Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Same size as mine and I successfully used bed-it-butyl tape.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I used my ring of Bed-it tape purchased from mainsail this past weekend to set my new grab rails, a total of 16 "pads" I spent less than 3 minutes cleaning up the excess after compression. Plastic putty knife, one swipe on each and then dab dab dab with a ball of tape to pick up any excess left on the deck.

Last fall I re-bedded ONE chain plate using an "off brand" tape purchased via amazon as I need it the next day. That job took me more than an hour to clean one and still looks sloppy.

NOT ALL TAPE IS EQUAL. Do yourself and your boat a favor, buy the right stuff the first time. Lesson learned for me. I am not sure what the shelf life is but I am happy to have 2 rolls.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
I bought two rolls back in 2012. That was two boats ago. I've done a lot of rebedding and I still have 1.5 rolls. I keep it in a ziploc freezer bag and it never seems to age.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Here's a quick tip to rebed many deck fittings:
1. Remove fitting
2. Use a countersink bit in reverse (reduces spider cracks) to enlarge the surface of the hole. This usually takes 10-15 seconds
3. Take 1/2-1" of bedit and dab the hole to remove fiberglass dust
4. Apply bedit to fastener and/or hardware and reinstall

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Last fall I re-bedded ONE chain plate using an "off brand" tape purchased via amazon as I need it the next day. That job took me more than an hour to clean one and still looks sloppy.

NOT ALL TAPE IS EQUAL.
No matter how many times we say this folks still don't want to believe it. Bed-It Tape is our own proprietary custom formulation that was formulated, tested and designed specifically for the task of re-bedding deck hardware.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Maine Sail there is a great saying used by horsemen...
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink."

Or as my father like to remind me... I buy you books to read and improve your understanding, and you eat the pages... what am I going to do with you.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Had to remove multiple layers of butyl from multiple manufacturers. A friend told me that the yard he works at uses acetone. Since these were windows I knew that was a bad idea. Goo Gone worked great without damaging the plexi.

1. Apply solvent. Use a brush to reduce solvent usage. Let sit until you see it turn to a very soft state
2. Use a stiff brush and/or a scraper. Plastic razor blades work well but if the surface allows, a metal scraper works even better. A metal "chopper" for food (found at Dollar Tree) worked the best due to the rounded corners

Feb 6, 1998
Had to remove multiple layers of butyl from multiple manufacturers. A friend told me that the yard he works at uses acetone. Since these were windows I knew that was a bad idea. Goo Gone worked great without damaging the plexi.

1. Apply solvent. Use a brush to reduce solvent usage. Let sit until you see it turn to a very soft state
2. Use a stiff brush and/or a scraper. Plastic razor blades work well but if the surface allows, a metal scraper works even better. A metal "chopper" for food (found at Dollar Tree) worked the best due to the rounded corners
GooGone is basically expensive mineral spirits with a few extra ingredients that help slow the evaporation. We don't advise using Goo Gone for Bed-It Tape clean up. Mineral Spirits can be used to clean Bed-It Tape, and most other buytl type sealants. Bed-It does not give up as easily, and is more resistant, but Mineral Spirits is the best option. Bed-It is actually more resistant to Acetone than Mineral Spirits.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Or as my father like to remind me... I buy you books to read and improve your understanding, and you eat the pages... what am I going to do with you.
[/QUOTE]

My father had the same saying!!!

• Ha
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
GooGone is basically expensive mineral spirits with a few extra ingredients that help slow the evaporation. We don't advise using Goo Gone for Bed-It Tape clean up. Mineral Spirits can be used to clean Bed-It Tape, and most other buytl type sealants. Bed-It does not give up as easily, and is more resistant, but Mineral Spirits is the best option. Bed-It is actually more resistant to Acetone than Mineral Spirits.
I assume mineral spirits is safe for most plastics (within reason) as well?

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
Sorry, didn't see that you were talking specifically about plexi. You're right about that. I'm going to delete my earlier response.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
No matter how many times we say this folks still don't want to believe it. Bed-It Tape is our own proprietary custom formulation that was formulated, tested and designed specifically for the task of re-bedding deck hardware.
Given that the Marine How-to store is currently closed, is there any way to get Bed-it? I am running short.:yikes::facepalm:

Feb 6, 1998
Given that the Marine How-to store is currently closed, is there any way to get Bed-it? I am running short.:yikes::facepalm:
No chance. Out of business due to health.I am in talks to sell the formulation/brand, but no firm deals yet...

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
in sturgeon bay, i picked some up at a local custom glass and mirror shop on the cheap.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
No chance. Out of business due to health.I am in talks to sell the formulation/brand, but no firm deals yet...
Bummer. I have tried other brands and you are absolutely right. The stuff you get from the hardware stores, RV and glass shops is junk after you have used Bed-it. It is good to see you back on the forums.