Ideal trailerable sailboat - theoretical approach

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you're interested in a trailerable cruiser, check out the Ericson 25. See especially the four-part article, "Why I Bought the Ericson 25," which addresses a variety of trailerable boats in the 23-27 foot range. www.ericson25.com
Nice!

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Here is yet another example of trailerable sailboat, this time from Germany.

Sailart 22
LOA: 7.3m (23.95')
LOD: 6.6m (21.65')
Beam: 2.3m (7.55')
Draft: 0.66 / 1.45m (2.17' / 4.76')
Weight: 1100 Kg (2420 lbs)
Website: http://translate.google.com/transla....sailart.de/segelboote/segelboote.htm&act=url

There is an interesting video on their website showing hydraulic mast raising system, quite neat design. Also, I like the self-tacking jib. Design, overall, very modern and elegant but I suspect this would be reflected in the price of this boat.

Nov 8, 2010
Interesting video, unfortunately in French, comparing the following trailerable sailboats (anyone willing to translate??):
A quick one.

A gathering of 4 transportable (trailer-able) 20 footers.. this class made more and more relevant because of the rising cost of berthing boats in slips. And the simplicity for an older generation who wants to get back into sailing easily. Three challengers against the segment leader for 20 years, the venerable First 21.7.

Kerkena 6.1
An agreeable boat, sails OK. Claim to fame is the double berth under the cockpit, giving true sleeping for 4 in a 20 footer. Very small kitchen. Backrests in cockpit are unique and nice. Mast raising system allows for mast to be done easily by a couple. Very clever trailer.

Maxus 21
A boat fulled with clever ideas and hardware. Sails OK. Lots of room. Mast raising system allows mast to be raised by one person. I don't think they had much time with this boat.

Antila 22
The biggest boat, and most focused on comfort. Sadly it effects sailing, which is slow and cumbersome. I think this reminded the reviewers of a Hunter, which whose typical 'volume at any cost' design mentality does not agree with the French.

First 21.7
The best sailing boat. Best steering by far. The dual rudders add much to keep you in control of the boat. Inside is simple and rather small, but the compression arch keeps it open and the one big space is manageable as you see fit. The Beneteau First manager says the boat was specifically designed to be a safe fun weekender, with a deep heavy keel that still can be raised to bring the boat to the beach.

Not too surprising, the French and (VeV magazine) have had a love affair with the First 210/21.7/20s for some twenty years. But it really does fit the French psyche and how the French look at sailing. Simple, fast, safe, off-the-wind boats than can be taken offshore. Remember there are really no lakes in France, all sailing is ocean sailing.

Nov 8, 2010
Many thanks for the translations Jackdaw!
No problem! That link was a great find; normally VeV just posts teasers to the public, you have to subscribe to get the full deal. Someone must have posted that unofficially.

It's too bad we don't have sailing mags like that in the USA anymore... That and Practical Boat Owner and Sailing Today in the UK are the real deal. Real no-holds bared reviews, not the watered down tit-for-tat advert subsidized crap we see here. Actually having a dozen 20-24 footers to choose from helps too!

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
Hi all,

Let's face it. Currently there are not really that many choices when it comes to NEW trailerable sailboats on the market in North America. It is a specific niche, we have a lot of boats which are ageing and loosing their appeal and looks as boat styling and design is changing. I would like to talk about trailerable boat(s) that we would like to see. How long? How wide? How much? What weight? What comfort features would we like to see in out "ideal" boat? Do post your ideas and thoughts, comments and suggestions. Let the imagination kick in :)

I shall break the ice and start. Here is what I would like to have in my "ideal" boat.

