Funny Friday!!!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Yeah, some of the puns around here are bad enough to send me into orbitals. If you let them, they can become the nucleus of your mental unraveling. I've gotta go, I'm making Avogadro toast for breakfast.

@rgranger - Not all chemists do Bohring stuff!

@Will Gilmore - is your yttrium supply exhausted, or did you change the name of your boat?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
This picture I took at the entrance to the mall in Roanoke VA. It is a list of Mall Regulations. Check out Rule #24.

mall rules.jpg

The implication is that I could fish or boat (in the fountain???) if I ask for permission. Part of me wants to go to the security office and ask for a boat permit. Explain that I would like to bring my kayak in and paddle around the fountain. When they say no! Explain that their own published rules imply that I can get a permit to boat in their fountain and I am now here to get that permit. :kick::p:cool::biggrin::poop:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
That's a good one....

This is not as weird but I find it oddly specific... This sign is at the mouth of the Charleston Harbor

View attachment 193104
There must be a lot of fines in SC that are $1040. I remember back around 2012 a former First Lady of the state got ticketed for her dog getting out of her yard. That fine was $1040, though she went to court and had it reduced. It's a number that sticks in my head whenever I see it, because I do my own taxes (Form 1040).

I suspect there is a state statute establishing this amount as the largest fine applicable to "minor" offenses committed by individuals.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
There must be a lot of fines in SC that are $1040. I remember back around 2012 a former First Lady of the state got ticketed for her dog getting out of her yard. That fine was $1040, though she went to court and had it reduced. It's a number that sticks in my head whenever I see it, because I do my own taxes (Form 1040).

I suspect there is a state statute establishing this amount as the largest fine applicable to "minor" offenses committed by individuals.
That might be it. I assumed some politician got a bill through that said something like “county fines will be increased X%”