is the boat worth the money?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
In my opinion, a 50 pound thrust electric motor won't be enough. A gas backup would be a requirement. You could probably get by with 3.5hp-5hp, and use a high thrust prop for your gas motor.

It's expensive, but you'd probably do well with a Torqeedo electric outboard. They use lithium ion rechargeables for much greater energy density, and put out about 2-3hp. I believe if you get enough solar panels, you could effective run from the solar panels.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Btw, you are aware of the numerous lock and dams along the Mississippi correct? I really don't think an electric trolling motor is going to be able to hold your position waiting for the locks to open when heading south.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.... he said he'd take $900 for it. ...
How much more do you have budgeted for this? I'm adding more solar to my Mac and an 80# motor and between the trolling motor, the panels (360 watts),
the charge controller, the wiring, the batteries I'll have probably $2000 in this mod and I've been working on it for over a month 4-6 hrs. a day.

I think for sure you are going to want a 4-6 HP outboard as backup and finding a reliable one is going to be most likely $400-$600 used. Then there is going to be a bunch of other stuff so just consider that the $900 is just the beginning.

The trip is a great idea so I'm not trying to discourage you from that just hate to see you get into this and find out the expenses were far higher than anticipated. Also it is hard to get any of this back out of the boat when you go to sell it as I well know :cry:.

Here is a link for you that covers some of the route you are thinking about.....

http://www.captainjohn.org/River_MissUP.html

... and I think somewhere on his site he mentions that below St. Louis it is going to be hard to sail much.

Anyway keep looking at your options and have a good time, but be safe also :),

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Oct 29, 2014
O'Day O'Day 25 Still water
Btw, you are aware of the numerous lock and dams along the Mississippi correct? I really don't think an electric trolling motor is going to be able to hold your position waiting for the locks to open when heading south.
Thank you, this is precisely the kind of information i need to know. I am aware of the locks, but am unsure of how hard out is to navigate them. I watched videos of canoes going throw some and they didn't look like they had much trouble. However i couldn't find anything on 20'sailboats. Any more info you could give would be a huge help!

Oct 29, 2014
How much more do you have budgeted for this? I'm adding more solar to my Mac and an 80# motor and between the trolling motor, the panels (360 watts),
the charge controller, the wiring, the batteries I'll have probably $2000 in this mod and I've been working on it for over a month 4-6 hrs. a day.

I think for sure you are going to want a 4-6 HP outboard as backup and finding a reliable one is going to be most likely $400-$600 used. Then there is going to be a bunch of other stuff so just consider that the $900 is just the beginning.

The trip is a great idea so I'm not trying to discourage you from that just hate to see you get into this and find out the expenses were far higher than anticipated. Also it is hard to get any of this back out of the boat when you go to sell it as I well know :cry:.

Here is a link for you that covers some of the route you are thinking about.....

http://www.captainjohn.org/River_MissUP.html

... and I think somewhere on his site he mentions that below St. Louis it is going to be hard to sail much.

Anyway keep looking at your options and have a good time, but be safe also :),

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]
I've looked into the electronic side of this plan only a little. I figured for panels, motor, and electrics out would be anywhere from 1500-2500. I would like to do the whole thing under 4grand, but I'll starting to see, that might be pushing it.
I have thought about just scraping the solar idea and just going with a gas outboard. Even with fuel, that might end up being cheaper. What would you do?

kito

Sep 13, 2012
It's not that hard to paddle a canoe against the current. Just saying, inform the lock master early that you are coming through. I have seen some let a single pleasure boater through. Some will have you wait. I know the current gets pretty strong close to the dam when the gates are open.

Oct 29, 2014
It's not that hard to paddle a canoe against the current. Just saying, inform the lock master early that you are coming through. I have seen some let a single pleasure boater through. Some will have you wait. I know the current gets pretty strong close to the dam when the gates are open.
Yeah, Im 'msure it's a lot easier to navigate a canoe than a sailboat, however i did read that as long as you stay next to the shore the currants aren't too bad and once in the lock you can tie off. Is this true? I suppose every lock is a little different. I won't mind waiting though, an i do plan on having radio.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Wait for Jackdaw, he will answer most any doubts or problems you are concerned with. Chief

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
....I have thought about just scraping the solar idea and just going with a gas outboard. Even with fuel, that might end up being cheaper. What would you do?
If this is a one way trip and you were selling at the other end that is what I'd do. You can sell outboards that are in good repair easier than boats. You are in the ball park to do the solar, but I don't think you would get 20 cents on the dollar for what you put into it.

I'm trying it for calm weather and for maybe doing the Erie Canal and even with the 80# thrust I don't plan on using it for any kind of major current or wind situation, I still have the 9.8HP outboard for that.

I lived near the Tongue River in northern Wyoming and ran it with a canoe on occasion and always thought about doing it down to the Missouri and onto St. Louis where I grew up. Never did it and regret that so make this happen if you can. A friend's son had his friend recently go from the headwaters of the Mississippi to New Orleans in a canoe. Not saying do that but find something that is safe and have at it. It will be something you remember until you die. I still hope to have an adventure or two left in me :),

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Oct 29, 2014
If this is a one way trip and you were selling at the other end that is what I'd do. You can sell outboards that are in good repair easier than boats. You are in the ball park to do the solar, but I don't think you would get 20 cents on the dollar for .....Mac-Venture Links[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
Thanks for the advice. I do plan on making it happen. I already have someone that is going to do it with me. I'm Going to have to quit my job, but I didn't care for it much anyways haha. I'm 26 and have already spent most of my adult life sitting in an office. This trip, or one like it, is a must for me.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
My take.

