Commissioning tasks and ongoing improvements of a 83 Cat 22 from trailer to saltwatercamper

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
To reduce the weather helm, try the spacer behind the top gudgeon. mine is quarter inch thick or so. Helps in reducing the annoying turn to windward when I let go to the tiller even with the tiller tamer pretty tight on friction
20190505_152205.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
To all , last chance for 2019 mods , for those of us with boat not wrapped up for bitter winter. Looks sunny and 70 with light east wind for Xmas day here in Pensacola, FL.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
To all , last chance for 2019 mods , for those of us with boat not wrapped up for bitter winter. Looks sunny and 70 with light east wind for Xmas day here in Pensacola, FL.

Ah... rub it in... 48 degrees here. 2020 is going to be a good year. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all-

Sep 14, 2014
Well another year, another project or nine. Prolly gonna remove port side rubrail to chase possible leaks there putting small amounts of water in bilge as have seen it running down inside of hull on that side. Only when sailing or when persistent NW waves in marina which hit portside. Go figure.

Sep 14, 2014
Of course having said that, now have to address my depthfinder fail, probably control head after 4 years of faithful service has died. Good news is only a humminbird dash type for under 100 bucks. Take off nifty cover I made for it and replace the control head. Transducer still stuck to hull inside with part of a toilet wax ring.

Attachments

Sep 14, 2014
Good news, If you unplug the transducer cable from the power head which is power too, the thing does it "turn it off and back on" reset! All is back to normal, so only cover needed replacement and we are back in business for the shoal areas we sail in around here.

Sep 14, 2014
So new project started today. Have been getting water in bilge on port side when docked with NW waves from squalls and when under sail. Not much but when I drew a chalk line on inside of hull visible through aft dinnette seat compartment I could see streaks through every few inches like series of holes along the rubrail. Soooo i removed the vinyl insert and screws marking screw locations with a pencil mark on hull. Lo and behold the old story about extra possible unsealed holes in the rub rail area are true. Annotated picture below. So I am now taking off the first 2/3 of the rail on the port side from transom to just near front of cabin. Will rehab it and let all now how I did that and if it worked later.
Mark up of area under rub rail.jpg

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Any thoughts on being able to reinstall the vinyl insert without buying new insert.
HOT water to soften it, work it into the extrusion as you go with a 3-in-one tool or rigid putty knife....

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Any thoughts on being able to reinstall the vinyl insert without buying new insert.
Pack a lunch. ;)

Seriously, even brand new insert can be a challenge. Hot water like rpludwig said, or better yet a heat gun if you have one. And beer.

Sep 14, 2014
Got half of old one back in, but after 37 plus years (probably) it is pretty stiff and hard to put back in. I already bought the replacement from Catalina Direct to use on side left after rehabbing stern on port and up to windows on port side.

Sep 14, 2014
Another little project while waiting for weather to sail by, Re sewed the winch covers I had put elastic inside to hold on (which did not do well) picked off seams and elastic . New idea put velcro on one side and strap with velcro on other and just wrap until the velcro matches up. Works just fine, little finicky on measurements so safety pinned locations of strap end on winch itself and brought home to sew up. Pictures below. (added ships logo iron on to covers )
Winch covers (1).jpg
Winch covers (2).jpg
Winch covers (4).jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Finally got a good day for sailing instead of working on boat so went under the new 3 mile bridge and took picture of new span from deck of boat under sail. Proof of its me in selfie too.
20200516_143437.jpg
20200516_144432.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
All boats are work in progress, ie commissioning over and over again. And bridge work is slow right now because of restriction of work hours for pile driving because of sturgeon season migration. I am not kidding, really!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
All boats are work in progress, ie commissioning over and over again.
Same as that bridge, apparently. They were hammering away on that thing when we were there for the 2015 B.E.E.R. cruise.

We actually got a good scare as we were sailing under it. The wind seemed to get completely blocked right in the middle. We drifted to a stop, the boat turned sideways in the channel, a speedboat was coming straight at us doing warp nine, and (of course) the outboard decided it didn't want to start. :yikes: