Hunter 240 dry weigths

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
I bought a 2003 hunter 240 ~2 mouths ago. After a long trip(~2200 miles round trip), I noted that it was not towing as expected for my car(Volvo XC60 2020 T5, 3500lb towing, 350lb on ball). The towing issues where high engine rpm on hwy(>3500 at 65 to 70mph, vs about 2000 with out boat) and sway when cross winds >10 to 15mph(at 55 to 65 mph). It did pull very well when flat with no wind at 70mph(expect the high rpm).

After the trip I removed all items not bolted down, expect the battey(a mouse got in on the trip and I did not want anything to get eaten while tring to catch it) and weighed it on a cat scale. I found the following

Boat and trailer weighs 3580lbs.
Trailer axle carrying 3340lbs
Ball 240lbs.

The Ball seams lows expect it to be about 330lbs, and the total is high even after I remove the trailer(factory listed weight of 550lbs), gas(5gals @ 6lb/gal ~ 30lbs), outboard(2002 Honda 8hp, ~100lbs), and battery(~56lbs). The boat still weighs 2830lbs. The listed weight is ~2300lb.

Thus my questions,
1. Is the 2830lbs weight of the boat to high? or indicates a issue like the fiberglass has taken up water?
2. The trailer weight appears low(for the size of the boat)? looking around it should be like >800lb.
3. I expect that I need a larger car if these numbers are right. Would 5000lb towing, 500lb on the ball be good for this size boat? or would more be needed? As when I got the boat I expect the loaded weight to be ~3400lbs. Instead I find that is the empty weight.
4. Is the factory trailer under sized? As the empty boat pushes the axle limit of 3420lbs.

I ask as I intend to take long trips (>1000miles round trip) 2x a year with the boat future and do not want to push the tow car beond it's limits, or be unsafe with the (trailer axle weight, or ball loading(under or over)). As the intent was always for the boat to be a RV on the water other wise I would have gone with a small cat to have fun with on the weekends.

Edit 1/2/2020
trailer by it's self weighs 1060lbs on the axle and ~60lbs on the hitch ball.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Is your trailer single or tandem axels? Doubt water in the fiberglass. Bigger tow vehicle would help. I towed tandem ski boat trailers for many years without being underpowered and without sway at 65 mph max with a Ford Bronco, Expedition and F250. I also towed it with a Ford Explorer which was under powered and had inadequate suspension and braking power.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Its is a single axle trailer. I am looking at a bigger tow vehicle. As I was expecting to within 80% of my max, I was not expecting it with the boat empty.

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the clarification. Bigget tow vehicle with greater tongue capacity, engine torque/hp, transmission speeds and braking capacity is always safer. If you buy a diesel truck, say diesel F250 or F350 with a tow package (transmission override, exhaust brake, brake contrller, and hitch) you will be set. I have a F350 dually now......best tow vehicle I have ever owned.

With a single axle trailer, as you already discovered, you need to limit your speed, especially with cross winds, towing downhill and on windy roads.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Factory brochure lists towing weight at just under 3900lbs. Even with out gear you are over your tow rating.

it does a appear that there is some weight discrepancy although you list total combined weight just a bit under the listed towing weight.

We easily tow a 260 with a 1/2 ton.

most trailer tires are rated for a max speed of 55-60mph.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Twalker H260,
Looking at the factory brochure it's for the Hunter 260. I have a Hunter 240.

sail sfbay,
If I understand what is being said correctly the single axle trailer will be the limiting factor when there is cross winds, even with a bigger tow vehicle?

Feb 21, 2013
Ditto twalker H260.......F150 is fine. If you make the mistake I made after I sold my Ford Bronco and later Ford Expedition (similar to an F150) and bought a Ford F250 then the wife might convince you to buy a 14,500 lb fifth wheel trailer as I did. This year I got a F350 dually with more trailer capacity and she convinced me to get a 16,600 lb fifth wheel trailer.......go figure. I would hate to see what she would want if I got a Freightliner.....maybe a large and heavy trailerable.......who know what?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Any chance you still have some water in the ballast tank?

