Diesel Fuel Tank Inspection Port

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
Hi again. Can I install a standard, plastic, waterproof inspection port, of sufficient size, into the top of the rotomolded diesel tank aboard my 1984 Hunter 34? Discovered while cruising the Columbia River in November that I have diesel bug or gunk in the fuel after running the engine for many hours. Not fun to loose power with a barge coming at you and no wind to sail out of his way.

I want to get a good look inside the tank and clean it this winter. I will also be installing a dedicated fuel polishing system next month to protect myself against fuel fuel failures.

Have anything else on the forum installed inspection ports into the standard issue fuel tanks from Hunter? How did you do it?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Yes. Make sure the tank is empty. Need to remove all debris out of tank after you cut the hole.

Jun 8, 2020
Nodak7 - thanks for the photos. That inspection port looks like something you would use on a metal tank - where did you source it from?
What I am considering is attached.

41wWDcpe97L._AC_.jpgRONPNP96-2__94679.1429010785.jpg.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That will work. Be sure you get a good gasket that is petroleum resistant and that the screw in port has a petroleum resistant o ring so that the sloshing fuel does not spill out.

You can also attack the issue with chemistry and destroy the amoeba then filter up the dead bodies using your new polisher.
Worked in my tanks.

Jun 8, 2020
Capt Robbie - Do you have a last name for Allen, or boat name or link to the post? I am having trouble connecting the dots with my search queries.
SAM
S/V FIKA
St Helens OR

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You just need to ask the search geek nicely.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Capt Robbie - Do you have a last name for Allen, or boat name or link to the post? I am having trouble connecting the dots with my search queries.
SAM
S/V FIKA
St Helens OR
Allen's user name is Allen12210, sorry I don't know his last name and if you go into owners resources for Hunter and then mode 34 owners mods his post is in that section with other Hunter 34 modifications

He has also posted on false bilge Hunter 34
He post a lot of great info on this forum. The last post I recall was something about installing an inspection plat for an engin thru hull or something

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I would not use a plastic screw in port on a fuel tank. You need a bolt on gasketed plate IMHO. Easy to make and probably readily available on line.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
The one above is from Fisheries Supply. The bottom section folds and then fits inside the tank through the hole you drill. Also, your tank probably has a center baffle which may mean you need two of these.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I'm lurking here. Here is the link to my post for the inspection port in my fuel tank.

It is filed under Boat Owners Modifications. Searching doesn't always go to that forum.

Perhaps it's best not to use that plastic Beckson access port. The o-ring seal and the plastic may not stand up to long term exposure to diesel.

Jun 8, 2020
The one above is from Fisheries Supply. The bottom section folds and then fits inside the tank through the hole you drill. Also, your tank probably has a center baffle which may mean you need two of these.
Thank you for taking the time to provide needed advice. That was the heart of my question - will the plastic hold up? We store diesel in plastic Jerry cans - so I thought a plastic inspection port would work too. Didn't think about what the diesel would do to the gasket.

Good luck with the Nor'easter from a former Downeaster (Penobscot Bay).

Jun 8, 2020
I'm lurking here. Here is the link to my post for the inspection port in my fuel tank.

It is filed under Boat Owners Modifications. Searching doesn't always go to that forum.

Perhaps it's best not to use that plastic Beckson access port. The o-ring seal and the plastic may not stand up to long term exposure to diesel.
THANK YOU - I have been trying to find this article. How in the heck did you fit down that hole in the starboard locker? My teenage daughter call it "the Pit."

Our '84 Hunter 34 came into the family in July and is proving to need even more work than the marine inspection showed. But its a good project to have when we are all stuck in quarantine. Its unsettling to think you can't trust your engine on a river with current and tide and commercial shipping. Perhaps this next question should be a new thread - but how did you get ride of the starboard list?