Price (ready to sail, with motor, trailer etc, "turn key package") : below $55000
Length: 24-26ft (hull length, LOA can be longer)
Beam: Maximum legal is 8'6" (no permit) in US and Canada.
Type: Centreboard/light swing keel
Draft: min 1ft, max (keel down) say around 6ft
Self righting
Standing height: min 5'8
Outboard in a well with possibility to lift it up out of the water stream
Maximum waterline length (so nearly vertical bow)
Maximum beam carried aft
Hard chimes for larger internal volume
No balsa sandwich
Enclosed head
Plenty of wood inside
Well equipped galley
Standard roller
Standard lazy jack w/integrated sail cover
Swim platform
Integrated mast lowering system to go under bridges etc on the fly
Kick up rudder
Ballast: balance of solid ballast in the hull and water ballast for towing with larger SUV

So these would be my requirements. Yes, I know the boat would have a higher freeboard, but as a boat I would use extensively on weekends or longer, I do want more comfort than comfortable sitting height.
I spent considerable time on trying to figure this question out for myself. I've come up with several boats that I think would do it for me. The Dana 24 and the Pacifica Flicka are probably my first two choices, but neither is available with a Wheel Helm. The Nor'sea 27 is nice, but a little to hard to trailer. I think the Seaward 26 is probably the best compromise of all the boats I have seen or considered. I don't like any of the new boats, primary because of their styling! Most don't have opening Ports Windows and their exteriors/interiors are way to sterile, i.e. no wood trim. Our current boat, a Seaward 23 with Yanmar Diesel, Wheel Helm, Dodger/Bimini, Marine Head, already satisfies our wish list, but it still fun to dream!

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
Hi all,

Let's face it. Currently there are not really that many choices when it comes to NEW trailerable sailboats on the market in North America. It is a specific niche, we have a lot of boats which are ageing and loosing their appeal and looks as boat styling and design is changing. I would like to talk about trailerable boat(s) that we would like to see. How long? How wide? How much? What weight? What comfort features would we like to see in out "ideal" boat? Do post your ideas and thoughts, comments and suggestions. Let the imagination kick in :)

I shall break the ice and start. Here is what I would like to have in my "ideal" boat.

Price (ready to sail, with motor, trailer etc, "turn key package") : below $55000
Length: 24-26ft (hull length, LOA can be longer)
Beam: Maximum legal is 8'6" (no permit) in US and Canada.
Type: Centreboard/light swing keel
Draft: min 1ft, max (keel down) say around 6ft
Self righting
Standing height: min 5'8
Outboard in a well with possibility to lift it up out of the water stream
Maximum waterline length (so nearly vertical bow)
Maximum beam carried aft
Hard chimes for larger internal volume
No balsa sandwich
Enclosed head
Plenty of wood inside
Well equipped galley
Standard roller
Standard lazy jack w/integrated sail cover
Swim platform
Integrated mast lowering system to go under bridges etc on the fly
Kick up rudder
Ballast: balance of solid ballast in the hull and water ballast for towing with larger SUV

So these would be my requirements. Yes, I know the boat would have a higher freeboard, but as a boat I would use extensively on weekends or longer, I do want more comfort than comfortable sitting height.
I spent considerable time on trying to figure this question out myself. Assuming we win the lottery, I've come up with several boats that I think would do it for us. The Dana 24 and the Pacifica Flicka are probably my first two choices, but neither is available with a Wheel Helm. The Nor'sea 27 is nice, but again no Wheel Helm and a little to hard to trailer. I think the Seaward 26 is probably the best compromise of all the boats I have seen or considered. I don't like any of the new boats, primary because of their styling! Most don't have opening Ports Windows and their exteriors/interiors are way to sterile, i.e. no wood trim. Our current boat, a Seaward 23 with Teak Trim, Yanmar Diesel, Wheel Helm, Dodger/Bimini, Marine Head, already satisfies our wish list, but it still fun to dream!

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
The Dana 24 and the Pacifica Flicka are probably my first two choices, but neither is available with a Wheel Helm. The Nor'sea 27 is nice, but again no Wheel Helm and a little to hard to trailer.
I personally wouldn't want a wheel on anything smaller than a 30' sailboat. They eat up too much cockpit and you lose so much feel and feedback that you get from a tiller. Put on a tiller extension and there are so many comfortable positions you can steer from, too.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
If I had the jing for a new boat (which i do not), I must admit looking at a lot of used boats, besides being trailerable I would want it beachable. I look at boats with retractable keels. I think water ballast is okay, but feel some lead in their bellies would bring the displacement up, and the CG down.

