Barber Hauler

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I just sailed on a 115 last weekend and it is set up the same way. It has the stainless ring too. I thought it was the owner's modification because he is a serial inhauler abuser. But now I see that the boat probably comes rigged like that.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Standup blocks for guys. The boat probably runs separate sheets and guys.
I was thinking the same thing, but not rigged for a pole, while the spin sheets are....so maybe they are now using an asym? Then again, I don't see sign of a tack line either. @DArcy - Islay Mist may have to give more information to stop all the speculation. :O)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I was thinking the same thing, but not rigged for a pole, while the spin sheets are....so maybe they are now using an asym? Then again, I don't see sign of a tack line either. @DArcy - Islay Mist may have to give more information to stop all the speculation. :O)
Indeed. You can see two lines wrapping around the bowpulpit on starboard, so I figured sheets and guys. But who knows?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Got the photo from the Jeanneau web site. I thought I knew how it worked, now I’m not sure.

https://www.jeanneauamerica.com/en/boats/2-sun-odyssey/59-sun-odyssey-349#gallery-exterior_16
That photo was one of the first 349s produced where Jeanneau used the same frictionless block for both main and jib sheets. Most owners like myself realized immediately that you couldn't trim the twings when there was tension on the main sheet so we simply added a second block for each sheet.
The twings were designed to act on lieu of traditional jib cars. Pulling them down to the coach roof tightens the leech just as if the car was in a forward position better for reaching. Easing the twing does the opposite and is used for beating with an infinite number of possibilities on between.
A secondary effect is that it can be set up to pull the sheet a bit inboard like a barberhauler.

EDIT:
Here is the proper way it is set up on the 349:

Last edited:

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Regarding barberhaulers on code0s... Usually you won't be able to get these sails any further inboard because they will hit the spreaders like a big genoa.

A bigger issue with these sails is that they often need twings to pull the clews DOWN when going down wind... Otherwise, the wind just spills out the top especially if the sail is a full legal-sized zero.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Regarding barberhaulers on code0s... Usually you won't be able to get these sails any further inboard because they will hit the spreaders like a big genoa.

A bigger issue with these sails is that they often need twings to pull the clews DOWN when going down wind... Otherwise, the wind just spills out the top especially if the sail is a full legal-sized zero.
We always use a twing with the code 0 on every point of sail.
If you look in the photo on #1, the yellow line is the twing and the barber hauler is the green. Here’s another photo of the same race leg, we’re sort of holding our own trying to point with the code 0 up in under 3 knots apparent. The sail was touching the spreaders at times. Would only attempt this in very light winds.
27D3C555-278B-4912-A922-2621C0A1A87C.jpeg

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
That photo was one of the first 349s produced where Jeanneau used the same frictionless block for both main and jib sheets. Most owners like myself realized immediately that you couldn't trim the twings when there was tension on the main sheet so we simply added a second block for each sheet.
The twings were designed to act on lieu of traditional jib cars. Pulling them down to the coach roof tightens the leech just as if the car was in a forward position better for reaching. Easing the twing does the opposite and is used for beating with an infinite number of possibilities on between.
A secondary effect is that it can be set up to pull the sheet a bit inboard like a barberhauler.

EDIT:
Here is the proper way it is set up on the 349:
Looks like if you ease the twing, the black jib sheet will rub on the gray main sheet, a lot.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Looks like if you ease the twing, the black jib sheet will rub on the gray main sheet, a lot.
The sheets do rub a bit when the twing is eased, but it doesn't really affect anything.

Nov 8, 2010
We always use a twing with the code 0 on every point of sail.
If you look in the photo on #1, the yellow line is the twing and the barber hauler is the green. Here’s another photo of the same race leg, we’re sort of holding our own trying to point with the code 0 up in under 3 knots apparent. The sail was touching the spreaders at times. Would only attempt this in very light winds.
Twings on asyms are used to correct the usually totally wrong sheeting angle created in the first place. Spin blocks are really positioned for symmetrics, and for asyms this is wrong. So you twing!

