is the boat worth the money?

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
This is not too far from where you are...

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/44780

And this would make an excellent river boat.

This is what it could look like once you fixed it up... (see attached).

It has a draft of just a few inches. No keel to deal with. Lots more space, faster, nice open deck to chill on and you can take it all the way to Key Largo if you wanted to.
Now that is a pretty sweet setup. Being a Cat rig and seeing no apparent dagger board setup it may just not go to weather that well but the space and speed bonus would be a nice.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
This is not too far from where you are...

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/44780

And this would make an excellent river boat.

This is what it could look like once you fixed it up... (see attached).

It has a draft of just a few inches. No keel to deal with. Lots more space, faster, nice open deck to chill on and you can take it all the way to Key Largo if you wanted to.

Cute little...

.. micro-cruiser in a couple of those pictures with the cat that is for sale. Some have gone to the Bahamas in those. Not sure about running the river with the barges though;).

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Now that is a pretty sweet setup. Being a Cat rig and seeing no apparent dagger board setup it may just not go to weather that well but the space and speed bonus would be a nice.
Yes I've had my eyes on the Wharram cats for several years...

From the website...In 1981, the Tiki 21 was given first prize by Cruising World magazine (USA) in their design competition for a ‘Trailable Gunkholer’. As of 2010, 925 Tiki 21 Plans have been sold.

From the blogs I've read, they go to weather fairly well. Some have added spinnakers to the sail plan with good success.

Some have even taken these things to Hawaii. I'd want the Tiki 26 or 30 for something like that but hey... still cool.

Depending on how you set it up, you can have between 2 and four births. If you are going solo down the 'sissippi, I'd set it up for two births and bring a good dog along for the second birth. Safer than a gun and someone to watch the boat while you treck into town.

Another thing about the Tiki is that it is demountable... each piece is small enough that three to four guys can carry it...so if you got desperate and had to portage, all you would need is to draft two guys to give you a hand and you could carry your pieces of the boat over a barrier and reconstruct on the other side.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Sumner
How do you make the yellow arrows?:D
Hey I have blue and red ones also :)...

If you really want to know I drew the ones above with a simple paint type program just using the line mode. Then they were saved as a jpeg file.

I edit photos with the free paint.net....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint.NET

... it works well and I can do a "print screen" like I did above and paste it in paint.net.

Then with the 'magic wand' tool in paint.net I copy the arrow I want and paste it into the photo I'm working on. Once you paste it in paint.net it lets you easily rotate it and change its shape or length, etc..

Sounds complicated but it isn't,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yes I've had my eyes on the Wharram cats for several years...

From the website...In 1981, the Tiki 21 was given first prize by Cruising World magazine (USA) in their design competition for a ‘Trailable Gunkholer’. As of 2010, 925 Tiki 21 Plans have been sold.

Depending on how you set it up, you can have between 2 and four births. If you are going solo down the 'sissippi, I'd set it up for two births and bring a good dog along for the second birth. Safer than a gun and someone to watch the boat while you treck into town.

Damn, that's a lot of birthin'..... you could call it a maternity cruiser.

Jan 19, 2010
Damn, that's a lot of birthin'..... you could call it a maternity cruiser.
:redface:

Thank doG for lexdysics...

... and then there was the time I told my elderly neighbor "Good Mourning".:snooty:

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Sit in the boat for a long while before you purchase. The coaming on that boat looks quite low on the aft half of the cockpit. Might be uncomfortably lacking in back support. OK for day sailing. Not so OK for putt-putting down the Mississippi day after day after day.

Hooks

Oct 11, 2014
Neptune 24 Slidell, Louisiana
Let me know when you're in New Orleans :) I'll show you around a little.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Sit in the boat for a long while before you purchase. The coaming on that boat looks quite low on the aft half of the cockpit. Might be uncomfortably lacking in back support. OK for day sailing. Not so OK for putt-putting down the Mississippi day after day after day.
A tiller extension and some floating cushions and you can move about the cockpit. A lot of times I end up sitting atop the gunnel leaning on the stanchion.

