eye candy

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Anyway, should be some exciting racing.
Only if there are some crashes. I was told folks go to the Daytona 500 to see the crashes. I think folks enjoyed the spectacle in San Francisco Bay. There were some horrendous crashes.

Boats going 50 knots tend to crash in a spectacular manner. As new and unique as these boats are I suspect the chances are high. I am guessing the start will be key. If you are the first boat in the lead It seems likely you will win the race unless you crash.

I miss the sailing tacking duels of the 12 meter boats.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Only if there are some crashes. I was told folks go to the Daytona 500 to see the crashes. I think folks enjoyed the spectacle in San Francisco Bay. There were some horrendous crashes.

Boats going 50 knots tend to crash in a spectacular manner. As new and unique as these boats are I suspect the chances are high. I am guessing the start will be key. If you are the first boat in the lead It seems likely you will win the race unless you crash.

I've watched all the Sailgp races and there are all the elements of any other sailing race: tacking battles, boats taking the wrong tack, wipeouts, penalties, lead changes, etc. except they're going 35+ knots. One thing that surprised me is the tactics are generally the same as old school boats in bouy races.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL

No question that big speed and foiling brings higher risk. But for me, even without incident, a race at 35+knots is inherently more exciting than a race at 9 knots. Just my personal opinion.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Image result for tom foolery sailboat

Tom Foolery, a classic oyster schooner I had the pleasure of sailing for several years at Sea Base Galveston. Her condition isn't too great at the moment, as she's been sitting in the site's storage yard across Broadway, waiting for her repairs to be finished. A few friends and I were tempted to all pitch in and buy her, but a wooden boat here on the Texas coast requires nonstop upkeep and cash flow...something college students do not have!

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
The Clearwater was out again Saturday. Motoring. Have yet to see her in sail. That is one big Main.