So maybe a lead swing keel with some lead in the ballast tanks, but a clean bottom with the keel retracted. I know a retractable keel compromises sea handling/blue water capability, but being able to simply beach the boat onshore would be a big plus for a trailerable cruiser. How to make an inboard engine beachable is a better question.

Nov 8, 2010
If I had the jing for a new boat (which i do not), I must admit looking at a lot of used boats, besides being trailerable I would want it beachable. I look at boats with retractable keels. I think water ballast is okay, but feel some lead in their bellies would bring the displacement up, and the CG down.

So maybe a lead swing keel with some lead in the ballast tanks, but a clean bottom with the keel retracted. I know a retractable keel compromises sea handling/blue water capability, but being able to simply beach the boat onshore would be a big plus for a trailerable cruiser. How to make an inboard engine beachable is a better question.
Clanker,
That can be a hard ask; a small boat with a decent performing keel that fully retracts into the hull. Part of the issue can be how much room the keel needs inside the living area of a small boat; done poorly it can be a disaster.

One boat that does pretty well in the Jeanneau Sun2000. Its not sold here in the USA but one SBO member liked it some much he convinced Jeanneau USA to sell him one anyway!

You are correct, they beach well.

And still sail well!

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
That can be a hard ask; a small boat with a decent performing keel that fully retracts into the hull.
You are correct, they beach well.
Well, as everyone says, everything is a compromise. However, if the main objective of cruising is the ability to camp, if we truly want to experience full utility, then being able to come ashore or run aground on a sand spit, and still remain level, should not be compromised.

The Hunter 240 could work, and with some mods a Mac 26 could work very well. The Andrew 28 looks almost perfect, except for the price.

Sorry, but for some reason the German Sailart reminds me of a U-boat.

Nov 8, 2010
Well, as everyone says, everything is a compromise. However, if the main objective of cruising is the ability to camp, if we truly want to experience full utility, then being able to come ashore or run aground on a sand spit, and still remain level, should not be compromised.
I agree.

One thing to remember, a 22 foot 'beachable' sailboat will still weigh 2000+ lbs. You might be able to get it to the beach, but you will not be able to pull it up. All of the boat will still be afloat with just the bow touching sand. OK for picnics and the like, but I'd give thought to spending the night unless you were sure you would encounter no wave action. That Sun2000? I'm pretty sure that was left dry buy the tide!

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Speaking of leaving boats during low tide..... TES 24 on sand.

I am looking at the SailArt and I do not see an U-boot... :) Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
I like it too myself. There is some info on that boat on page 1 of this thread. They are sold in Canada for about $46,000 new with dual axle trailer and outboard package.

Nov 8, 2010
I like it too myself. There is some info on that boat on page 1 of this thread. They are sold in Canada for about $46,000 new with dual axle trailer and outboard package.
That's a great price for a 24 foot sailboat. In that pix, what is holding the boat flat? I've seen the drawings and it does not look flat enough on the bottom to rest securely like that.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
The bottom is flat to the best of my knowledge... she will sit flat on sand when grounded. But I leave room to be corrected. On the additional photos I do not see anything to help the boat sit straight on its own.

Nov 8, 2010
The bottom is flat to the best of my knowledge... she will sit flat on sand when grounded. But I leave room to be corrected. On the additional photos I do not see anything to help the boat sit straight on its own.
Wow, cool!

The First 260 uses adjustable poles to dry. They mount into a pad point built into the hull. It is extra HW to drag around, but as they are adjustable and the keel sits on one point, it allows the boat to dry in less than perfectly flat sand. Here is a friends boat in Normandy.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
That is nifty and very useful device. I can see it being handy. If everything goes well, I will be visiting Normandy in September this year to see what is left from the once all mighty and fearsome Atlantic Wall.