Diesel Won't Start - Completely Frustrated.

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
When Red Dog splashed 27 May, Rocky had no issue with the diesel starting. Hey, it was in my slip when I got there - life it good. Rain kept from going back out to the boat until the 31st. Puttered around, and then thought let's start the engine. Nothing, nada, zilch, no idiot lights, no sounds just nothing. I was on bank one so I flipped over to bank 2. Same results.

Monday the 1st, miracle of miracles, the engine started on bank 1. I wasn't popping champagne yet. I wanted to see the engine repetitively start on both battery banks. No such luck. That first start was the only start I got. Yesterday was more futility. Would not start. So, against my better judgement, left the AC and battery charger on over night. The charger showed maintenance state this morning. Once again, this morning, nothing, turn the key no idiot lights, no noises or sounds that would say it's a bad starter solenoid - just nothing.

I went through today and checked all connections to make sure nothing was loose. I eliminated fuses as I have DC power at the panel.

Two things to mention: Last year I replaced the starter button. Yesterday, I ended up replacing the keyed switch as the old one decided to just fall apart. So I think we can eliminate those of a list of possibilities.

Once again I'm attaching a copy of my as-built wiring block diagram. Hopefully, some one can point in a direction I'm not even thinking of.

Thanks,
Alec

Attachments

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Start simple. Is there 12v at the starter?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yanmar's have a known problem with the starter. There is a white wire that connects to the same stud on the starter as the primary battery wire. This wire runs to the engine switch and then back to the solenoid where it excites the solenoid and the starter does its thing. There are a couple of issues with this wire, it is undersized and the connections often become corroded either of which reduces the current to the solenoid which does not fully engage the starter and it sits there, starting sometimes, not starting other times.

Another issue might be the starter itself. If you pull the starter and take it to an automotive electrical shop where they rebuild alternators and starters, they can inspect and repair it. Probably not a big issue, might just be the brushes for the motor.

Do the cheap thing first, follow the wire and check the connections, if any are suspect clean them up and try again. If the problem persists then pull the starter and take it to the shop. Finally, rewire the solenoid.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Does the solenoid on that starter make noise - normally or today.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
If it's in the spring, and the problem is electrical, I bet it's a poor connection. I know, I know, you've checked them. :)

Having said the above, I had to replace my starters solenoid a few years ago.

Nov 4, 2018
Yanmar's have a known problem with the starter. There is a white wire that connects to the same stud on the starter as the primary battery wire. This wire runs to the engine switch and then back to the solenoid where it excites the solenoid and the starter does its thing. There are a couple of issues with this wire, it is undersized and the connections often become corroded either of which reduces the current to the solenoid which does not fully engage the starter and it sits there, starting sometimes, not starting other times.

Another issue might be the starter itself. If you pull the starter and take it to an automotive electrical shop where they rebuild alternators and starters, they can inspect and repair it. Probably not a big issue, might just be the brushes for the motor.

Do the cheap thing first, follow the wire and check the connections, if any are suspect clean them up and try again. If the problem persists then pull the starter and take it to the shop. Finally, rewire the solenoid.
This is interesting. I was lead to believe the Yanmars were damn near bullet prove.

I know there are at least two wires connected to the starter (solenoid) besides the connection from the battery switch common. I'll try a good cleaning with 80 grit and see what happens.

As for being undersized, this is something that has been very unimpressive about this boat. In doing the new wiring, I have yet to find one wire that is marine grade or for that matter properly sized. Give me a circuit, and I'll show you undersized wiring.