Oct 29, 2014
O'Day O'Day 25 Still water
That 21' cat has certainly cought my interest.

1. It's wood. Not to mention old. Could be rotting.
2. There are two separate cabins correct? And they look pretty small. I plan on doing this with a friend. I think i would rather have one big cabin where we both can comfortably hangout.

It's a 2.5 hour drive for me to go look at this thing, and $700 more than the luger. Think it's still worth a look after hearing my concerns? Could anyone give me some insight onjust how big/comfy the cabins are?

Oct 29, 2014
A tiller extension and some floating cushions and you can move about the cockpit. A lot of times I end up sitting atop the gunnel leaning on the stanchion.

I have thought a lot about this. When i was looking at trolling motors i was looking into the ones that had a remote foot pedal. That way i could float along from anywhere on board. However now that i have decided to go with a gas outboard instead i would like to make some sort of dive by wire (mechanical) control box. I was a mechanic for years and am now a CAD designer. I have no dout that this can be done, I'm just not sure how i am going to do it yet.

Jan 19, 2010
That 21' cat has certainly cought my interest.

1. It's wood. Not to mention old. Could be rotting.
2. There are two separate cabins correct? And they look pretty small. I plan on doing this with a friend. I think i would rather have one big cabin where we both can comfortably hangout.

It's a 2.5 hour drive for me to go look at this thing, and $700 more than the luger. Think it's still worth a look after hearing my concerns? Could anyone give me some insight onjust how big/comfy the cabins are?
I guess you could shoot the guy an email with questions before driving out to see it. If it was done according to plan, the exterior should have a layer of fiberglass. So rot is the big question. Maybe no rot... maybe a lot of rot....

You would not have the big cabin but you would have a lot more deck space. Since you are out of the boat more than in the boat... a larger deck or cockpit would be a plus in my mind.

But that is me. When I cruise, I cook out in the cockpit, eat in the cockpit etc. and only go in the cabin to sleep. I have a nice bimini cover (I recommend one of those as a necessity)

So if you bring a friend... maybe you should have two people sit in the cockpit of this boat for a while before buying it. It could get crowded fast. But if it seems like a good fit go for it.

I think someone already said it but ... you got to let the boat speak to you.

Oct 29, 2014
http://brainerd.craigslist.org/boa/4737158013.html

so another possibility popped up on CL. Twic as spendy, but a lot nicer looking. Also the center board tyle might be better on the river.

This one is about a 3 hour drive away. If i spend a whole day looking at it, it better be worth it.

Cabin is a little smaller, but i do like how the outboard gets mounted.

Oct 29, 2014
I guess you could shoot the guy an email with questions before driving out to see it. If it was done according to plan, the exterior should have a layer of fiberglass. So rot is the big question. Maybe no rot... maybe a lot of rot....

You would not have the big cabin but you would have a lot more deck space. Since you are out of the boat more than in the boat... a larger deck or cockpit would be a plus in my mind.

But that is me. When I cruise, I cook out in the cockpit, eat in the cockpit etc. and only go in the cabin to sleep. I have a nice bimini cover (I recommend one of those as a necessity)

So if you bring a friend... maybe you should have two people sit in the cockpit of this boat for a while before buying it. It could get crowded fast. But if it seems like a good fit go for it.

I think someone already said it but ... you got to let the boat speak to you.
Having the deck space would be nice, but i do still need to make sure there is plenty of space for food, water, equipment and two ppl. I'm sure I'll spend 90% of time I'm awake outside.However of it's ever cold, pooring rain,or the skeeters are out to get me i don't want my friend an i to be totally cramped and miserable below deck.

Seeing as how i have never done anything like this, Perhaps my priorities aren't in the right spot. This was just my initial reasoning.

