lead on a good outboard, then it might be the ticket. You can kill this thread and start a new one on "What should I pack" :dance:

You probably want to do a little research on how to spot a blown out sail also.

Oct 29, 2014
O'Day O'Day 25 Still water
The west right looks nice, but two problems. 1, it's in FL. I don't want to but a boat that i can't look at first. And 2, when the keel is up it sticks all the way thru the cabin. On the river the keel will be up most every day. Sept for on a few lake like areas in the northern half.

What would you guys think about this motor with the RL-24?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/boa/4735414511.html

The RL-24 is fast an slender so i won't need a lot of HP. Also it has a more standerd looking outboardmount so i won't need a long shaft motor. (i assume). Briggs makes a good engine in general, but I'm not sure about their outboard motors.

I think once i find a boat, I'll kill the thread an make another in a month or so about what to bring, and what route to take.

Jan 19, 2010
The west right looks nice, but two problems. 1, it's in FL. I don't want to but a boat that i can't look at first. And 2, when the keel is up it sticks all the way thru the cabin. On the river the keel will be up most every day. Sept for on a few lake like areas in the northern half.

What would you guys think about this motor with the RL-24?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/boa/4735414511.html

The RL-24 is fast an slender so i won't need a lot of HP. Also it has a more standerd looking outboardmount so i won't need a long shaft motor. (i assume). Briggs makes a good engine in general, but I'm not sure about their outboard motors.

I think once i find a boat, I'll kill the thread an make another in a month or so about what to bring, and what route to take.
Sorry

I didn't know it was in FL. I did a 150 mi search from the Minneapolis zip code and that one popped up.

Jan 19, 2010
Sorry

I didn't know it was in FL. I did a 150 mi search from the Minneapolis zip code and that one popped up.
Ah

I tried it again. I didn't read it carefully enough. It said "Zero Results found so we search internationally".

My bad.

Jan 19, 2010
That Briggs and Stratton isn't wort 100 much less 400! Chief

I used to have one of those on the back of a MacGregor 22. They don't make them anymore...... so finding one in good shape is probably going to be hard....I think I paid $600 new for mine. It always started on the 2nd or 3rd pull. Usually one pull with the choke and one or two without.

Frankly it was an very reliable outboard ... and for the money... well an new Tohatsu is 3X as much and Tohatsu is on the low end of the decent motor market.

It is AIR COOLED so it was REALLY loud, AND it vibrated like hell...shook your fillings out... so would I recomend a Honda or Tohatsu, youbetcha.

But on the plus side... the Briggs is AIR COOLED so no impeller to worry about... and you can motor through thick sea grass without worry of sucking stuff into the water manifold etc... and they are dirt easy to work on. Just make sure you shut it down by turning off the valve on the fuel line. The ethanol in modern gas is not great for the carb.

I took my boat all through the salt marches of the Pamlico Sound in some very thin and mucky water with that O.B. I'm not on my computer right now but if you want to see pics... I can post them for you later.

Nov 26, 2012
rgranger: Tohatsu outboards are not poor motors. I have owned several of them and had great results from them as well as my current new 9.8 Tohatsu. They make Nissan and Mercury as well.
That Briggs is a horrible motor!
Chief

Jan 19, 2010
Yeah... I'd love to have a Tohatsu 6hp sailpro... Right now I have an older 4-stroke Honda 25. It is too much engine for my boat. It will push my boat at hull speed at 1/3 throttle.

I didn't say they were poor motors. I said they are on the low end of the decent motors. You are going to pay more for a Merc (even though they are the same) and you are going to pay a lot more for a Honda, etc. What I was trying to say is that they are a good value.

Re: The Briggs... I think we are saying the same thing. They are a cheap motor... but ... if you just want a motor that will push your boat... they work. Here are some pics of the one I used to have... it took me on some great trips... and always started but it kind of sucked so I sold it. Even though it was 4-stroke it was SOOOOO loud. And my hand would go numb from the vibration. This kid is trying to go on an adventure on a budget. A well found Briggs would do it.. But! They don't make these anymore so it is probably a mute point.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
rgranger: Tohatsu outboards are not poor motors. I have owned several of them and had great results from them as well as my current new 9.8 Tohatsu. They make Nissan and Mercury as well.
That Briggs is a horrible motor!
Chief
Totally concur.... Tohatsu would be my first choice for a new motor.
Tohatsu's are renowned for their reliability... they made their reputation as hard working commercial fishing boat motors... they build other brand names as mentioned. Nothing against Honda...or Yamaha... but we aren't talking motorcycles or generators.. we're talking outboards. My buddy's new 6 hp 4 stroke Yamaha dinghy motor gave him nothing but trouble after only two years. I am constantly reading about Honda owners' problems in this forum and others...

That off my chest, I thing granger was referring to price point rather than quality. he never said tohatsu was a poor motor.... just that it was at the low end of the decent motor group when discussing price.... another reason to choose Tohatsu.