Bill in that picture you need EVERYONE on the leeward rail, close to the mast. You're way too flat in the water. Induce heel to help the sails fill and reduce wetted surface area. Forward keeps the transom out of the water. That j/92 is doing it right.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Same setup on Gotta Wanta, the J122 I race on, Bob installed low friction rings. The purchase is made from the opposite side for allowing adjustment from the weather side. Looks like the blocks on the rail bungied to lifeline are for outhaul as well? When reaching the outhaul really helps as well.
The blocks bungied to the rail are for reaching, we run another jib sheet through if we need to but most round the buoys stuff it isn't necessary.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Standup blocks for guys. The boat probably runs separate sheets and guys.
We do run separate sheets and guys but the guy is led slightly aft of this picture. That's a jib reaching block in that shot. Running separate sheets and guys makes for easier jibes but has saved my ass several times when one of them gets snagged or accidentally released, sort of a redundant system.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Twings on asyms are used to correct the usually totally wrong sheeting angle created in the first place. Spin blocks are really positioned for symmetrics, and for asyms this is wrong. So you twing!

Bill in that picture you need EVERYONE on the leeward rail, close to the mast. You're way too flat in the water. Induce heel to help the sails fill and reduce wetted surface area. Forward keeps the transom out of the water. That j/92 is doing it right.
That J92 weighs half as much and probably has more sail area, even with just a jib.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Yea, we do have an asym but hardly ever use it on the 115 since we mostly race PHRF round the buoys and the straight downwind legs we are better off going old-school with the symmetrical. Tomorrow we are racing a 50 mile long distance race so will likely break out the asym if the wind is right.
On the Code 0 tweakers, here's a couple of shots of the First 40 I race on. The first one shows how far forward the tweaker is lead.

This second one shows a bit more but it isn't set right, the tweaker should be pulling down on the sheet more but we weren't racing at this point so we must have been slacking off :redface:

Nov 8, 2010
That J92 weighs half as much and probably has more sail area, even with just a jib.
Maybe. But the heel is induced by the crew doing the right thing. Its 2 knots of breeze here. We'd be standing straight up if we were not all on the leeward rail. People underestimate the importance of crew placement, on any boat.

heel.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Love these tidbits of knowledge you all are giving. This is a very helpful thread.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Love these tidbits of knowledge you all are giving. This is a very helpful thread.
Agreed!
I also agree that crew placement is always important. I'm a full sized guy and when I crew I will often do the rail meat thing. I don't regard that as a chump assignment. I work hard to trim the boat. I can do much more but if that's my role, I'll do that the best I can.
Tomorrow is our season finale, The Whitebread Regatta. I am sailing on the E-33, a bit of an odd boat. Look for my article in Windcheck Magazine regarding the race. I could do a whole article on the E 33 but I'll probably stick to the race.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I love them, too. We’re also racing tomorrow and I’m going to need a tablet of notes from this and the other threads by Jackdaw and the rest. 15 miles, light winds, probably in the rain. Can’t wait!

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Took us 8 hours last weekend to cover 15 miles. Good luck, heading out tomorrow for a short day sail, temps are finally cooling off.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Thought about rigging a barber hauler on the first upwind leg today, but we were inside everyone already. Went below for a beer, decided to check the the prop, shaft was rattling and jumping, after a few minutes of shifting gears and trying to hold the shaft, there was a big clunk and the shaft was still and the boat jumped about knot and a half, the prop feathered. With just a newbie and a 66 year old fat man that was just a couple days out of wisdom tooth surgery as crew, went with outboard sheets on the jib for the second leg and whisker pole on the jib on the last leg instead of the a-sails. Finished 3rd in class. I think the prop may have been a problem for the last 3 or 4 races.
20180929_175132.jpg

Last edited: