1970 O'day 23' Pop Top Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2010
Oday 1971 23' Oday Pop Top Yet to be determined...
Nate,
Ed K. wrote about sealants on Page 3 of "Ask an O'Day Owner". I think that you can read it by clicking on to this link:
http://forums.oday.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=132930 Check it out.
Joe
Thanks Joe! We rebedded with 4200, looks good so far.

Some progress has been made, got the mast back together with new wire for the new anchor light, bilge pump installed, depth finder, and new cheapy deep cycle battery for the rest of this year and next. I'll be putting the battery in the dead space under the step in the cabin. I'm aware we'll need to ventilate the cabin while in it. Not a biggie, most of the sailing will be done in nice weather anyways. We are hoping to splash her next week!

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
That sounds like a plan Nate. You've put a lot of work in that boat and it's time to enjoy it.
Good Luck!
Joe

Jan 27, 2010
Happy Day! We've successfully landed a dry moorage spot at our local lake! The last one for next season!

Jan 27, 2010
Got the mast stepped! Invited all of our friends over for free homebrew in exchange for there help. Went up with no difficulty. My gin pole was fantastic and did the lions share. Now we can make sure all is well and we have everything to get underway when we get it to the lake.

Getting really close!!! Can't wait!

Oh, found out that the boat is actually a 1971 model. Never looked at the title until we got it registered. LOL

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
Question? Is a boom vang necessary to sail the 23?

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Oday 23 Manhasset Bay, LI
I don't have one. I don't know what I'd do with one. It seems it would interfere with operating the pop top unless it could easily be removed. I do have a loop at the bottom of the gooseneck which I secure to the cleat below with a short piece of line.

I had the gooseneck with the loop at the top in this picture. I have it on the bottom now. I don't know which is correct. I think I may prefer it on the top. http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/photos/ruidh/3839677378/

Jan 27, 2010
That makes sense, it would be one more thing to do to raise the top.

I have the same gooseneck. The loop goes on the bottom for the boom down haul I assumed? I don't have anything to cleat off the line though. Where is your cleat?

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
I have a cleat set into the track in the mast. There is enough clearance in the hole in the top of the cabin for the cleat when the top is up.

Hole up or hole down? I'm sort of concerned by how much pressure is on that ring. It is tied off when I raise the main and then I put tension into the sail. At least with the hole up, the line grabs the entire gooseneck.

But I think it was hole down when I got it and I flipped it when fiddling with the roller-reefing in the off season. I flipped it back later on.

Jan 27, 2010
I'd be interested to see that if you have a chance to snap a pic. I'm glad I won't be needing a vang - tired of buying stuff... LOL

We did rig the boat and raise the sails, i'll post pics tonight. I have one shroud to replace and we are pretty much good to go.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
I'm sure I've seen them at West Marine. Defender should have them as well. But I can't see anything in a quick look.

West has "sail track stops" and there's a round base one among them. Two of those plus a nylon cleat should do you.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Question? Is a boom vang necessary to sail the 23?
Nate,
A boom vang really isn't necessary to sail your boat but if you ever had one set up on your 23, you would see a huge difference in speed going downwind. It comes in handy when I'm trolling under sail and I need to come up into the wind to play a large fish. What happens is; the sail starts luffing and the boom starts to lift and fall violently in a strong wind and if you're not careful you can get a good wrap on top of the head while your busy fighting the fish. This has happened to me a few times and about a week later I developed a stiff neck that was very painful for about a week. The boom vang would prevent the boom from jumping up and down. What really made matters worse was the swivel type stainless steel bale under the end of the boom that I had for sheeting before I installed my traveler. I had got hit on the top of the head by that more than once and it really smarted so I cut it right out with my Dremel Tool. I hated to cut it but it was the only way I could get it out for the track under the boom. I had been using it for my bungee sail tie attachment and after removing the bail, I replaced it with a nylon wire strap bolted to the bottom of the boom.
You may want to install a boom brake on your boat some day and you're definitely going to need a boom vang to go with it. Store bought boom brakes are pricey but you can make one for cheap money buy purchasing a mountain climbing belay device such as the Black Diamond Super Eight, some braid line, and a couple of sheaves.
For the boom vang you'll need a bale under your boom so that the vang can be set up at about a 45 degree angle and also some kind of an attachment point at the base of your mast for the vang. The boom vang can be made up of a set of two sheave blocks with a built in cam cleat. I use quick release shackles on both my mainsheet and my boom vang.
Some boom vangs have a wire with a swaged ball type connection that fits into a special plate attached to the bottom of the boom. The plate has a round hole and slot cut into it which is designed for that particular type of vang to boom attachment. Myself, I don't care much for this type of plate. I prefer the bale under the boom. Here's a pic of my boom vang. They're pricey but maybe you could pick up a couple of two sheave blocks, one with a cam cleat on it at a marine consignment store in your area and make up a boom vang for cheap money with some braid line.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Good stuff Joe, thanks for that.
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of my boom vang set while sailing. Also my hinged mast tabernacle has a utility plate under it which has a number of holes on it for sheave attachments. I had to cut the back plate off it several years ago because it was interfering with my mast raising. I had been using one of the holes in that plate for my boom vang attachment and what I have been doing is tying a short 1/4" braid line to the end holes in the side plates to form a loop so I can use it for my vang. It works OK but it looks kind of hacky and Mickey Moused.
The most crucial point is the boom attachment. I think that the bale needs to be installed about a third of the way out under the boom from the goose neck. Check out a book in your public library by Wallace Ross entitled, "Sail Power." This book has all the info you'll need on stuff like that. Also check out these two sites for info on the boom brake:
http://www.wwpotterowners.com/JohnTurpin1.html

http://www.sail-world.com/cruising/index.cfm?nid=73062&rid=11
My friend Wayne installed one on his Seaward 22 and he says it works great.
I bought a Super Eight a couple of months ago on the web and I plan on installing next year. Hey good luck with getting her in the water Nate.
Joe

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Cool, where do I find one of those?
If you buy one of those mast track cleats Nate, make sure you get the right size that will fit into the mast track groove. Measure one of your sail slides so you can get a pretty good idea. Rudy probably has these mast track tack downhaul cleats in stock also.
http://www.drmarine.com/

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I had a 1973 O'Day Pop-Top years ago. Back in 1995, I replaced the cabin sole, and my pictures look amazingly similar to yours. I also replaced the fiberglass center board with a steel one.
What promted all this work was that the keel bolts started to pull through the hull. The poor boat almost sank at the mooring. I found that at some point, the holes for the keel bolts had been counter-bored so that onlly 1/4" of glass was supporting the weight of the keel, most of that weight being on the forward two bolts. These, of course, were the bolts that pulled through.
I dropped the keel and filled the bolt holes in the top of the keel socket with West System epoxy, re-drilled the holes, and bought longer keel bolts. Now I had a good 2" of solid glass/epoxy holding up the keel. While I was at it, I installed the steel c/b. I had taken the old board to a metal fabricater and had him cut 1/2" steel to match the shape of the old board. I also installed a 10:1 winch over the down-tube, and ran the control line out to the cockkpit. No more running down into the cabin to raise/lower the c/b. I also never had to dive under the boat to pull down the stuck c/b again, and the added weight down low made her a little stiffer.
I loved that old boat. She gave us many hours of fun and adventure, as I'm sure yours will do for you.

Jan 27, 2010
Wow! That's crazy, and a ton of work... I doubt my keel has ever been messed with. My keel bolts are right at the bottom of the sole. Were yours more recessed into the hull?

Status
Not open for further replies.