Jan 19, 2010
That off my chest, I thing granger was referring to price point rather than quality. he never said tohatsu was a poor motor.... just that it was at the low end of the decent motor group when discussing price.... another reason to choose Tohatsu.
Yep;)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I really didn't want to post anymore to this thread but ... if you are making a months long trip down a river, motoring all the way (Add Thanksgiving music), you do not want a noisy outboard. Go 4 cycle or go home.
I spend an a couple of hours on a CD 25, with a 2 cycle outboard in a well, with the smoke and I was ready to swim home. The reverberation, choking fumes, and vibration was awful. but I'm nearing 60, and my tolerance for discomfort is dwindling, compounded hourly.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I really didn't want to post anymore to this thread but ... if you are making a months long trip down a river, motoring all the way (Add Thanksgiving music), you do not want a noisy outboard. Go 4 cycle or go home.
I spend an a couple of hours on a CD 25, with a 2 cycle outboard in a well, with the smoke and I was ready to swim home. The reverberation, choking fumes, and vibration was awful. but I'm nearing 60, and my tolerance for discomfort is dwindling, compounded hourly.
Agreed, last year we took a two week trip with what I thought was a reasonably quiet 9.9 2 stroke. After about ten hours of listening to it drone I was ready to jettison it to the deep. Great advice.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
We've had a 5 HP Honda and currently have a 6 HP Tohatsu SailPro on our C-22. The Honda was a GREAT outboard, just much noisier than a Tohatsu, and my 1st Mate couldn't pull start the Honda, just too much strength required. The Tohatsu pull starts like someone left the spark plug out. Having sailed the upper Mississippi River years ago with our swing keel C-22, the river is deeper than you will need, and wing-dams can be a problem for a keel, but you can see them from a distance, and your chart,(you will have charts?), will show them. But as already mentioned, the Tom-Tenn is a much better route to take heading south. Friends have P-19's, and they're nice boats for the size, but when the keel is up, they are difficult to maneuver. The keel really adds to the directional stability. I've dreamed of making this cruise also, keep us posted.

Don

Nov 26, 2012
Not all 2 strokes are noisy just like not all 4 strokes are noisy. My Dingy motor is a 1989 Evinrude 15hp 2 stroke, is quiet, smokes little(buy 100 to 1 and mix it at 75 to 1), weighs less than equal size 4 stroke(75lb), electric start plus hand starts easy,uses more gas and will blow the doors off a 4 stroke 15hp or probably a 20hp as well! That said, I use a 2013 electric start, 25", 10hp Tohatsu on my sailboat and really like it as well. Sips gas and quiet, heavy (104lb),good torque, and looks great!
The reason I have such a large Dingy motor is its several miles to get out of Bodega Bay harbor plus I use it on the Colorado in the winter for large mouth bass fishing. I do intend to also buy a 3.5hp, 41lb, 4 stroke Tohatsu for another dingy motor to use during long distance sailing runs.

Chief

Oct 29, 2014
http://www.hoopersyachts.com/Index.cfm?PageID=11&usedboatid=1246

Here is an American 7.5 that was suggested to me. I plan to go take a look at it this weekend. It still has somewhat of a shallow keel, and comes with a 9.9 Mercury Mariner. Anyone have any experience with these? Boat or motor.

Yes, i do plan on getting a chart. One for my GPS, and a hard copy if i can get my hands on one.

The more i hear about it, the more i think i might just end up taking the Ohio route. Maybe just going to st.Louise an back. Also doing the great lakes has crossed my mind, but maybe I'll save that one for the next trip.

But before i worry too much about that, i need a ship.

Oct 29, 2014
Yeah... I'd love to have a Tohatsu 6hp sailpro... Right now I have an older 4-stroke Honda 25. It is too much engine for my boat. It will push my boat at hull speed at 1/3 throttle.

I didn't say they were poor motors. I said they are on the low end of the decent motors. You are going to pay more for a Merc (even though they are the same) and you are going to pay a lot more for a Honda, etc. What I was trying to say is that they are a good value.

Re: The Briggs... I think we are saying the same thing. They are a cheap motor... but ... if you just want a motor that will push your boat... they work. Here are some pics of the one I used to have... it took me on some great trips... and always started but it kind of sucked so I sold it. Even though it was 4-stroke it was SOOOOO loud. And my hand would go numb from the vibration. This kid is trying to go on an adventure on a budget. A well found Briggs would do it.. But! They don't make these anymore so it is probably a mute point.

If this thing is going to be running 6hours a day, loud is a deal killer. Thanks for the info.

Oct 29, 2014
Thanks for ask the info. once i find a set up I'll make a new thread early next year.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
..... I do intend to also buy a 3.5hp, 41lb, 4 stroke Tohatsu for another dingy motor to use during long distance sailing runs.

Chief
You will like it, have one on the dinghy and have more than once gone by someone on a dock and they have told the person next to them that they couldn't believe how quite it is.

Also have the extra-long shaft 9.8 Tohatsu on the Mac and it took us hundreds of trouble free miles in Florida,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]