is the boat worth the money?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check the swing keel operation and the mast support area. If the sails are good and the trailer is fair then the price is very reasonable. If you are intending to traverse the Mississippi River I would suggest you purchase a good outboard motor in the 5HP range for that boat. There is a lot of traffic in the river that you will need to get away from and a small trolling motor is not going to do it as they lack the power to push against wind and currents. I would strongly suggest that you do your homework about the power consumption of the electric motor and the variables for sizing and installing an adequate solar panel and a battery array.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Go online to onlineoutboards.com and you can look up various size motors and the length of running time per amount of gas. This will give you an estimate of the amount of gas to carry for the size of motor used. I would think that 5 gallons is overkill and would be fine.
I just checked and a 4hp will run about 4 hours on a gallon of gas. Down stream better, up stream worse. Chief

Oct 29, 2014
O'Day O'Day 25 Still water
I have looked into solar panels a bit, from my research and what you all have told me i think I'm just going to scrap the idea.

I'm hoping i can beach the boat, but i am going to bring an inflatable raft just in case i ever have to paddle to shore. The folding wagon is a wonderful idea. Also i will definitely check out the outboards website. I'm thinking I'll be able to sail or just drift along most of the time. It's 900 mile trip, i plan on it taking about 6 weeks. I will be in no hurry though.

I was told that selling it in new Orleans might be pretty easy because it has never seen salt water. On the other hand it's only a 20' boat. People around there would probably be looking for something a little more sea worthy. I guess we'll find out when i get there. Right now I'm more concerned about making it there in one piece.

Again thanks for all the advice everyone. This has been a huge help. Jackdaw an i might go take a look at the luger tomorrow morning.

Oct 29, 2014
Getting ran over is a scary thought. I read that it can take up to a mile for one of those things to stop when going down stream. I have already spent a lot of time near the Mississippi in Minneapolis so i am some what familiar with how operate and sound. I have even been on a coupe of them when i was younger. At least i have that going for me.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
....I'm hoping i can beach the boat....
Something to think about.

The picture above and the next was taken yesterday.

Bill who owns the Macgregor above set out from Michigan City and then Chicago on the 13th of October and made it down the Illinois and is now on the Mississippi below St. Louis. and then ....

Unfortunately, I got a bit close to a shoal and with wind and current pushing me got grounded at about noon. Called Boat US but guess what? Nobody even near this part of the world. They may come about noon today but the river is dropping and I might be able to walk off the boat by the time they get here — without getting my shoes wet. What the future holds ?? but it is truly an adventure
So the river kept going down and by the time BoatUS got to him the boat sat as in the pictures above but the BoatUS captain (Gordon R, Beattie) .....

after surveying the scene decides on a plan and proceeds to cautiously work his way north of my little Island and try’s to anchor up, but his anchor wouldn’t hold. Eventually he finds a spot ,at just the right depth, and grounds his boat. He then jumps out of the boat and starts wading towards me with this 200 ft, 3/4 ” line. To make a long story short, he fashions a Bridle which consists of a line from each cleat on the bow and another to the tow hook on the lower bow, measures each line so they are of equal length to equalize the weight distribution, attaches the 3/4″ line to them — and then wades out to his boat. He takes off up river and pulls the bow in an arc about 90 degrees and then takes off with power. I feel a certain resistance at first and my pessimistic side says,” No way!” but that side fortunately lost as we took off over the rocks at quite a speed, out into open water.
I am now anchored out ( with my new Anchor) down river from my island and will travel on to Cpe Gerado in the AM.
He has a good trip report going here....

http://themerlin26.wordpress.com/

... and the think to remember is to keep track of if the river is going up or down ;),

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Priorities for me might be:

Outboard
Depth finder
Long strong poles for poling off
Paddles
A handheld VHF with weather at a minimum and have a way to charge it.
A spot light
Gin pole if you can't handle the mast by hand.
Nav lights need to be up to par
Spare anchor
Plenty of line
A tent and various camping equipment

An automobile service station can top off batteries for you
occasionally along the way and I would have at least 2 deep cycle on board.

On longer trips I carry a battery charger and extension cords for AC so if an opportunity comes up to recharge I take it.

If I were you I would carry lamps that burn lamp oil to save power

Just musing...

Oct 29, 2014
Oh wow, that boat looks like a lot of fun, but the situation does notlook fun at all. I read a similar from a guy canoeing. he pitched his tent on the breach, then woke up a few hours later to find him and his tent under water.

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
I read that it can take up to a mile for one of those things to stop when going down stream.
I've seen barge tows stop very quickly on the Kanawha. (4000hp in reverse will do that, I reckon) They have to have a good reason for it, though. (I never want to be that reason.)

Sep 28, 2005
-Florida Bay Boat Co. -Peep Hen Minnesota
Priorities for me might be:

Outboard
Depth finder
Long strong poles for poling off
Paddles
A handheld VHF with weather at a minimum and have a way to charge it.
A spot light
Gin pole if you can't handle the mast by hand.
Nav lights need to be up to par
Spare anchor
Plenty of line
A tent and various camping equipment

An automobile service station can top off batteries for you
occasionally along the way and I would have at least 2 deep cycle on board.

On longer trips I carry a battery charger and extension cords for AC so if an opportunity comes up to recharge I take it.

If I were you I would carry lamps that burn lamp oil to save power

Just musing...
This is exactly the way to go... If you over night occasionally at a marina, you can refill gas, plug in to recharge batteries, and probably hit a grocery store. There are plenty of people that do the Mississippi with canoes and small boats. Your pick of boat is plenty capable. I think you may end up motoring more than sailing though.

Fair Winds, Brian

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
... If you over night occasionally at a marina, you can refill gas, plug in to recharge batteries, and probably hit a grocery store..
I was really shocked recently while reading about the Great Loop and doing the lower Mississippi to read...

In order to cruise the Lower
Mississippi, your boat's fuel capacity must provide you with a fuel range of
352 miles if
you use diesel
, or 449 miles if you use gasoline. .........

While the Tennessee - Tombigbee route offers dozens of Marinas between the
Ohio river and the Gulf ICW, the Lower Mississippi river offers only 2 Marinas
Lots more here....

http://www.captainjohn.org/River_MissLO.html

Not saying there might be some place to go ashore (non-marina) and walk to get gas but I'd want to know what those options are.

Me, I'd take the Mississippi to Cario and then go over to the Tenn-Tom but my personal interest is more the Great Loop and not doing the length of the Mississippi. Going to New Orleans does sound more romantic though :) and from Captain John...

If you are indeed Tom Sawyer traveling with Huck Finn, and neither of you hesitate to jump into the muddy water, or climb up a river's muddy banks carrying enough jerry cans to refuel your vessel, or hike out to get ice and provisions as needed; and you love your solitude, you will most likely be thrilled boating down the full length of the Lower Mississippi.
Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That's a revelation regarding the lack of services in the lower Miss. I'd heard it's a tough trip but I though more so because of river traffic. I'd never even heard if the Tombigbee route. I do think this would be a better powerboat trip than sailing vessel trip. I'd look for a displacement hull with a small diesel. I think at least 28' for 6 knots. I'd like some sort of flybridge or high deck to get up to see and for the breeze. Zipper up tight for the bugs which are going to be plentiful. And I'd want a serious bimini for shade.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I kind of wondered why a sailboat was selected for this trip. The Mississippi is not prime sailing waters. Strong currents, narrow, curvy with tons of bridges and don't forget the barge traffic. It's a shallow river too with lots of wing dams. The barge lanes are dredged to a minimum of 9 feet though. In my 32 years I lived on the Mississippi, I cannot recall ever seeing a sailboat. You would be better off on a pontoon boat or even a flat bottom fishing boat.

Oct 29, 2014
I kind of wondered why a sailboat was selected for this trip. The Mississippi is not prime sailing waters. Strong currents, narrow, curvy with tons of bridges and don't forget the barge traffic. It's a shallow river too with lots of wing dams. The barge lanes are dredged to a minimum of 9 feet though. In my 32 years I lived on the Mississippi, I cannot recall ever seeing a sailboat. You would be better off on a pontoon boat or even a flat bottom fishing boat.
part of the reason if because they're cheap.... or at least that's my impression. there are few other types of boats out there that are cheap and have a small yet comfy cabin. the other reason is that i want to learn how to sail. i plan on using the motor for 80% of the trip, but i thought on those long nice breezy days it would be fun to hoist the sails and get some experience. i have looks at pontoons and cabin cruisers, but they are a lot more spendy. i don't need anything high class. i just want a small boat with a cozy cabin to sleep in. i figured as long as i get something with a folding keel it would work. do you think i should keep looking for something other than a sail boat? i am interested in hearing your thoughts...

