Hunter 240 dry weigths

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
rick webb - If I do have any questions I will reachout. As while I am faily handy(replaced doors, installed outdoor lights, installed my current tow hitch). I am not familer with the trailer world, but it does sound very much like dril new holes and bolt new springs, holders, and axle to frame which are in my wheel house.

As for trips, I am fairly central in Oklahoma(but no realy good lakes here or nearby). Thus a lot of places that I would want to spend a week or two are 1000+ miles from my location. The trip I just did was to Rainy Lake in MN(1100miles). I would love to go again for 2 weeks. Other places I want to go in the next couple of years are the Fl Keys(1500 miles), Chesapeake Bay(1300miles), lake Powell(1000miles), and the great lakes(800 to 1500 miles). I would love to go the Puget sound, but at 2000+ miles it's not very likely unless I did 3 weeks(still posiable, but would be a 1 trip year). Also my job has a lot of 3 day weekends(9/80 work schedule) and a few 4 day weekends each year, so I would like to do shorter trips about once month in the sailing session. As I very much see this boat as way to get out and see the country and to vet the idea of aming for relocating some where I can have a 30ft boat on a big bay or open water. Side note why do people put 30ft to 40ft boats in small lakes(also how do they get the boat there). That's why I am now looking at trucks as why I can tow with my current suv. Reading here and other places, a truck would make it much easier and less stress full.

Big advantage of the slides is they attach with u bolts No Drilling easy to adjust if you don't get them quite right at first. If you put your own hitch on you can do this.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Add to your list the NC outer banks and the great dismal
Swamp.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
rgraner -- I will add those as the outer banks looks like it has some nice sand(the sand in golf I find not very good) and the great dismal swamp looks like a great trip though the canal. So much of that area looks like fun to explore. I am fairly disappointed that I live so far from the east cost.

Rick Webb -- I see looking at the install now, the ubolts go around. At my frist look it looked like the holes would go in the fram and u bolts in the holes.

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Crazy Dave Condon -- I rechecked the inside of the hull with your suggestion to look for where the ballast tank ends. I found that the ballast tank ends around the base of the compression post under the mast. I well clear of the bow. So it is not an issue. So I will get the outside damage fixed and hopefully be sailing again by labor day, but that may be a fast timeline though.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
rick webb - If I do have any questions I will reachout. As while I am faily handy(replaced doors, installed outdoor lights, installed my current tow hitch). I am not familer with the trailer world, but it does sound very much like dril new holes and bolt new springs, holders, and axle to frame which are in my wheel house.

As for trips, I am fairly central in Oklahoma(but no realy good lakes here or nearby). Thus a lot of places that I would want to spend a week or two are 1000+ miles from my location. The trip I just did was to Rainy Lake in MN(1100miles). I would love to go again for 2 weeks. Other places I want to go in the next couple of years are the Fl Keys(1500 miles), Chesapeake Bay(1300miles), lake Powell(1000miles), and the great lakes(800 to 1500 miles). I would love to go the Puget sound, but at 2000+ miles it's not very likely unless I did 3 weeks(still posiable, but would be a 1 trip year). Also my job has a lot of 3 day weekends(9/80 work schedule) and a few 4 day weekends each year, so I would like to do shorter trips about once month in the sailing session. As I very much see this boat as way to get out and see the country and to vet the idea of aming for relocating some where I can have a 30ft boat on a big bay or open water. Side note why do people put 30ft to 40ft boats in small lakes(also how do they get the boat there). That's why I am now looking at trucks as why I can tow with my current suv. Reading here and other places, a truck would make it much easier and less stress full.
If you go to Lake Powell go in spring or fall after the wake boat’s leave we go to Lake Powell several times a year and this year in July was horrendous with traffic

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
Sorry for the long delay, but I finally got a round to weighting the trailer by its self.
The trailer weighs 1060lbs on its axle. I do not have the exact thong weight, but it is around 60lbs. I took a while to get this, but I finally got a wet slip an weighed it then.

Though after getting the trailer weight and some more information. I believe it is not legal to tow on the trailer when ready for a long trip, as anything but empty exceeds the trailer axle limit and the trailer + boat exceeds my cars towing limit (both of which if ticked would be very bad in my industry). Looking in to costs to add a axle and to change the car would exceed what I think reasonable for this boat(>50% of the value). I also found with the wet slip that it is very hard to dock single handed in to a 10ft(not much is available that is bigger) wide slip and my locaion does not provied better slips. As the engine is far back and low requiring me to almost lay down to change gears on the engine. So I will most likely be selling it soon as it is a lot of trouble to load on the trailer by my self(it is stored with the mast up, but still takes 30mins to an hour get on the trailer depending on wind) for a small(2mi x 2mi) lake. Which is disappointing as it is a great boat, but just not the one for me at this time.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Would it be worth keeping at Lake Texoma and traveling back and forth to use? Worth a try in the spring maybe?

Aug 15, 2020
Hunter 240 OKC area
I have thought about Lake Texoma, but any boat that I would want to keep on a lake more than a hour away I would like to be in the 30ft to 35ft range so that it easier to stay on for a long weekend with a guest and to be in the size range to build experience for chartering some day. Also a fixed deep keel would be more comfortable in more conditions.

I also expect to move in the next 6 months time frame( hopefully near a cost or large lake). Thus starting a slip lease is not a good idea at the moment. I also got the boat very cheaply as it required a bit of work to make ready for sailing again (it sat on the trailer for 16 years. needed new running rigging, engine work, new jib, and some trailer work.) so I am reasonably confident that I will make most of my cost back(I will be within $1k minus the broker fee). Thus I believe that selling and looking for a new boat after moving would work best in long run. As I am considering a larger budget due to the enjoyment I have gotten from larger boat (I use to sail sunfish/laser like boats) and went cheep in to this one to see how much I enjoy sailing bigger boats.