Jan 19, 2010
http://brainerd.craigslist.org/boa/4737158013.html

so another possibility popped up on CL. Twic as spendy, but a lot nicer looking. Also the center board tyle might be better on the river.

This one is about a 3 hour drive away. If i spend a whole day looking at it, it better be worth it.

Cabin is a little smaller, but i do like how the outboard gets mounted.
Well since you are willing to drive 3 hours and spend $2K... here is a West Wight Potter (very well respected boat!!!!) on eBay. These are truly several steps up from what you have looked at so far.

West Wright Potter 19' with Aluminum trailer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/West-Wright...item462aee4bfb&item=301367970811&pt=Sailboats

and it comes with an outboard motor too... and a full compliment of sails. If you figure you won't need to buy an outboard, you could kick your bid up to $2500 and this would be a steal if you win the bid.

This one also looks very sharp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-very-rare...item3f3fbd0fd2&item=271652294610&pt=Sailboats

Remember one thing when buying a used sailboat.... you are actually paying for the trailer, sails and outboard. Think of the boat as free. All the mildew and bad paint, chipped fiberglass etc. can be fixed cheap. A new outboard motor is easily $2000 and a new set of sails also $2000 and a new trailer... also $2000.... so don't get hypnotized by the romance of the boat. You can make her your own with a little fiberglass, paint and a few hand tools once your bring her home on the road worthy trailer....

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The West Wright Potter has it's devotee's. It's a pretty short WLL, which means slow. It's a long trip in a slow boat. But it is beach able and supposedly can take some rough water.
BTW, Reggiemia, comfy is not really what your trip is going to be about. There are times when you and your friend are going cramped, wet and miserable down below, up top above and in-between. You should really plan some time off the boat - Motel 6 will look like the Plaza after a while on whatever boat you choose.

Oct 29, 2014
The West Wright Potter has it's devotee's. It's a pretty short WLL, which means slow. It's a long trip in a slow boat. But it is beach able and supposedly can take some rough water.
BTW, Reggiemia, comfy is not really what your trip is going to be about. There are times when you and your friend are going cramped, wet and miserable down below, up top above and in-between. You should really plan some time off the boat - Motel 6 will look like the Plaza after a while on whatever boat you choose.
I don't mind slow, I'm more about fuel efficiency. Those do go hand in hand tho.

I totally understand what you are saying about being miserable at some point, i would just like to minimize it as much as possible. Yes, time off the boat for sure. I plan on doing a little hiking and am bringing a tent to camp on the beach if i ever feel like it.

Oct 29, 2014
Well since you are willing to drive 3 hours and spend $2K... here is a West Wight Potter (very well respected boat!!!!) on eBay. These are truly several steps up from what you have looked at so far.

West Wright Potter 19' with Aluminum trailer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/West-Wright...item462aee4bfb&item=301367970811&pt=Sailboats

and it comes with an outboard motor too... and a full compliment of sails. If you figure you won't need to buy an outboard, you could kick your bid up to $2500 and this would be a steal if you win the bid.

This one also looks very sharp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-very-rare...item3f3fbd0fd2&item=271652294610&pt=Sailboats

Remember one thing when buying a used sailboat.... you are actually paying for the trailer, sails and outboard. Think of the boat as free. All the mildew and bad paint, chipped fiberglass etc. can be fixed cheap. A new outboard motor is easily $2000 and a new set of sails also $2000 and a new trailer... also $2000.... so don't get hypnotized by the romance of the boat. You can make her your own with a little fiberglass, paint and a few hand tools once your bring her home on the road worthy trailer....
With the luger, i was thinking $5-600 to get it sea worthy and up to par. (assuming there's no real damage so just finish the cabin, replace some of the hardware, re wire. I already have all the tools, most of the wood and wire i can get cheap). I know you haven't looked at it, but does that sound reasonable? (I'm unsure how spendy rigging hardware is). Or do you think i would be better off spending another 1,000 and getting something that's ready to sail? I know it's hard to say without looking at the boats, but any insight i could get would be awesome.