Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape

Scott

Sep 24, 1997
Hunter 31_83-87 Middle River, Md
Just got two rolls of butyl tape. I read in a post the manufacturer gives a 1 year shelf life. Others have stated that storing it in "ziplock bags" has increased shelf life 8-10 years. Would freezing it degrade the chemical characteristics?

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I have been rather cavalier in my lack of care of my rolls I bought from Maine over a year ago, stored open over a year, 140F to -20F. I can't tell any difference or notice any degradation. Not that I am right in the manner i am caring for the unused bed-it product I bought, but by my experience it just doesn't care.

Feb 24, 2012
valiant esprit dartmouth,ma
I just ordered some Bed-It butyl tape from you, and cant wait to try it. The stainless cover that fits over my chainplates attaches to the deck with wood screws. I plan on countersinking the holes in the gelcoat under the plate, and placing the Bed-It butyl under the plate. Any way I should deal with the wood screw, as it will of course spin

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
In some cases the manufacturers shelf life is there for a purpose. But in some cases the purpose is only to throw it away and buy new material. It's tough to figure out which is right. Ours is about a year old with no special storage, -10 to 100. It still seems to work as advertised. Chuck

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Kevin:

I would suggest that you also force some of the butyl down into the cavity around the chainplates. This is typically the area where most of the water intrusion occurs.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Just used butyl tape to seal chainplates and hand rails. I found that using the slick side of the paper the tape is wrapped in makes handling it very easy. You can smooth it and push the tape into the gap between the deck and the chainplate without having it stick to your fingers one bit. Thanks Mainesail for this thread, the photos and the tips.

Costy

Mar 10, 2012
746 21 Seal Beach
Great...Iam convinced now but not fammiliar with the Bed-It Butyl tape where can I get this product?

Thanks Costy

Mar 4, 2012
Hi - I'm installing new teak handrails on teak decks and planning to use butyl tape. Can anyone confirm that butyl tape will work for wood to wood and wood to metal applications? Thanks!
John

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi - I'm installing new teak handrails on teak decks and planning to use butyl tape. Can anyone confirm that butyl tape will work for wood to wood and wood to metal applications? Thanks!
John
As long as the wood is thick enough to support compressing the butyl it works very well. As the wood gets thinner it is not as good...

Apr 23, 2012
Columbia 32 Baltimore
I got my Bed-It tape yesterday and am getting ready for a major bedding session. Here's a question:

How to tighten the nuts? My SOP has always been to fix the nuts with vise-grips and then turn the bolt from the top. This seems to work OK with liquid caulk (like polysulfide) but it seems a problem with butyl.

Is there a trick? I thought about using an (electric) impact wrench on the nuts. I read Mainesails warning; could you elaborate what the problems are? Obviously, I would try not to apply too much force. Any thing else? Thanks.

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
Hi Maine Sail,
I noticed on your site that you do not ship outside of the US. Is there anyone I can buy your product through that would ship to Australia?

Feb 6, 1998
Hi Maine Sail,
I noticed on your site that you do not ship outside of the US. Is there anyone I can buy your product through that would ship to Australia?
Sent you a private message..

Feb 1, 2006
oday 22 on trailer Asheville NC
Bed-It-Butyl Tape- How Much?

Maine Sail,
Will one roll of this tape be enough to rebed my 1979 O'day 22 for the majority of deck hardware and fittings? What is the lowest temperature to use this tape outdoors? 50 feet sounds like a lot to me. A great article MS.

David S

Feb 6, 1998
Oh great oracle of butyl tape did you ever reply to this question?

Where can you get this 'Red Devil' #0698 Butyl
Rubber Sealant?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Couple of issues.

1- Product is far to thin for use as a marine bedding material. The solvents used to make it thin enough to squeeze through a nozzle also wreck its ability to work well as a bedding material. I have tested three or four different tube butyl caulks.

2- The tube butyls are banned in many states due to VOC's because of the very high solvent content. Not always easy to find due to them being banned..

The only thing I might recommend it for is a quick "in a pinch" temporary seal, that you plan to re-do...