Oct 29, 2014
I was really shocked recently while reading about the Great Loop and doing the lower Mississippi to read...

Lots more here....

http://www.captainjohn.org/River_MissLO.html

Not saying there might be some place to go ashore (non-marina) and walk to get gas but I'd want to know what those options are.

Me, I'd take the Mississippi to Cario and then go over to the Tenn-Tom but my personal interest is more the Great Loop and not doing the length of the Mississippi. Going to New Orleans does sound more romantic though :) and from Captain John...

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

yeah, i have actually read that through that same website. i haven't dont it yet, but at some point i plan on figuring out just how much fuel i'll need to get through the lower half of the mississippi, and going through google maps to figure out just where every gas station is. there might be a few here and there that i could easily walk to. another possibility is just going the ohio route.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
part of the reason if because they're cheap.... or at least that's my impression. there are few other types of boats out there that are cheap and have a small yet comfy cabin. the other reason is that i want to learn how to sail. i plan on using the motor for 80% of the trip, but i thought on those long nice breezy days it would be fun to hoist the sails and get some experience. i have looks at pontoons and cabin cruisers, but they are a lot more spendy. i don't need anything high class. i just want a small boat with a cozy cabin to sleep in. i figured as long as i get something with a folding keel it would work. do you think i should keep looking for something other than a sail boat? i am interested in hearing your thoughts...
You are right in that the sailboat is going to give you the most for your money, but I think learning to sail on this trip is going to be very limited. If you wanted the boat to sail on say on some of the lakes on the upper Mississippi for the summer then yes but sailing going south would be very, very limited and you'd understand why once you did get a chance to sail. The prevailing wind direction, your desired direction, the width of the river, the current, the traffic and more will make sailing very difficult once you get down past St. Louis.

I'll bet you could find a sailboat free or almost free that would work as a trawler which is basically what you need if you started looking ahead of time. Guys get there mast bent or something else happens where it is just too expensive to fix and keep as a sailboat. Check this out...

Catigale wrote:Crap...I would have taken that boat, pulled the v8, and put my OB on it and had the cool Hudson River cruiser I seek.

I call dibs on the next crack boat. If the hauler just wants the engine I'm interested in the rest .....
I've already got my eye on another one....see I find people wanting to "sell trailer, must take boat" and since I conveniently have my own personal boat lift I offer to give a deposit, bring the boat here and hoist it off, and bring their trailer back. It's easier to sell a trailer without a "project" boat on it.

I bring them home and strip them out....and I love the surprises I find inside the cabins like, the Flare guns are always fun at parties...
http://www.macgregor26x.com/forum/v...&sid=90f5a162b6cbcae009533d2d8c21e298#p290245

.. another possibility is just going the ohio route.
That would get you to the Gulf but would it meet your dreams of doing the Mississippi to New Orleans? Only you can answer that.

Lots of options for you to consider,

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
If you wanted the boat to sail on say on some of the lakes on the upper Mississippi for the summer then yes but sailing going south would be very, very limited and you'd understand why once you did get a chance to sail. The prevailing wind direction, your desired direction, the width of the river, the current, the traffic and more will make sailing very difficult once you get down past St. Louis.
That is very true.

The problem with other types of boats is they do not even give you the option of sailing.

Once you reach the Gulf the dynamic will change and a sailboat will come into its own.

Here is a bit of inspiration.
http://www.marinasinneworleans.com/OM.htm

At 21' you would be paying out less than $45 a night to, not bad for a spot you can take a streetcar down to the quarter from.:dance:

No matter what type of boat you get I would suggest one of these.

http://amzn.com/B000EH0ORI

Make fueling much less messy, pouring out of a 5 gallon jug always is horrible but it is worse on a boat that is bobbing about.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This is not too far from where you are...

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/44780

And this would make an excellent river boat.

This is what it could look like once you fixed it up... (see attached).

It has a draft of just a few inches. No keel to deal with. Lots more space, faster, nice open deck to chill on and you can take it all the way to Key Largo if you wanted to.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Honestly if I lived closer, that would already be in my driveway. A good pressure wash, some new paint... replace any dry rot wood and find you a nice Tohatsu 6 hp with an alternator and the only thing missing is about 10 cases of Chef Boyardee a 20 gallons of drinking water.

Go here if you want to learn more about these boats...

www.wharram.com