Does the solenoid on that starter make noise - normally or today.
When I say no noise, I mean just that. Silence.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I would start by trying to find out why there are no display lights. Have someone measure the battery voltage while you press the start button. If I had to guess it would be battery negetive terminal somewhere. Move each connection untill the console lights turn on.
Is there enough engine oil? Is oil pressure switch a problem?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Huh? That would only come into play when the engine's running, and wouldn't involve the starting circuit.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If it's in the spring, and the problem is electrical, I bet it's a poor connection. I know, I know, you've checked them. :)

Having said the above, I had to replace my starters solenoid a few years ago.
I'm with TomY on this one. I had a bow light not work one spring... and I had replaced it with a brand new one just days before I put the boat up for the winter. I had 13.2 volts at the battery but only 7V at the light.... so me thinks I have a weird short someplace. I replace ALL of the wire running forward. Nadda! I buy another brand new nav. light... NADDA! A lot of work for nothing....

Then I notice a little bit of green patina on the battery terminal. Cleaned that off, reconnected and then .... I was fully aware of how stupid I can be.:facepalm::pimp:

Nov 4, 2018
I would start by trying to find out why there are no display lights. Have someone measure the battery voltage while you press the start button. If I had to guess it would be battery negetive terminal somewhere. Move each connection untill the console lights turn on.
Joe,
I don't want to sound flippant or dismiss your suggest out of hand. The boat has started twice. When I queried Rocky about getting the boat over to my slip, he was like what problem, the engine started fine. I have also started the engine - once. Turned the key, all the idiot light and alarm horn came on, pushed the starter button and she started right up.

However, I have yet to start the engine repetitively and and reliability.

So, why if the issue is something as you suggest, would everything behave normally when I did start the engine?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Keyswitch is bad, or wiring to it is bad.

I say this because I had to piece together a narrative based on the information you provided. I think what you are saying is that when it doesn't work, what you have done is turn the switch "ON" and nothing happens - "Nothing, nada, zilch, no idiot lights, no sounds just nothing." Which means you didn't even get as far as pressing the start switch before you had a problem. Is that so?

• Helpful
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
No idiot lights? No power; you have probably cut a wire or have a short in the wiring harness from the engine to the control panel. This harness is routed through sharp fiberglass bends under the cockpit. In older boats with years of hull flexing this harness can get chaffed and cut through the insulation. The problem usually manifests itself with odd behavior of the buzzer and idiot lights but it also happen that it cuts through the positive power wire and everything goes dead. You may check for continuity on the harness wires to determine a fault but usually a visual inspection of the harness will reveal where the insulation may be cut. It will usually be found around a bend. The other thing to check is the pin connectors, especially the ones for the power wires. Now if you have idiot lights and intermittent starting the problem might be a drop of voltage in the old wiring. This can be usually solved by installing an auxiliary solenoid or parallel wiring from panel to solenoid. Some relocate the push button closer to the engine inside the cabin. No, Hunters are not bullet proof. The voltage drop is a common malady but usually does not affect the idiot lights. It is also usually intermittent and the engine will start in the 2nd,3rd,or 4th try. From what you explain my money would be on a cut wire in the harness.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
My boat has an on engine fuse which if it becomes loose (has happened) or blows (never happened) cuts all power to the engine panel.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
My boat has an on engine fuse which if it becomes loose (has happened) or blows (never happened) cuts all power to the engine panel.
That's a good one, could be that if he has an inline fuse.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Is there a wire for a neutral cutout switch from your gearshift? On my Yanmar it is orange and goes to the solenoid on the starter. I had intermittent problems with mine. Same symptoms as yours. Turned out was corrosion on the connector. Found this out after replacing the starter and ignition wire. You can rule out some issues by hitting starter with a rubber mallet while pushing the starter button. If it turns over and starts then solenoid or starter are the issues. New replacement non OEM starter on Amazon about $70.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Is there a wire for a neutral cutout switch from your gearshift? On my Yanmar it is orange and goes to the solenoid on the starter. I had intermittent problems with mine. Same symptoms as yours. Turned out was corrosion on the connector. Found this out after replacing the starter and ignition wire. You can rule out some issues by hitting starter with a rubber mallet while pushing the starter button. If it turns over and starts then solenoid or starter are the issues. New replacement non OEM starter on Amazon about $70.
Are you saying when you turned your key on with this problem you had no idiot lights, no panel power?