Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape

ronbo

Jan 2, 2009
gozzard 44B mkll md
Re: Bedding Hardware With Butyl Tape

Maine Sail,

I noticed you have Newfoundmetals ports. Did you use butyl to install them?
Mine are still oozing butyl rubber after 7 years. I suspect a thin ribbon of sealant would have kept the butyl from leaking around the edges.

Ronbo

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana

Those are some great pictures, Main ! I just did a re-bed of my deck hardware around the mast base with butyl, using your chamfer technique.. A lot of the deck penetrations on my boat are originally done with butyl (ports, genny tracks, etc) and are still fine after 25 years.. Hunter did not use chamfers but I believe that they are worth the effort.. My fixed ports did leak but I believe that was because of the frames deteriorating and releasing the clamp force of the plexi-to-butyl joint.

Jan 4, 2009
Newport N28II Seabrook Ship Yard, TX
If you countersink the fastener holes slightly and put a cone of butyl tape around the bolts and cover the base with butyl tape, you should be fine, yet not interfere with the function of the cam cleat.
Thanks. I'll give that a try. I've always used a ribbon of butyl below the cam base. Do you think it would be better to only countersink the holes and apply butyl around the bolts only? That way, any water that goes down around the bolt head can escape?

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I used Butyl tape on acrylic

Maine Sail, I would be interested to learn the affects--if any--of the butyl tape on the plastic you used. I am sooo tempted to start using butyl on my plastics. So far, I've resisted the urge.
I used butyl tape on the acrylic in my fixed ports ( see posting in Modifications section) no noticeable affects .

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
No, cover the entire base with butyl, especially if you're in an area that normally freezes in winter. You don't really want water collecting beneath the camcleat base.
Thanks. I'll give that a try. I've always used a ribbon of butyl below the cam base. Do you think it would be better to only countersink the holes and apply butyl around the bolts only? That way, any water that goes down around the bolt head can escape?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA

Does anyone know if Bed-It butyl tape is compatible with other caulks? The fixed ports on my S2 were originally installed with a black selant (Dow 700) to both bed and frame the plexiglass sheets. The instructions from S2 are essentially to just tape off everything you don't want the sealant to ooze all over, including the windows (also must scratch up the sealing surface on the inside) and then lay a bed on the deck house opening and around the edge of the window. Press in place from the outside while someone inside cleans up the oozing caulk with a putty knife and a rag. Repeat clean up outside scraping to form a surface on the caulk flush with the plexi.

My point is, it sure would be nice to use black butyl tape to bed the window into the dog house then use caulk around the rim. Is there a sealant compatible with butyl? Perhaps it is too risky to have two materials performing the seal? Your thoughts are appreciated.

BobM

Oct 22, 2008
Are the ports mechanically fastened by through-bolting either the glazing or the frames?? If so, then just use the butyl tape.
Does anyone know if butyl tape is compatible with other caulks? The fixed ports on my S2 were originally installed with a black selant (Dow 700) to both bed and frame the plexiglass sheets. The instructions from S2 are essentially to just tape off everything you don't want the sealant to ooze all over, including the windows (also must scratch up the sealing surface on the inside) and then lay a bed on the deck house opening and around the edge of the window. Press in place from the outside while someone inside cleans up the oozing caulk with a putty knife and a rag. Repeat clean up outside scraping to form a surface on the caulk flush with the plexi.

My point is, it sure would be nice to use black butyl tape to bed the window into the dog house then use caulk around the rim. Is there a sealant compatible with butyl? Perhaps it is too risky to have two materials performing the seal? Your thoughts are appreciated.

BobM

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL

Caulking around a window to contain butyl-tape ooz-out won't work. Even a bead of 5200 will only last 6-8 months when exposed to UV. It would be far easier to deal with the butyl ooz on an as-need basis.

Oct 22, 2008

I'd point out that if you picked the right butyl tape, Bed-It tape, oozing is usually not a problem. I understand Maine formulated Bed-It tape to minimize flowing issues.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
No

Are the ports mechanically fastened by through-bolting either the glazing or the frames?? If so, then just use the butyl tape.
There are no mechanical fasteners whatsoever.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ

I, like many others, have seen the light of using butyl tape when replacing deck hardware thanks to Mainesail's posts. I think it is by far easier to use than any other type of sealant, with less labor required for clean-up (and less towels). Some of my original harware was installed with butyl but seemed to be limited to deck hatches (as recommended by Bomar)

The only issue I ever had was on an deck plate installed on the cockpit sole in which is right under your feet when at the helm (over the rudder post). The stickness along the edges often attracts dirt and grime and may be oozing slightly since you stand on this spot often (or the plastic deck plate is flexing).

I'm think as a solution it would have been better to installed some other type a sealant (life chalk or 4200) that would seal (drier - non-sticky) along the edges so that less dirt would stick to it and maybe use a metal deck plate to reduce the possibility of the plate itself flexing. (Thought or objections?)

But either way - the deck plate does not leak at all.

Sep 2, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 New Hamburg, NY
Re: SailingDog's reply ...

But it's a Hunter... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRelyea
kind of like "This Old House" where they go from location to location .... I volunteer my boat first!!!!

Got me ... !

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT

Where do you buy this stuff? Is it like 3M Weatherban?

Jan 15, 2011
Sabre 34 MK II Island Heights
Precautions needed when countersinking a fastener

If you countersink the fastener holes slightly and put a cone of butyl tape around the bolts and cover the base with butyl tape, you should be fine, yet not interfere with the function of the cam cleat.
Any suggestions for properly countersinking a hole for re-bedding a through the hull fitting? How deep, based on the existing hole thickness (deck thickness) and how much of an oversize (diameter) would be best? In the past I have had issue with the drill bit being drawn in causing the countersink hole to be too deep. :eek: I've used a piece of PVC pipe as a sleeve around the drill bit to act as a back stop so I would not drill too deep. I'm guessing there are better methods.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Any suggestions for properly countersinking a hole for re-bedding a through the hull fitting? How deep, based on the existing hole thickness (deck thickness) and how much of an oversize (diameter) would be best? In the past I have had issue with the drill bit being drawn in causing the countersink hole to be too deep. :eek: I've used a piece of PVC pipe as a sleeve around the drill bit to act as a back stop so I would not drill too deep. I'm guessing there are better methods.
Ther is no real need on thru-hulls. Thru-hulls, like genny track, has a concave channel on the back side of the head to catch and retain marine sealant.

When countersinking use your drill in reverse if your countersink bit is still too sharp. Some countersink bits have a hex head and can be put into a screw driver so you can do it manually. I usually just dull mine in some SS before using it on gelcoat. I keep the old dull ones for use in soft wood or gelcoat.

If you still feel it necessary to countersink for a thru-hull use a laminate trimmer with a 45 degree chamfer bit that has bearing guide. You only need to soften the edge slightly.

Oh and do not use butyl for below water applications. Use Sika 291, 3M 4200 or a polysulfide.

Keep in mind that the hole in the hull should not be over-sized for the thru-hull and should be a nice tight fit.

This shows where the sealant sits to make the seal.