Hunter 240 dry weigths

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Is your trailer built by Magic Tilt who supplied the trailers to Hunter for the 240.
Check load range on the tires. Are the tires full at cold PSI? If not, fill them when cold.

As for the bow damage, you need to remove the forward V berth panel that is screwed in place to be sure whether or not the tank lid was damaged as that will require repairs inside as well

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I've seen that 550 lb. number for the 240 trailer, but I know it is a lot heavier than that. I've never weighed mine, but I think 900-1000 lbs. is more realistic, and this old thread seems to confirm that, so I think your boat is fine:

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Crazy Dave Condon - The trailer is the Magic Tilt that originally came with the boat at least according to the paper work and the 2002 tires I replaced after buying the boat. I will open the panel in the V berth and look for damage in side the hull, but what is the 'tank' that you mention in your post? As the only tanks i know of on the boat is the gas tank, and the sink tank. I do not see a tank on the diagrams relating to forward V berth.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
caverun - I will add weighing the trailer by it's self to my list of things todo next time I put the boat in the water. To see if i can confrim it has a higher weight than expected on the paper work. As I would have expected that the trailer should weigh what is listed +-100lbs.

Mar 27, 2010
Hunter 240 Branched Oak Lake, NE
I tow my 2001 240 with a Dodge Durango (rated 6200 lbs with tow package) and it tows very well. I generally don’t take it over 60, though, because of the sway you mentioned. Years ago my dad had a second axle added to his Aquarius 23 trailer for distance towing and it made all the difference in the world.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
With the damage to the bow being that low warrants an inspection to the water ballast tank lid as that lid lays across the hull to form that tank for the water ballast.

You did not say what the load range of one tire X 2 which gives you the total weight that can be carried to include trailer, boat, motor and gear. I have seen as a dealer wrong tires used that did not have the load range which blew.

@caverun owns a 240 and I value his information and is correct on the weight of trailer. You can get good advice from him. If you want to know for sure on trailer weight , look up magic Tilt in Florida and call them.

You should know I was a dealer for hunter and let’s say I know the water ballast boats too well. You can move the winch stand an inch or two toward the trailer tongue to add more weight to tongue weight. Have you inspected your surge breaks?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Mine is not a Magic Tilt but very similar and was 980# with the single axle, if I remember right.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Crazy Dave Condon - I see it the water ballast tank the needs inspection. I was thinking that you where saying there is an other tank like the sink water tank. I will look at it next time I am at the boat. The original tires I am not sure what there load rating was, but the new tires have load rating of 2200lbs and a speed rating of N. I have had the breaks, break lines, and the coupler replaced as the breaks were found to be not working when I did the pre buy inspection. They now work as expected.

I will look in to what it would take to move the winch stand fwd as that sounds like it would be better than trying to load everything in the front bed to reach the required tongue weight.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Rick Webb - It is starting to appear that the community's consensus is that the trailer is at least ~400lbs heaver than listed. which puts it more inline with your trailer and others I in the size range have seen listed on the web.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I ask as I intend to take long trips (>1000miles round trip) 2x a year with the boat future
It would seem that your trailering distance would be greater than “average” so having more than an “average” trailer setup would seem reasonable.

Adding a second axle or acquiring a dual axle trailer that will work with your boat would add a lot of safety and perhaps negate the need to change your vehicle.

I don’t know if you have ever had a blowout or even a flat tire on your trailer while moving but on a single axle trailer it’s pretty scary! Especially if it happens at 70mph ;)

Dual axle will often let you pull over in a controlled manner. They also remove a lot of the bounce, surge, sway issues encountered with single axle.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Dual axle will often let you pull over in a controlled manner. They also remove a lot of the bounce, surge, sway issues encountered with single axle.
And now that I've owned a trailer with breaks.... I won't go back.

• Ha
Jun 2, 2004
Tandem Sliding Spring Hangers

No picture but these I believe are what I used to add an axle to my trailer. I bought mine at Champion Trailers in Slidell, LA when we lived in Biloxi. I had forgotten that I had a guy at the local muffler place torch off the welds for the spring hangers on the trailer I was thinking I used a grinder. After he cut them off we bolted the axle right to the frame to get it home no boat on the trailer of course. From there it was just an Erector set project. I replaced both axles as matching the original was almost impossible.

I will take some pictures of the sliding spring hangers on my trailer and post them. I must be calling them the wrong thing and am not able to find them in my internet searches.

May 31, 2004
-Hunter 23.5 Sandusky, OH
We have had our 23.5 since 1993. After a few years I had the trailer serviced and it was pointed out that the axle was bent. They straightened it, but told me that the axle was not heavy enough. I had thought about adding an axle, but never got to it.

Currently we are waiting to take delivery on a new trailer with a much heavier axle.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Crazy Dave Condon -- I got out to the boat to day, I opened both the panel under the cushion in the v birth and the vertical forward panel in the v birth. I found both to have a spray foam, preventing seeing the inside of the hull or ballest tank. Is there another way to inspect with out removing the foam, or should I look for a shop repair place to remove the foam and inspect and replace the foam? I have already reached out to some shops in my area for for repairing the outside damage.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Looking at the trailer. I find that adding a second axle would be very do able as there is room, but the moving the winch stand is already at it's most forward position. Thank you everyone for sugesting this and helping me out with suggestion on how to do it. I will do this before another long trip. I also think that I will switch out the XC60 for a truck or full size SUV/van, as adding an axle to the heavier than expected trailer will exced my towing rating. If I haven't already done that.

Jun 2, 2004
Looking at the trailer. I find that adding a second axle would be very do able as there is room, but the moving the winch stand is already at it's most forward position. Thank you everyone for sugesting this and helping me out with suggestion on how to do it. I will do this before another long trip. I also think that I will switch out the XC60 for a truck or full size SUV/van, as adding an axle to the heavier than expected trailer will exced my towing rating. If I haven't already done that.
It is pretty straight forward but if you wave any questions on adding an axle shoot them out to me.

I was wondering too where is 1,000 miles away you will be traveling too?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Regarding Tow vehicles. I presently own a Chevy Silverado. No problems towing my H26. I have also towed the H26 using an astro van... also no problems.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
rick webb - If I do have any questions I will reachout. As while I am faily handy(replaced doors, installed outdoor lights, installed my current tow hitch). I am not familer with the trailer world, but it does sound very much like dril new holes and bolt new springs, holders, and axle to frame which are in my wheel house.

As for trips, I am fairly central in Oklahoma(but no realy good lakes here or nearby). Thus a lot of places that I would want to spend a week or two are 1000+ miles from my location. The trip I just did was to Rainy Lake in MN(1100miles). I would love to go again for 2 weeks. Other places I want to go in the next couple of years are the Fl Keys(1500 miles), Chesapeake Bay(1300miles), lake Powell(1000miles), and the great lakes(800 to 1500 miles). I would love to go the Puget sound, but at 2000+ miles it's not very likely unless I did 3 weeks(still posiable, but would be a 1 trip year). Also my job has a lot of 3 day weekends(9/80 work schedule) and a few 4 day weekends each year, so I would like to do shorter trips about once month in the sailing session. As I very much see this boat as way to get out and see the country and to vet the idea of aming for relocating some where I can have a 30ft boat on a big bay or open water. Side note why do people put 30ft to 40ft boats in small lakes(also how do they get the boat there). That's why I am now looking at trucks as why I can tow with my current suv. Reading here and other places, a truck would make it much easier and less stress full.