1970 O'day 23' Pop Top Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2010
Oday 1971 23' Oday Pop Top Yet to be determined...
Port lazerette. Previous owners glassed in a shelf (at least it appears that way) for the battery. They left a slot in it to run a strap through. It works well.
So down in the cabin? Under the quarter birth? If in the cockpit port lazarette, where are your gas tanks?

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Oday 23 Manhasset Bay, LI
Mine is under the quarter berth, but I am thinkiing of relocating it to the stbd side. With that Tohatsu 9.8 sitting on the back, she doesn't sit flat on the water. I need more weight on the other side.

Jan 27, 2010
Mine is under the quarter berth, but I am thinkiing of relocating it to the stbd side. With that Tohatsu 9.8 sitting on the back, she doesn't sit flat on the water. I need more weight on the other side.
So you have a 3 gal. gas tank in your port lazarette in the cockpit then? If you guys could give me some idea's on how you laid out your electric and fuel systems i'd appreciate it.

I pulled the outboard bracket and the upper holes show that the stern is hollow, but the bottom has been filled with epoxy and is fairly solid. My bottom gudgeon holes are a tad wet but are fairly firm. I've started making my back up plates with epoxied marine grade plywood.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
I do keep a 3 gal tank in the port lazarette, but that's not up to USCG regs and not especially safe. In boats built before 1980, you need venting at a minimum.

I have been trying to come up with a way of installing some kind of a sealed insert for that lazerette that I can properly vent. My latest thought is to build a box out of HDPE, caulk it and install a drain leading to the gap in the transom.

I used HDPE for my backing plate.

Jan 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure i'll be motoring a fair bit on the inland local lakes here. Do you stash an extra tank below in the huge area as well?

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
That suffers from the same problem -- potentially allowing gasoline vapors to collect in a closed and unvented area. When I use my 6 gal tank, I lay it on the cockpit floor.

Apr 3, 2011
Oday 23 Oriental
I store my tank in the starboard lazarette when I am not on the boat as well but do agree that it is not the best idea. when we are aboard, it stays in the cockpit.

All of my I ran 8 gauge wire from my battery in the port rear quarter to my switch panel that I mounted on the stern end of the galley where you can reach (& see) it from the cock pit. The stereo, bilge switch, and 12 volt outlet are all mounted there as well. Again, so you can see and reach it from the cockpit. I do want to add another 12 v outlet on the cockpit area to plug in my phone or handheld gps and such. I ran the ground to a single stainless bolt that is long enough to stack all of my other grounds on then tightened a nut down on it to keep everything secure. I will have make another vid to show it all. I also replaced the nav lights with LEDs to prolong my battery.

Jan 27, 2010
Thanks for all the feed back! It helps alot. I'm thinking the batteries will work really well in the port lazarette, I just wish they were lower in the boat. We are ok with the gas tank in the cockpit and may make a shelf/cubby to hide the tank under at the rear.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I'm pretty sure i'll be motoring a fair bit on the inland local lakes here. Do you stash an extra tank below in the huge area as well?
Just to chime in here. I'm on an inland lake with a 1/3 gallon, motor mounted tank. I just keep a one or two gallon tank in the locker, depending on how long I'll be out. One gallon with my little motor lasts me at least a month of getting out of the marina and then back from a mile away when the wind dies.

FWIW, I would not put a tank down below the cockpit. Seems like a problem waiting to happen.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Those of us with the older O23s don't have a proper gas locker like many of the later boats do. The port lazarette opens into the area under the cockpit just as the starboard one does.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Those of us with the older O23s don't have a proper gas locker like many of the later boats do. The port lazarette opens into the area under the cockpit just as the starboard one does.
Ah, sorry- I didn't get that.

Jan 27, 2010
Thanks guys, i'm going to start with a 3 gal in the cockpit. That should be more than adequate for my 6HP.

Alot of progress yesterday! Bedded my standing blocks and cam cleat, bedded the companion way tracks and installed hatch, mounted the centerboard winch and sorted out the table. We also finished installing the stanchions and life lines. She's going back together pretty quickly! Next up is mounting the outboard bracket and gudgeons.

What's funny, is this has been a restore and the boat looks no different! Everything that's been redone is unseen. Bystanders wouldn't appreciate the amount of re-coring i've done! LOL

Jan 27, 2010
Here's some updated pics. Lifelines installed, standing blocks, cam cleat, and centerboard post/winch. Note the table is up, before with the rotted sole that wasn't possible!

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Looking good! I need to deal with my rotted sole one of these days. I poured some epoxy down there, drilled holes and anchored the post to that.

What is your plan for the portlights?

Jan 27, 2010
Looking good! I need to deal with my rotted sole one of these days. I poured some epoxy down there, drilled holes and anchored the post to that.

What is your plan for the portlights?
The port lights will be tricky. They are plexi with holes drilled. I guess i'll just use 4200 and see how long that lasts. I would like to use butyl tape, but it seems like i've heard that it doesn't work too well? Is that true?

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Really? Mine had plexi in an aluminum frame. I considered replacing the frames, but I ended up replacing the plexi and rubber gasket.

Jan 27, 2010
More progress! Ports are in, outboard bracket installed, rub rail finally installed, and bottom gudgeon installed. Man it's been HOT!!!

That's enough work for today! The list is getting real small now!

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
The port lights will be tricky. They are plexi with holes drilled. I guess i'll just use 4200 and see how long that lasts. I would like to use butyl tape, but it seems like i've heard that it doesn't work too well? Is that true?
Nate,
Don't use 4200 on the plexi glass. I used to recommend Dow Corning 795 which is good for plastics, but I'm hearing that there are other issues that have come up with that product. Ed K. recommended a caulking for plastics on the forum just recently that escapes me right now. I'll get back to you on that.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.