Complete Refurb - 78 C&C Mega 30'

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Let me be the first to congratulate you! Been following your progress and kudos on a great job. I know you are really going to enjoy this summer!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Great restoration! Congratulations. It is great to see that boat afloat. Please keep us posted on your trips. I think you've created a special pocket cruiser. Enjoy.

Feb 12, 2016
C&C 33 Sorrento, BC
Paul,
Your MEGA looks fantastic in black!
C&C should have offered it as an option.
Have a great summer enjoying all your hard labour.
Cheers, Cam

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Looking good. You'll have some great cruising trips. And you're sailing. The dirty secret of cruising is that there is a lot of motoring involved.

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
This reply was posted on another thread I started for a new dinghy cover....I think it belongs here.

[QUOTE="shemandr, We'd like to hear how you and your Mega got along last summer.[/QUOTE]

We had a blast...the admiral loved the time spent on it.
Had the typical audience last spring when I stepped the mast myself, before letting it float off the trailer. Basically in awe watching the 41' spar being raised.
After the show, a few watched as I backed from the ramp, engaged the thruster to maneuver in the tight quarters of the ramp and fuel pumps, and leisurely made my way to my slip.
Made for some interesting conversation on our deck later on.
After a number of 'tours' above & below that weekend, we eventually got to the shakedown sail.

I'm far from a 'seasoned' sailor, but we ventured easily above 6 knots many times on different reaches, over the summer. Had some fun downwind with our chutes too.
With regards to pointing to the wind, I found it performed well...certainly better then I was lead to believe for this boat.
Some might have noticed that I decided to run a single point cabin top mainsail sheeting arrangement...obviously restricting my ability to completely centre the boom (while maintaining ease of trim) a natural necessity for pointing....
but with such a large sail area I wanted to run full time gybe preventers - with those in place I am able use the windward preventer to bring the boom to centreline or further when I want to heave to.
This resulted in a very functional and safe mid boom sheeting set up (including the boom vang)

My best friend of 34 years and I played hooky one afternoon and spent four plus hours burying the bow during a small craft warning North of Lake Erie's Long Point. Not another boat in site the whole time.....what a rush! :yeah:

Have to say, the high freeboard, narrow beam & and flared bow made for a confident & comforting sail that day. Although the decks were soaked,we stayed dry the entire time.

As mentioned above, we had to heave to for 20 mins while my friend (&VP) had to join a conference call on his cell.....I relaxed and ate my lunch, and was totally impressed with the stability that 2250 lb bulb keel provided us as the wind howled.

Like anyone who owns 'a hole in the water'...I admire the performance, craftsmanship & qualities of many different kinds of sailboats small & large, but for my sailing needs, I am simply delighted at the outcome and abilities of this C&C.

All smiles!

Paul

Feb 11, 2012
Enjoyed our new tender a lot....put many a mile on that old 8hp.
Think the 8hp is sold though...
Just bought a brand new 20 hp battery less fuel injected Suzuki for the Highfield.
Boat show special....with a full 6 year warranty.
image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Returning home....taking the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry from South Baymouth, Manitoulin Island to Tobermory (Bruce Penninsula)
IMG_0633.JPG IMG_0625.JPG IMG_0624.JPG IMG_0635.JPG

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Nice work.
There was a Mega for sale here, but I wasn't ready to make the commitment at the time. i've always wondered about them as a fast trailerable cruiser.

How much head room do they have ?
Any complaints so far ?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2012
Nice work.
There was a Mega for sale here, but I wasn't ready to make the commitment at the time. i've always wondered about them as a fast trailerable cruiser.

How much head room do they have ?
Any complaints so far ?
No complaints.... it's responsive, extremely stable, easily reaches hull speed, points well, balanced helm, sails well on autopilot, huge cockpit for a 30'er, shallow 23" draft with keel retracted, and arguably the largest, most affordable trailer sailor out there.

The head room is 6'2"....do not mistake this sailboat for a roomy wide beamed cruiser, at midship the beam is just shy of 8' and at 30' of length, it slices beautifully through the water.

Without a doubt, where we sail and moor....the single best addition was our bow thruster.
Our only contention was lack of control with a 9.9 outboard.
Switching to a high thrust 4 blade Solas prop helped tremendously, but still would not give up our thruster.

Regards , Paul