eye candy

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
20190817_144945.jpg
20190817_144955.jpg
A converted Maine fishing dory @dLj and I spotted while sailing near Valcour Island on Lake Champlain.
Yes, that's a home made, tree trunk mast, squares'l.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Now, that is something. Dig the rudder mounted auxiliary. Looks like a lot of fun on a limited budget.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
America’s Cup. 18 months away. Two countries have launched new boats.
The USA
F317B0FF-4685-482B-8EA0-E33DCB2440D1.jpegFD74D67B-39C5-4094-8CC5-FCC499AA9057.jpeg

And New Zealand
84D51C19-D353-45F9-8E97-D8CCB4497143.jpeg

These boats are radical new AC75 foiling designed mono hulls. Capable of speeds - 50 knots in 25 knot breezes.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I just can't see the America's Cup multihulls and foilers as eye candy. Meh. The old 12 metre boats ok.. But those multihulls and foilers look like insects and are ugly imo.

Fast yes. Fun.. I don't doubt. Atrractive.. Nope

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Cultural context, historically, determines the social concepts of beauty and they change most readily with success.
For example: the Eiffel Tower was found very offensive by Parisians when it was first constructed for the Paris World's Fair and now it is a symbol of Paris. Jackson Pollock, Pablo Picasso, Miro, even Bernini
outraged their patrons and the public.
The Futurist movement brought forth beauty out of function and the popular art movement of Deconstructionism, which brings us back to Paris for the Pompidou

Then, a whole group of architects like Frank Gehry
. All have become more mainstream and have defined modern concept of beauty through their egregious works.

Not considering the new AC boats "eye candy" isn't wrong. You can't be wrong about your concept of beauty. I am just suggesting that your current concept of beauty will not stand as an absolute, neither for you nor, most definitely, for the public at large.
I find this kind of cultural morphology very exciting.
I'm also am not going to be changing my desktop wallpaper to modern AC boats any time soon. The old J class America's Cup boats are more my style

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think this was pretty much covered in the Fountain Head by Ayn Rand. There is this struggle between the classic forms and the modern. It's an interesting question as to who is the arbitrator of esthetics.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
"through their egregious works."
Just in case you are mistaking this statement as a value judgement. Most people use the word 'egregious' to mean "grievous", but my meaning here is simply "outside the norm".
As far as art goes, I'm pretty broad minded mixed with a generous dose of cynicism about "Modern" art. I love the exploration and the new, I'm sceptical of the "find your own meaning in my art" philosophy. I hate museum art that is untitled or a number for a title. I want to know what the artist was thinking when they created the piece.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Are those boats or space ships?
This has gone from the realm of sailing to that of aviation. Totally ridiculous. The trustees of the Cup have completely lost contact with the heritage of the America's Cup. They should retro to sailing true one designs, like maybe Lightenings, or 420's. If they did that I would actually enthusiastically follow the competition.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
@Will Gilmore, sorry I misread you. I typically use egregious as a strong negative...

My test for art is; I don't consider it art if I (or my grandchildren...) can do it. I agree with you, that knowing what the artist is trying to convey is important. However, I prefer art that's mostly self explanatory - guess I'm just lazy. Maybe engineers shouldn't be allowed to discuss art anyway.:oops:

Anyway, should be some exciting racing.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
This has gone from the realm of sailing to that of aviation. Totally ridiculous. The trustees of the Cup have completely lost contact with the heritage of the America's Cup. They should retro to sailing true one designs, like maybe Lightenings, or 420's. If they did that I would actually enthusiastically follow the competition.
That would be an audience of few. You can join the parents and spouses on the sidelines, because the masses and sponsors are drawn to extreme competition and innovation. This is not the same stuff they can see in the Olympic races. The class 12-meters in their days were innovative, and I’m sure there were some who condemned them. Now you can ride the classic 12-meter boats in Newport anytime you want. They are relegated to being plow horses like the Central Park carriage rides.