H23.5 Centerboard Bracket Bolt Stuck

May 22, 2013
Hunter 23.5 Lake Calhoun
Need to replace the Centerboard up haul line and I can not get the large bolt that holds the Centerboard Bracket in place. This is the one in the cabin next to the mast compression pole. Using a 14" breaker bar and it only moves like 15 degrees and then freezes up as if I were tightening it. Need my entire leg strength to turn it either direction.
Anyone else needed very high torque to get this bolt out?

Attachments

Sep 16, 2007
Hunter 23.5 lighthouse landing
sounds like it may have been overtightened and become cross threaded before you got to it; or it's bent below what you can see.

May 22, 2013
Hunter 23.5 Lake Calhoun
sounds like it may have been overtightened and become cross threaded before you got to it; or it's bent below what you can see.
Sure seems like an ugly situation. I can't see a 3/4" thread bolt bending. Might have to gently take an impact gun to it. Just would like to know if others have had a hard time cracking it loose.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Nope
Not right.
Did mine in 2016. Nothing like that.

Maybe rap the head with a hammer a few times to jar any crud that might be in the grooves. If you can squirt a little liquid wrench in there then give that a try also. Then put the breaker bar back on and gently tap the bar with the hammer. Hope it is not cross threaded. If it is, I think SBO sells replacement brackets or you may be able to size up a little and have the threads recut on your original bracket at a local machine shop. Either way, you need to get the old one out.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Probably paint or other crud on the exposed threads underneath.

I'd get an impact and on the lowest setting or air pressure that will work run it out and in and out loosening everything up until it comes out. One advantage of the impact is it knocks thing loose as it hammers away. You could do the same thing with your breaker bar but it will take a while. You also may want a longer breaker bar or a pipe to get a bit more leverage.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
There is a chance of breaking the weld of the nut on the bracket but I think the multiple taps from an impact are less likely to do that than the constant brute torque force from a longer breaker bar.

I've seen lug bolts twisted off where an impact knocked off the adjoining just as stubborn lug nut with no damage at all.

Please let us know what worked. This is something we all may be looking forward to. I did not have any issues when I did mine but it's been fifteen years and will be needing it at some point in the future.

May 22, 2013
Hunter 23.5 Lake Calhoun
Turned out I had one bad thread on the retaining bolt, see photo. Luckily I was able to get it out using this method:
1) spraying penetrating oil under the head of the bolt and letting it sit overnight.
2) rapping head of bolt with larger hammer 15 times. Applying more penetrating oil.
3) using my electric impact gun on low setting to tighten and loosen the bolt a dozen times. In my case the bolt would only turn about 1/8 of a rotation in either direction before freezing up again. I flooded under the bolt head with penetrating oil again. I kept tightening and loosening the bolt noticing that on the loosening turn it would rotate a little farther each time. I was concerned there was no gap under the bolt head. But this was because the center board and bracket underneath was falling down holding the bolt tight. I then turn my gun up to medium strength and fully loosened the bolt.

I will need to replace the bolt and clean up the nut threads.

The center board uphaul rope snapped off right at the place it comes out of the center board.

The plastic bushing on the centerboard pivot pin also looks quite worn.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions in helping me get this bolt out.
Cory

Attachments

• Helpful
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@bigchief

I was involved with that design. The last person who installed the bolt mis threaded the bolt by forcing it on. I always tell everyone to hand tighten first before applying a 1 1/8 deep socket. The good news you did get it off. Yes a new bolt is required. HOWEVER, NOT ONLY ARE THE THREADS SCREWED UP BUT THE WELD HAS BEEN COMPROMISED. SUGGEST HIGHLY YOU WELD A NEW NUT ONTO THE BRACKET. AS FOR PARTS FOR YOUR BOAT, go thru the forum store. You can buy a new 3/4 inch bolt and nut stainless of course from some hardware stores or companies like Fastenal

Do not think you can repair a nut when it has been scored. Tried that and replaced the nut.

When you insert the two pins back, to keep them in place, apply duck tape over the holes. Hunter learned that trick from me.

Only use 7/16 inch line for the CB uphaul line. The rest of the line on top of deck is 3/8 line

Sep 16, 2007
Hunter 23.5 lighthouse landing
Glad you've had a good outcome from your issue.

I'm looking into removing the old nylon sheave under my mast plate. it's still functional but,,, I'm noticing issues. Since you've gotten this far with your repair maybe look into upgrading that sheave to a better quality one.

Kentucky lake water level is managed throughout the year. Having the ability to suck up the centerboard quickly is a big benefit for me especially when racing.

Dfed

Jul 19, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Augusta
Looking to replace my line. Great photos and discussion! Thanks for posting this.

Nov 1, 2014
H23.5 H23.5 Bradenton fl
Need to replace the Centerboard up haul line and I can not get the large bolt that holds the Centerboard Bracket in place. This is the one in the cabin next to the mast compression pole. Using a 14" breaker bar and it only moves like 15 degrees and then freezes up as if I were tightening it. Need my entire leg strength to turn it either direction.
Anyone else needed very high torque to get this bolt out?
I’ve been around seized, corroded, cross threaded , broken threads, bolt extractions , retaps , and dye situations on bolts and fasteners for 35 years plus , marine and automotive. Make sure you get the highest grade quality stainless steel bolt , there’s definitely a difference, and Home Depot carries low quality. Have the nut weld checked for weld cracks and twisting !!! If the weld nut is good , run a tap down thru the nut and clean up the threads . Hopefully the threads are in good shape , otherwise you will need to weld on a new nut .