1970 O'day 23' Pop Top Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2010
Oday 1971 23' Oday Pop Top Yet to be determined...
Re-Core complete! I will be glassing it in this weekend.

Jan 27, 2010
All glassed in as well as adding the structural brace! Getting close, just need to finish the mast penetration hole.

Jan 27, 2010
The top is back on! Ordering more running rigging next... Do you think i'm going to need a shaft extension on my outboard?

Apr 3, 2011
Oday 23 Oriental
Shaft length

You may need a longer shaft. I have the long version of this motor mounted on the cut out in the transom and have no troubles at all. If anything, you may find that the motor head is too low. The prop depth looks right but you may run the risk of submerging your motor in heavy seas.

Jan 27, 2010
You may need a longer shaft. I have the long version of this motor mounted on the cut out in the transom and have no troubles at all. If anything, you may find that the motor head is too low. The prop depth looks right but you may run the risk of submerging your motor in heavy seas.
How much flex do you get on your transom? Any at all?

Apr 3, 2011
Oday 23 Oriental
Transome problem solved.

My transom was, for the most part, hollow. It did flex pretty badly and even began cracking after a few days of sailing. Soooo.... I drilled a number of 1/4" holes into the top of the transom where the motor mounts (through some wide tape to prevent a mess) and filled the transom with spray foam. It took the better part of a can. The one near diss"ass"ter that I almost had was that the foam tried to expand the transom so I used C clamps and a 2-1X4s to prevent the top of the transom from swelling. 2 days later my transom was solid as a rock and has been working fine ever since. This was the most elegant and least invasive fix I could come up with. It worked. I do plan to make an aluminum bracket that will hang off of the cutout and move the motor back about 6". This is because the previous owner made a cable traveler for the main sheet that works great but prevents the motor from being raised when under sail. The bracket will cover and seal the holes I drilled. However, they could be glassed over easily. I am in PA for the weekend but when I get back, I will try to post some pics.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Oday 23 Manhasset Bay, LI
I opened the bottom of the cutout and used Rot Doctor Layup and Laminating Resin thickened with sawdust to reinforce the transom. I have a sturdy rated bracket mounted below the cutout.

Jan 27, 2010
More small stuff done! Jeez there's a ton of little things to do! My wife and I installed the winches and cleats, all bedded with butyl tape. Glassed in the mast penetration and filled some small holes here and there. Up next is running to the hardware store and buying more stainless fasteners for the stanchions/life lines. Can you believe the previous owners had no backing plates! Almost forgot, installed my little Beckson mini vent up front.

Apr 3, 2011
Oday 23 Oriental
Front Deck

What is the condition of your front deck? Mine is pretty soft, I will be re-coring it soon.

Jan 27, 2010
What is the condition of your front deck? Mine is pretty soft, I will be re-coring it soon.
Amazingly it is dry as a bone! I was shocked to see it was cored, I thought it was solid glass. When I replaced the vent I saw plywood core I was shocked to see it dry and bright.

Post some pics of your boat for me, especially your running rigging. I still have that to sort out.

While we were bedding our winches and cleats I had a chance to look around down below the cockpit and it appears there was some substantial rebuilding of the transom with lots of hardened epoxy oozing down and into the bilge area. Once I clean all the old gas and oil out of there I'll be able to crawl around more and inspect what has been "repaired". I don't have any confidence in the previous owners "work"!!! :cussing:

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
I tell you, I am contemplating glassing in the notch in the transom and mounting my outboard higher.

I rue the day I decided to spend extra for the ultra-long shaft on my Tohatsu 9.8.

I have some epoxy drips under the cockpit from some of my repairs. Epoxy happens.

Jan 27, 2010
Epoxy happens.
True INDEED, mine is more like a lava flow! Which probably means that very little stayed where it was supposed to... We shall see - stay tuned for more "oh my god' moments!!! LOL

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
I was working on the area below the cutout. I was reinforcing it because I suspected that the core there had rotted. I cut out the cap of the bottom of the notch and poured epoxy thickened with sawdust into the two slots I saw there. After it hardened, I redrilled the mounting holes for my outboard bracket. I was surprised to see that there was a gap in the lowest set of holes in the space closest to the cockpit. I tried to pour epoxy in there only to discover that there was no rotted wood there to fill, the gap was built in below a certain point. Yes, I had tried to fill a designed gap between the hull and the skin of the cockpit. Result, epoxy down under the cockpit. I pulled must of it out after it dried.

Apr 3, 2011
Oday 23 Oriental
I think you are right that some of that gap was designed in but I feel much better (as does the boat) with something in there. Speaking with other I have found that all that reall matters is that the core is moderately strong and is well bonded to both the inner and outer skin. We all know know how tenacious spray foam is. In fact, it even sticks to wet stuff. The foam fix was a life saver. I have some oozed epoxy inside the "trunk" as well. Some looks after market and some looks original.

The next time I rig the boat, I will get you some footage and post it with some thoughts you may want to consider. There have been some pretty cool changes made by myself and previous owners.

Jan 27, 2010
The next time I rig the boat, I will get you some footage and post it with some thoughts you may want to consider. There have been some pretty cool changes made by myself and previous owners.
Look forward to it!

I need to order my cam cleat and standing blocks and then put the stick up and make sure the standing rigging is going to work on my boat.

How have you guys stepped the mast? I will be trying a gin pole method soon.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
On the pop top? With a crane at the boatyard before launching. Isn't the gin pole approach for a boat with a tabernale mounted on the cabin top?

Jan 27, 2010
On the pop top? With a crane at the boatyard before launching. Isn't the gin pole approach for a boat with a tabernale mounted on the cabin top?
Yes, but i'm going to be attempting to raise it then lower it with straps. How else were people doing this, it is a trailerable boat afterall... :D

I don't really have access to anything at the local lake we will be sailing.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Is it really a trailerable boat? I think part of the reason for the short run of the pop-top is raising the mast and the second is the leaks into the cabin the hole in the cabin roof enable.

With a tabernacle, you only have to release the headstay in order to fold the mast back. With our keel mounted mast, you have to release all stays and shrouds. Doesn't sound very trailerable to me. I launch in the spring and sit on a mooring until I pull in October.

Jan 27, 2010
Yep, it's not really a "trailerable" boat, as far as, ease of rigging! LOL I'll figure something out...

Status
Not open for further replies.