1970 O'day 23' Pop Top Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Yep, it's not really a "trailerable" boat, as far as, ease of rigging! LOL I'll figure something out...[/

Just wanted to offer that a friend stepped the mast on his Hunter27 by getting 2 idiots to lift it by way of a line strung up the end of an ICW bridge. I was one of the idiots.
Other tall fixtures could be rigged with a 3:1 and this could be easier than the gin pole method.

Jan 27, 2010
Oday 1971 23' Oday Pop Top Yet to be determined...
Yep, it's not really a "trailerable" boat, as far as, ease of rigging! LOL I'll figure something out...[/

Just wanted to offer that a friend stepped the mast on his Hunter27 by getting 2 idiots to lift it by way of a line strung up the end of an ICW bridge. I was one of the idiots.
Other tall fixtures could be rigged with a 3:1 and this could be easier than the gin pole method.
Ah, that's true. I'll keep my eye out for something like that. Maybe even a big tree. Hmmm :)

Jan 27, 2010
What do you guys have on your boats for safety equipment? I'm thinking i'll need flares, fire extinguisher, life jackets, whistle or horn and.... Anything i'm missing? Don't want the CG to fine me...

Where are some cheap places to find these items?

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Oday 23 Manhasset Bay, LI
There are lists of CG required/recommended equipment.
http://www.boatus.com/onlinecourse/documents/regulations.html

I have a lot of additional safety equipment.

I see, though, looking at the list that I don't have any bilge ventilation. I should keep my gas can out of the port lazerette.

I think I've said I want to find a bin like a deep dishpan to plumb a drain in to go oversides and mount it in that port lazerette so I have a safe place to store my 3 gal gas can. I should also look for a gas resistant plastic.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2011
Oday 23 Oriental
Mast

Yep, it's not really a "trailerable" boat, as far as, ease of rigging! LOL I'll figure something out...
My requirements were that I be able to step my mast my self. So I cut my mast and installed a mastender (hinge made by compac yachts). Then I made a home built rig similar to this. This system works like a charm, is safe and can be done with one person (though 2 people make it easier). It takes me about 1 hour to rig the boat. I've only done it 4 times (one was at the house). This is by far the best way to to avoid the cost and aggravation of having a crane put it in.

Note: The mastendr takes about a month the have built so order it early. the Mast Mate is made in Austrailia, so if you want the manufactured version, then order it early, as it may take a while to get here.

I promise I will make a video soon, I have just been too busy this summer to get out sailing (plus the heat).

Jan 27, 2010
My requirements were that I be able to step my mast my self. So I cut my mast and installed a mastender (hinge made by compac yachts). Then I made a home built rig similar to this. This system works like a charm, is safe and can be done with one person (though 2 people make it easier). It takes me about 1 hour to rig the boat. I've only done it 4 times (one was at the house). This is by far the best way to to avoid the cost and aggravation of having a crane put it in.

Note: The mastendr takes about a month the have built so order it early. the Mast Mate is made in Austrailia, so if you want the manufactured version, then order it early, as it may take a while to get here.

I promise I will make a video soon, I have just been too busy this summer to get out sailing (plus the heat).
If you don't mind, how pricey is the mastender? I could probably make one i'm guessing...

Jan 27, 2010
There are lists of CG required/recommended equipment.
http://www.boatus.com/onlinecourse/documents/regulations.html

I have a lot of additional safety equipment.

I see, though, looking at the list that I don't have any bilge ventilation. I should keep my gas can out of the port lazerette.

I think I've said I want to find a bin like a deep dishpan to plumb a drain in to go oversides and mount it in that port lazerette so I have a safe place to store my 3 gal gas can. I should also look for a gas resistant plastic.
That's not too bad really. I looked at some vents for my lazerette - no biggie there.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
And I know from sad experience an empty rum bottle will not suffice for a throwable floatation device. :(

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
nateman said:
If you don't mind, how pricey is the mastender? I could probably make one i'm guessing...
I'd really want to see pictures of it on the O23 before trying such a thing. I'd want to be 110% sure it's not going to interfere with the pop-top or normal boom/sail operation.

Jan 27, 2010
I'd really want to see pictures of it on the O23 before trying such a thing. I'd want to be 110% sure it's not going to interfere with the pop-top or normal boom/sail operation.
Indeed... Pics finn!

Apr 3, 2011
Oday 23 Oriental
The mastendr was a little pricey but worth it. I would say it is better to let them build it. I cant remember the exact price though. Just give them a call and ask for Gerry he was very helpful. Just to eliminate any worries about pot top clearance problems, here is a video showing how I have it mounted. It also shows my fixed transom.

Jan 27, 2010
Very cool man! I think I may have to go that route perhaps... I'll give them a call.

I have two masts, one is gold anodized and one is natural. Booms match the masts accordingly. Both came off 1970 pop tops. So they may have just used whatever they had back then. The gold mast was dropped and bent, then welded and shortened... So I found the natural mast and will be using that.

Jan 27, 2010
I've been trying to find the right sized bow eye for my oday 23. I cannot for the life of me, find a bow eye with a 2" spread. Everything i've come across is far to small. Any help is appreciated!

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
WM has a bow eye with what looks to be 2 1/2" width, 3/8" thread. In my wee mind this should give it just about 2" center to center.

SEADOG
Model # 4492419 | Manuf. # 080033-1

Jan 27, 2010
Where do you guys put your batteries? Our list is getting smaller, hoping to get her buttoned up for fall...

Apr 3, 2011
Oday 23 Oriental
Port lazerette. Previous owners glassed in a shelf (at least it appears that way) for the battery. They left a slot in it to run a strap through. It works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.