Get a 50watt panel w controller and 4 stroke outboard. Electric is nice but quiet and reliable gas power can't be beat.

Get a depth finder, tablet with gps for charting an 2 waterproof VHF handhelds ( one can charge below as you use the other).

Sounds like a fantastic trip. I would love to give it a go.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
What is it, at least 3500 miles round trip? Are trolling motors even designed for that kind of abuse? You may find yourself up the river without a paddle. Get a good outboard along with your solar powered trolling motor. I know for a fact that those river barges cannot maneuver very well and you better have the HP to get out of their way. Especially in the parts of the river with lots of bends. Plus it's nice to have the HP to get out of a north bound barge's wake. North bound barge's against the south current puts out huge wakes. I have been in 12-15 foot swells.
It does sound like a fun trip if you are properly prepared. Btw, a good place to camp for the night is an Island called Hogback. It's on the east side about 5 miles south of the LaGrange Missouri lock and dam. It's a sand beach and you will see tons of boats there. I spent every summer weekend there when I was young :) Or if you want a nice sit down meal, take a sharp left before the Quincy, Il bridge and head into the Quincy Bay. There is a waterfront restaurant called "The Pier" with docks. You can eat there or walk up Front Street about 2 blocks and hit "Kutters" bar and grill. Get there tenderloin sandwich.....that thing is HUGE!. There is also a marina further back in the bay that you can dock for the night too.

Oct 29, 2014
What is it, at least 3500 miles round trip? Are trolling motors even designed for that kind of abuse? You may find yourself up the river without a paddle. Get a good outboard along with your solar powered trolling motor. I know for a fact that those river barges cannot maneuver very well and you better have the HP to get out of their way. Especially in the parts of the river with lots of bends. Plus it's nice to have the HP to get out of a north bound barge's wake. North bound barge's against the south current puts out huge wakes. I have been in 12-15 foot swells.
It does sound like a fun trip if you are properly prepared. Btw, a good place to camp for the night is an Island called Hogback. It's on the east side about 5 miles south of the LaGrange Missouri lock and dam. It's a sand beach and you will see tons of boats there. I spent every summer weekend there when I was young :) Or if you want a nice sit down meal, take a sharp left before the Quincy, Il bridge and head into the Quincy Bay. There is a waterfront restaurant called "The Pier" with docks. You can eat there or walk up Front Street about 2 blocks and hit "Kutters" bar and grill. Get there tenderloin sandwich.....that thing is HUGE!. There is also a marina further back in the bay that you can dock for the night too.
the more people talk, the more i want to scrap the electric motor and get a good running 4 stroke. i should start asking what the MPG on something like that would be, and figure out how big of a fuel tank i would need.

i think i would start out in still water on the st. croix. about 900 miles one way. the most likely think to happen then is sell the boat and buy a car. i'm not really sure though. i haven't thought that far ahead. i'll probably end up winging it.

thanks for the tip on the island and restaurants. i'll check them out on google maps.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
the more people talk, the more i want to scrap the electric motor and get a good running 4 stroke. i should start asking what the MPG on something like that would be, and figure out how big of a fuel tank i would need.
I get about 10 mpg with the larger Mac boat and with a 9.8 HP Tohatsu and before that an 8 HP Honda. I'd recommend a 4-6 HP Tohatsu (they also make the 4-6 HP Nissian and Merc engines). Only difference in the 4, 5 and 6 HP is the carb. I'm guess going down river at part throttle maybe 14-16 mpg at probably about 5 mph. We always ran about that speed as running the max speed of a little over 7 used a lot more fuel.

One problem might be the selling part. That can take time with a boat and that means you have to find a place to leave it and someone to show it and that can all cost. Plus the boat is there and the trailer is a long ways away.

If you got into it for $900 and some change (keep everything simple like you are going camping on the water) and bought a good use outboard for say $600. Get there and give the boat away and put the outboard in the car you buy and sell it when you have the chance. The trip would be worth the price of the boat :),

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
I agree on going with gas for adequate power and reliability. As someone else mentioned, staying clear of barge tows is going to be a primary concern. You don't ever want to find yourself out in the channel without some means of making headway. Barges can be deceptive. The end that's apt to run over you just makes a gentle whooshing sound while the noisy part is a quarter mile back. That's also something to keep in mind when planning where you'll spend your nights.

I operate a similar sized boat on an inland river, and I use around two gallons of gas per season in my 4hp 2-stroke. One tank, about half a gallon, will get me around four hours of motor time. Not sure how to translate that into MPG. There should be plenty of places to buy gas along your route, so I wouldn't expect you'd need to carry more than five gallons or so with you at any given time.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... I wouldn't expect you'd need to carry more than five gallons or so with you at any given time.

You may want a collapsable luggage cart to put the gas can on... or even a wagon if you also plan an hauling groceries back.

I have a 10 gal. tank and I've had to carry it miles back to the boat. It gets heavy... On a long trip like that you may find yourself walking a half mile or more from the boat to get provisions and fuel. A wagon could come in very handy