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Any chance you still have some water in the ballast tank?
I left the valve open(the air plug was put back in after draining) for the 1000 mile return trip and I do not hear water when moving around in the tank. So I do not believe there to be water in the ballast tank. I will double check this when I go to the boat next.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
First step is to add another axle.

I have a 23.5 (essentially the same boat) I added a second axle shortly after buying it as I was not sure where the Air Force was going to send us and how many more moves we had to look forward too. It is not a daunting process if you were a Leggo aficionado and can work a socket wrench you have the required skills.

I've towed mine with a couple of Town Cars, F-150s, and our newest car a Lincoln MKX. I've also dragged it behind my 88 Mustang not far just to sore it in a storage lot, the aisle between the spots a
was narrow and it was much easier to maneuver with the Mustang than the Town Car. Your Volvo should handle it fine, your RPMs should be higher as you should not be in overdrive while towing

Post a picture of the trailer particularly the brackets where the springs attach to the frame.

One other quick thought how level was the trailer when hooked up to the car? That can have a profound effect on the stability of the trailer.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
One other quick thought how level was the trailer when hooked up to the car? That can have a profound effect on the stability of the trailer.
It is level or just slightly down.

I did not know that an second axle would be easy to add. I will differently look in to it as it looks like the single is a limiting factor. I will post a pic of the trailer frame in a few days when I go back to the boat.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Doubt water in the fiberglass.
Would this still apply if there was damage below the water line on the bow. As on the trip the bellow damage was cause by a rock and was left in the water for ~60h (was two days out from the ramp at the time of impact). I was just reminded about this as I have someone come to look at getting it fixed.

bow_damage.jpg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
In the UK the 2019 ( could not find 2020) Volvo XC60 2.0L T-5 is rated to tow braked/ 2,400 Kilograms or 5,291 lbs. The difference with its US counterpart is the safety factor for handling characteristics at two differnt towing speeds. In the UK towing speed is limited to 59MPH while in the US it is legal to tow up to the speed limit, mostly 70MPH. Irrespective of the ratings it is not recommended that you tow a load heavier than the weigh of the car. Your vehicle's curb weight is 4,105 lbs . The problem with exceeding the US ratings is that should you be involved in an accident your insurance company may deny coverage. It is normal that your engine will be towing at a higher RPM as it will not feel comfortable lugging the engine in overdrive. Those extra RPM will put a dent on your gas mileage. Ok make sure your load is in balance; the trailer with a load properly balanced should have a tongue weight of 10% of the total weight with the trailer rails sitting paralel to the ground. Small adjustments can be made by raising or lowering the ball but if a large adjustment is needed, either the load or the axle needs to be moved forward or backwards. I can see the benefits of adding a 2nd axle to meet trailer axle limits. Make sure you water ballast tank is draining completely and most of the weight of the load is placed forward of the axle. If the back end of the tow vehicle is sagging or you experiencing som handling problems you might consider a Weight Distribution Hitch which will also help to reduce sway. I say the test of a towing vehicle is how easy it may pull its maximum towing capacity up a steep launching ramp. I would say lower your towing speed to 65MPH giving your tow vehicle a small boost in practical towing capacity margin and slightly better gas mileage. Do not forget that your boat on its trailer becomes an RV on the road.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Benny17441,
The weight on the tailer compared to the car is one of may worries, at the moment. As I was expect the empty boat to be around 2800lb on the trialer and then to add ~500lbs for engine, fuel, gear, and personal stuff for camping. As I am very aware that when one starts to reach 80% of the car weight things start to get much more difficult to tow. For most of the trip(sans the cross winds) 65mph to 70mph was the speed used, but it was more unstable then I would like(not sway, but the low damping when disturbed. Sway I think would begin at ~75mph, but I never got close to determine that as 70mph was pushing my comfort zone). I found that things were not fully in my comfort zone till about 45 to 55mph. It seams that my car just does not have the margins for towing in the US comfortably(I am aware of the UK towing ratings and how they are developed.). I will stil try to sort out the excess weight issus and see if that improves the towing.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I recently did a long haul with my H26 and posted about some of the trailer problems I was having. Some of this might be helpful here also.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
The tongue weight tread is instersting, I have thus far made sure to pack any thing that can be placed in the front bed and to fill the gas tank when close to the destination. I will need to still hunt down the extra weight in the boat.