Cut off instrument mounts on steering pedestal?

Jan 30, 2021
Hunter 30 Cooper River Marina
I’ve got a 1980 Hunter 30 Cherubini that I’m doing a steering pedestal overhaul on. As part of this I‘ve removed the two big instrument enclosures on either side of the pedestal that housed broken LCD displays for depth and speed - I can get this info off the Garmin display that will mount on the bar above the compass.

Now the ”mounting plate” if you will (shown) still has protrusions for the enclosures on either side. They awkwardly take up space in the cockpit and I don’t know why I would need to make use of them in the future. I’m thinking of taking them to a mill and trimming roughly where the red lines are on the photo.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this?

Is there some need for these mounts that I’m missing?

Attachments

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
You can, and then refinish the refinish the entire plate. You can also just buy a new plate which Edson has in Stainless.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
From the photo it looks like there may be a down turned edge around the perimeter of the plate. The outer edges look thicker than the screw flanges at the center. If so, just cutting it off may look like a sloppy modification, no matter how neat your work. Edison sells new top guard plates for $130 & $160 (two sizes). I would buy the new top plate and sell the old one. Someone will take it as is and be happy with it. I agree, those side mounted instrument pods are a serious obstruction in the H30 cockpit.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I think I agree with Dalliance. I understand the need to save some bucks,
but you're gonna have to live with the result for a long time.
So save the aggravation and cost of a re-do later. Save up and do it primo the first time.

Jan 30, 2021
I guess I’ll post it for sale (looks like I can do that in this forum?) and see what I can get for the unaltered piece. If it’s significant I’ll sell and buy one of the stainless replacements pointed out.

If no one really wants it I’ll just take a shot at milling it down. It does have a lip but I don’t think it would be terribly hard to blend.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Make sure the new Edson plate will fit the Merriman pedestal before you buy one. Carefully check the distance between the support bar holes and also the attachment points inside the pedestal.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Make sure the new Edson plate will fit the Merriman pedestal before you buy one. Carefully check the distance between the support bar holes and also the attachment points inside the pedestal.
Good point. He didn’t say if it’s a Merriman or Edson pedestal. Either way, confirm the dimensions and compatibility first. The original pedestal on my ‘82 H30 is Edson. Merriman went out of business in 1989.

Jun 27, 2020
Hunter 37C Near Chicago
If you decide to cut it down it certanly doesn't have to be done in a milling machine. Vertical band saw and finish with a file/sandpaper.

Jan 30, 2021
If I did decide to purchase a replacement, the original was Edson, and assuming the dimensions for these two replacement parts are the OD of the pedestal, the one listed as 6-7/8” seems to line up with what I’ve got: Pedestal Guard Top Plate

I don’t see hole patterns listed for either though so that has me a little apprehensive. Maybe they’ve been consistent throughout the life of the company??

I do want to try cutting it cutting it first though. Save me $130 (plus shipping) and won‘t have to deal with trying to sell the old one (unless any of you want it). Was planning to try the band saw approach, I’ll let y’all know how it turns out (assuming I can get my hands on a band saw haha).

Thanks.

Jun 25, 2019
Hunter 28 Treasure Island Marina, Kingst
Hello I just read the conversation thread and I would have done the same thing. Also I imagine that the edges of the plate offer some thickness through which you could drill holes and attach whatever you imagine to the sides of the plate, with the screws hidden on the underside of it.

Jan 30, 2021
Also I imagine that the edges of the plate offer some thickness
Not really since it’s a cast part and thin in the middle (pic). There are still the riser bars available to clamp things to however.
D3B26434-92DB-4FD5-AB56-02187E7343F8.jpeg